July/August AA

I can't stop looking at that cover! I've desided the new owner needs to have a new set of wheels & hubs made for the new tires. This way the "As Found" look can be maintained and the car can be driven once all the mechanicals have been checked out. What's another 50 grand after you get a gem like that.

West will not be doing any photoshopping I don't think as he is in rarified air this weekend as a judge at Meadowbrook. His boss is in Macungie sweating to death...is there something wrong with this picture?

Bob, tires may be a problem. Last I heard there were no more available but the car might come with a set that was sitting at the museum (rumor). I believe Universal sold the last ones a few years ago.

Interesting story (I'll shorten it) on the GM Limited. When they asked me to oversee it's restoration, I drove to Lansing, Michigan and found a set in an old building right where I saw them almost 25 years before. Rubble had been thrown on top but there they were in their paper wrapper with a UPS sticker from 1952! Not sure what we would have done if they were not still there!

After taking many years off from the AACA I think I am now hooked on a permanent basis. The magazine is far and away the one I look most forward to getting each month.

For what it is worth, I think the most valuable thing this magazine brings is an unmatched mix of cars - the right % of representation by era and make. This must take some planning as many of the others do not get it. Dropped C&P after over 25 years, as it is now primarilly postwar with more coverage going to the 70s than the entire prewar periods combined. Not sure I see the improvements folks are talking about in HMN, I guess it is nice to have some articles in there, but the editorial staff seems to be centered pretty much around their comfort zone, and I am not sure how many more 60s Brit sportscar & rat rod articles I care to read now. Maybe they just cater to a different demographic or whatever. Old version at less postage would work fine for me.

Long winded but my point is if you are trying to present something "fresh" and keep the "traditionalists" happy, I think you are there. The artwork is topnotch and the article content is worthwhile reading. But - Please don't overcompensate on either Oldsmobile or Packard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It looks more like a book cover than it does a magazine cover. </div></div>

Ditto THAT!

And also ditto Stonefish's comment about original cars.

Heck of a job West and everyone at AACA.

Keep up the great work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Macungie! Thanks for the reminder, haven't been to that meet is 10 or so years. I first discoveed Perogies at that meet. </div></div>'37, it was HOT, parogies were HOT. The first dozen were dedicated to you ol' buddy.

WRT the tire issue I believe the Limited uses a 43 x 5 tire. Universal lists them in their catalog. The 41 x 4-1/2 (used on American Underslungs and others) tires were available from Universal last year. I actually saw the tires at their business the day before Hershey last year. A quick phone call would confirm their availability.

Universal TIre

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 31Ford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worked on that Model A on page 12 of this issue.. So the Mag made my day! </div></div>

What a sweet car, and a very sweet and energetic lady owner. You will be seeing a feature on that in the near future. For a new-comer to the hobby, she sure hit the nail on the head in restoring that car. Definately not overdone. Her Aunt was the original owner.

Now that I've had a little more time to spend with this fantastic and feature-packed AA issue, I would like to insert a note of appreciation to Pat Thorpe, who explained in some detail, within the article about his & his dad's magnificent woodie wagon, about how his military service affected the progress on the restoration of that vehicle. I would like to salute Pat for his great patriotism and sense of duty. I know there are many more veterans who read these forums other than Pat (a.k.a. ex98th, I believe), and I would like to say THANK YOU to each and every one of them for their great sacrifices on all our our behalves, and God Bless America.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What a sweet car, and a very sweet and energetic lady owner. You will be seeing a feature on that in the near future. For a new-comer to the hobby, she sure hit the nail on the head in restoring that car. Definately not overdone. Her Aunt was the original owner.</div></div>

She even has the original title! The car drives like no other Model A I've driven and I've driven over 100 of them. The beauty of a low mileage car!

Alan, happened to be driving by Universal today and it was as I thought...they are currently out of tires for the Limited. I was 99% sure that friends of mine gobbled up all the remaining tires a few years ago. They did inform me that they may have some more in 6 months so all is not lost. Pretty "limited" market though! grin.gif

Just received mine today Aug 11 in California. I heard they had several layovers for fresh horses acrossed the country! Notice the hole in the side toolbox,, that's where the battery box is, hence the corrosion. Does not appear to have any brackets for sidelamps either. The bulb horn tubing hole is apparent at the cowl.

Did anyone notice in the RM brochere that was included, the 1912 Locomobile? No windshield at all, I don't recall any high end manufacturers in 1912 not having a windshield as standard equipment. Sure would be uncomfortable to drive it this way, but then maybe it is only a show car and doen't go that fast anymore.

Sorry, your rider took so long in getting the magazine to you! We paid extra for the oats but I guess it still did not work.

The battery is not in the location of the hole on all the Limiteds I have seen, it is farther up on a smaller section. Yes the sidelmap brackets are missing in the photo and the correct horn is not shown but both items are not insurmountable.

The Locomobile was restored by a well known brass car restorer who himself collects Locomobiles and is very familiar with this car. The open Locomobiles for 1912 did not come standard with a windshield and none of the catalogue cars are shown with one. Cleaning a few bugs off your teeth is no big deal! Just hope the locusts are not out!!

I guess I can quit complaining about how long it took to get to NC. I think the Postal Service must be using Model T's to deliver them to California. I think I could have driven it there faster in my Model A. grin.gif

Yup that's us, and that's one of our many vehicles. You'll see the fire truck and the Plymouth pickup at Hershey if you're there. Unless you're unable to make Hershey, right now it looks as though the pickup will be going into the truck display at the AACA Museum and will be there until May of next year.

In all honesty, I was quite surprised to see the woodie in the magazine. A week before Binghamton (without the 'P'), West had sent me an e-mail requesting more photos of the Plymouth pickup. When we opened up this issue of the Antique Automobile, we didn't see the truck. The irony of the woodie is that the pictures in the magazine are old pictures. We've made several improvements to the car since those pictures were taken that I can see in those pictures where the car wasn't correct.

Thanks for your kind words on my service. The day before I left to ship out, we dropped the engine block and heads to the woodie off to get the millwork done. At the time I left, the frame was painted, the floorboards were back on, the fenders were painted, the cowl was back on, and the rest of the car was in pieces.

When it came time to leave, my wife and my mom couldn't stand seeing my truck, so my pickup was put in the shop so it could be left out of sight. Of course while I was putting my pickup into storage, it was sitting right next to the woodie. The hardest thing for me at the time was closing the door and walking out not knowing if I'd ever see the car when it was done. That car was one the last things I saw before I left the house. My wife had already left for work and I had about an hour waiting to get picked up.

Winning the Senior Grand National with that car last year was like reaching the destination of a very long trip.

Unless we get the '29 Whippet or the Army Jeep "show ready," you'll see the woodie back out to a national meet next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Locomobile was restored by a well known brass car restorer who himself collects Locomobiles and is very familiar with this car. The open Locomobiles for 1912 did not come standard with a windshield and none of the catalogue cars are shown with one. Cleaning a few bugs off your teeth is no big deal! Just hope the locusts are not out!! </div></div>

Thanks for pointing that out Steve, if everyone looked close they would see the rolldowm fabric & plastic? windscrean, a common feature on high end cars of that era. The 1912 Regal Underslung my grandfater drove had no windsheild either, early racing aeropackage. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...