seafoam or marvel mystery oil - simple as that

moran75

There ain't no Jesus Juice.

More specifically, you're probably better off running a full fill of good oil than trying to find a mechanic in a bottle.  Having said that, adding a quart of MMO for 1000 miles or so might help to loosen up a few deposits, then go back to straight oil.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

I'm with Konga, if your engine is running fine (good compression etc) you don't need to add anything. IMHO, Seafoam and MMO should only be considered for an engine with a condition (like a noisy lifter or has been siting for a long time) that you are willing to experiment with a remedy as a prelude to committing to a rebuild. PRL

Between the two choices, Marvel Mystery oil is the best. It's a good way to clean out a dirty engine gradually. The main thing

I use it for is to pour down the throat of the carb while the engine is running to treat sticky valves due to an engine sitting too much and not being driven.

My Riviera had sticking valves at idle when I bought it, and treating the carb to Marvel Mystery oil down the throat cleared it up.

OK Riviera People:  Marvel's is  a superior product. Fresh oil, a fresh filter  and a quart of marvel's  is step.1.  Step 2????   Berryman's B-12 in the tank almost every fill up.  30 years in the used car business and having a large Buick collection has given me braggin' rites.   Mitch

19 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Why?

Tom

Im thinking aloud at mo, don’t really have specific reason for asking at this point other than judging by what’s under rocker covers I have a ‘dirty’ engine...car hasnt been driven out on road for 10 years 

car is being recommisioned and is now running/starting very well,though not yet driven on road - but will be soon - who knows what that will reveal... I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it ..

Re dirty engine - During a previous post it was suggested to run engine with a little MMO and change the oil,maybe more than once - seemed like a good idea to me ..but just out of interest, as I keep seeing Seafoam mentioned elsewhere on the web, I was wondering what opinions if it was any better than MMO....

Opinions will abound re oil additives but unless you have a concern with sticking valves or lifters the best thing you can do is use a modern oil with flat tappet protection and USE the car. Get it up to operating temps for sustained periods of time and the deterergents in the oil with gradually and safely do their job as you enjoy driving while not flushing everything into the oil pan, especially around the oil pickup screen.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neither of those should be used to clean a dirty engine but I have had good luck with MMO as both an oil and fuel additive from a maintenance standpoint. Repeated use in a 34 Packard freed up a sticking valve and reactivated a dead cylinder. I do also agree with others that regular use of the car is the best "additive"...

OK Riviera People: As long as you have the stomach for it, actually dropping the oil pan along with the Marvel's is the very best.  Having the stomach?  You might open up a big and expensive can-o-worms. There is at least an inch 'a sludge laying at the bottom so cleaning the pan like new can lengthen oil life, and reduce contamination.  Marvel's Mystery Oil must be used with every oil change. Fresh 10-30, MMO and a fresh filter Berryman's B-12 in the tank and having your Nailhead (or other lawnmower engine) running on all 8 with good carburation and tuned up will give trouble free performance.

Like i said, I sold thousands of cars in my carreer and this combo was really terrific! 

On 4/6/2018 at 2:48 AM, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People:  Marvel's is  a superior product. Fresh oil, a fresh filter  and a quart of marvel's  is step.1.  Step 2????   Berryman's B-12 in the tank almost every fill up.  30 years in the used car business and having a large Buick collection has given me braggin' rites.   Mitch

Mr.Mitch, when you can remove baking soda from a biscuit without breaking the crust you can then have bragging rights. ?? Just having a little fun. 

My trick to help an older car engine is use ethanol FREE gasoline and change the oil and filter regularly.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 5:00 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: As long as you have the stomach for it, actually dropping the oil pan along with the Marvel's is the very best.  Having the stomach?  You might open up a big and expensive can-o-worms. There is at least an inch 'a sludge laying at the bottom so cleaning the pan like new can lengthen oil life, and reduce contamination.  Marvel's Mystery Oil must be used with every oil change. Fresh 10-30, MMO and a fresh filter Berryman's B-12 in the tank and having your Nailhead (or other lawnmower engine) running on all 8 with good carburation and tuned up will give trouble free performance.

Like i said, I sold thousands of cars in my carreer and this combo was really terrific! 

"As long as you have the stomach for it......." should apply to lifting the engine just to drop the pan.