Junkyard time capsule

Barry Wolk

"1936 Cord 810 OK License (1958) 5-2228 (warehouse)

1937 Cord 812 Supercharged OK License (1958) 5-5529 (warehouse)

1939 Lincoln “K” Sedan Number K-8367 All aluminum body Purchased from Champlin Oil Family (warehouse)"

shocked.gif

I have a great idea - AACA could purchase the whole lot and start as a parts vendor grin.gif

All members could purchase stuff for half price and non-members would have to pay full price grin.gif

I could reserve a 1937-39/49-50 Ford 4d or 37-39 Packard 4d for me.

Or a '37-39 Mopar 4d! (Need a another daily driver , my '88 Ford Country Squire is too modern for me. frown.gif )

The unfortunate reality is that the costs versus reasonable value after refurbishment are skewed. Most of the 30s cars would take more money than a #1 is worth to make them a #3 car. Lots of parts missing and rust, rust, rust. By and large the place is good as a parts repository not for cars to restore at break even investment.

I saw a similar huge yard on a "hot rod" forum last week. there were probably 300 cars in it but 50s-70s and in far better overall condition. It was filled with mostly 4-door cars that ended up in the junkyard, period. 2-door cars had long been rescued or never junked.

I looked at a 57 Chevy for example and realize it doesn't matter if every car in every junkyard is restored like som epeople believe. These cars are a parts supply. Does the world really need another 57 Chevy 4-door stock or modified? I see 2-3 at every auto event with even 40-50 vehicles in attendence.

I love to look though these places but to be practical about it...... It would seem to me that the majority of those cars are not even worth the price of the fuel to move them let alone if you have to hire someone to do it for you. The only way to do it would be to buy the buildings and property with the cars and other stuff as a whole. Then you would have a "Gentlemens business" that may never cover the initial investment. But if you are weathy enough, and enjoy it, who would care?

Although, I do see there are a handfull of cars there that would command a decent price. But not as a whole.

I do not think there would be a very large market for the parts that are left over as many of the "goodies" have already been picked, and much of the stuff that has been shelved looks ruff.

How much for the Jackson??? That is the only one that I would have any interest in. smile.gif Dave!

I noticed that Jackson, also. But the supercharged Cord would be pretty neat too.

It is absolutely incredible the number of 1930s-40s two-door sedans and club coupes in this yard. Unfortunately, though, i agree that most of these cars are parts cars. Perhaps only 5 can realistically be restored, maybe several more if you've really got some talent and want to do it yourself.

Realistically, with the price of scrap being at an all-time high, most of these vehicles are worth more to the Chinese than anyone else. Remember, the reason those cars are still in that yard is because nobody wanted 'em. Unlikely there will suddenly be a surge in demand for '40s and '50s 4 doors. The Chinese have been big investors in unrestored American antique cars the last year or two.

I think this same post came up last year or earlier in 2007, on this forum. Same yard, same website. So it is hard to tell about the sincerity and business acumen of the now-owners. A well advertised auction would bring throngs of buyers and in that supercharged environment the cars would be sold, probably for more money then one big sale.

I guess there they sit. Why would you not want to try a different marketing strategy after so long. Does anybody else remember seeing this post awhile back - on this forum?

The same issues were debated.

• 7 months later...

How, much do they want for the lot? What I would do, is save the ones with complete drivetrains and that have a chance of being restored, and I would make the rest lawn ornaments! And scrap the 60's and 70's ones and pay off the loan!