All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I plan on using only photos I took, and the ones that are on there currently are all ones I took. But if I do include photos from others, a disclaimer is a good idea.
  3. Possibly if you give credit from where you found the image (i.e., "Not my image, from the Internet" and add the web address), you might not have issues to deal with? Seems that much of the Internet is considered "public domain"? Plus a blub about removing anything the owner might not approve of. NTX5467
  4. Personally, we know that the particular vendor had to get the HEI from some place, as they normally don't build such, just re-sell other people's stuff. Which is why I wondered what was so special about that item. The HEI, like any other GM distributor, can be re-curved as needed. Add an adjustable vac adv can and that part is covered, too. Their dialogue is pretty flowery. The stock HEI GM coil will fire a .075" gap, with good plug wires, or even a bit wider. Put a good aftermarket module with that and things are better than factory. Yet the prior points systems would fire a .040" plug with no issues. Which makes the only reason for an electronic ignition the reliability and spot-on timing of each plug firing. Which the various levels of Pertronix can supply under the stock ign cap. IF you wire it inconspicuously, nobody's the wiser. In theory, if you add a Pertronix unit, use some good OEM-look magnetic-suppression plug wires, and add Iridium spark plugs into the mix, that should make an "Ignition system for life". As modern OEM Iridiums should last between 100-150K miles. Even the prior "single-Platinum" OEM plugs were rated at 50K mile change intervals. Provided the fuel system doesn't have some richness issues. At 3K miles/year, how many years would that be? Enjoy! NTX5467
  5. Here's a few available on ebay...there are many more.
  6. If you buy it you have to go at night with flashlights to extricate it from some farmer's field.
  7. I suspect those prices are if you are looking for the original style fins, honey comb or similar, but if you are willing to go with "new" style it will be much cheaper
  8. Sadly price of recore is minimum 2500$ I checked and no guarantees that it fits normal again. I see radiator express has oem build one's for 1400 usd wondering if they ship to Canada or if anyone has dealt with them
  9. I doubt the blue/gray interior was a n option in '48. I also think this Chevy would look better without two-tone exterior and painted in a darker color that would complement the wood trim.
  10. I am not surprised at the price being asked. Trucks seem to be commanding rather high prices of late. They used to be bargains. I am sure it’s a combination of conditions. some, such as a rare Mack pickup (yes they made them) or a heavy Federal pickup - which checks both the rare and style boxes, always have been pricey but now it seems they are all getting up there even the larger 1-1/2 ton trucks which, with a few notable exceptions, always lagged well behind their smaller brethren. still bargains out there but they seem to be thinning out at bit.
  11. As far as I know a 36 radiator fits nothing else. Maybe a 35 but I doubt it. Eights are different than sixes too. As I understand it a six radiator might fit in an eight, but not the other way around. I hope you find something, but recore is probably the only way.
  12. Today
  13. Hello, Mine is original and is the same color as the engine. Best of luck, Reded
  14. Never seen flash light photos used to sell a car.
  15. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/417486980633190/?ref=search
  16. I had the original covers sandbasted which revealed that all three had broken some time in the past. I filled and sanded and dropped them off at the foundry to have recast in silicon bronze. Will report back. JR
  17. Does this car bring back memories. I owned a twin in 1957/1959! No it’s not “perfect” but a sweet car! As another gentleman on this site often says, “I drove it like I stole it!” If I were only 30 years younger!
  18. This thread reminds me of the Gibson Moderne guitar. The Gibson guitar company designed three radical-shaped guitars to be released in 1958. One was the Flying V, another was the Explorer, and the third was the Moderne. The V and the Explorer were actually produced, but in very small quantities, and are extremely rare today, and very expensive, like a quarter million dollars and up. The Moderne was never put into production, but some ex-Gibson employees swear there were at least three prototypes made that wound up in the "morgue," the room where they stashed failed designs in their Kalamazoo factory. At one point, they were supposedly cut up on a band saw and discarded. The story goes that two employees went dumpster diving and retrieved all the pieces and reassembled the guitars. But, no one has actually ever seen them. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top claims to have one, but he won't let anybody see it, and he's probably the biggest BS artist in rock 'n roll history. Someone wrote an entire book on the Moderne. I wrote an article on the search for the Moderne for Premier Guitar magazine. It's the Tucker convertible of the guitar world, El Dorado, the Arc Of The Covenant. Did it really exist? We just don't know. Gibson has issued the Moderne several times in new form over the years, and it has never sold well. It's just a very odd design. I like it, but the guitar buying crowd never did.
  19. Well, that was the problem. I just got it to start finally... I took apart the starter and switched the two positive brushes. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going for a drive.
  20. Precisely! Or of universal application: 3.14 x Radius squared x stroke x # of cylinders= CID
  1. Load more activity