Summershandy

Brake lights on again!

24 minutes ago, Curti said:

I have been using NAPA Echlin brake pressure switches specifically SL142 for years

What's the difference between the SL113 and SL142 switches?

2 hours ago, Summershandy said:

What's the difference between the SL113 and SL142 switches?

As you can see in my picture and Curti's. The 113 only accepts ring terminal wire ends. The 142 has holes in the terminal posts to take tinned, bare wire ends, or ring terminals.  

The 113 matches the original pressure switches used in the late 1920s to at least mid 1930s Wagner Lockheed master cylinders.  But how late in production the staggered-length terminal post type like yours and the 113 were used, I don't know.  

And if you order new wiring harnesses from Rhode Island Wire , they come with the correct size soldered-on ring terminals like the originals used.

There is also a version of that same 1/8 inch pipe thread pressure switch for use with the later press-on type connectors and Rhode Island Wire has the correct wire terminal connectors for those.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, PFitz said:

The 113 only accepts ring terminal wire ends. The 142 has holes in the terminal posts to take tinned, bare wire ends, or ring terminals.  

Ah, I thought maybe thread size or low pressure. Thanks, good to know.

Update: removed defective new switch and bench test with DM. Reading around 18 ohms. New Echlin 113 switch gives no reading. Installed new switch and brake lights work as expected. Best picture I could take of the faulty switch. The only markings I can find are a capital N with either a capital I or maybe it's an arrow. The number 3 is above it. Either way I'm happy now.

IMG_7045.JPG

That's around what many of the older working switches show for a reading.  Sometimes, if you really press hard on the brake pedal, you can get the reading to go lower as the pressure on the metal diaphragm gets pushed harder onto the internal contacts and thus making a better connection. 

Somehow with yours, the diaphragm disc is either out of position, or not able to flex back, or something is bridging and shorting  those contacts without pressure. Either way your good to go now.

Glad you found it.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

That's what explains the different brightness of lights then. I've noticed the brake lights being dim or brightly stuck on. Thanks!