alsfarms

Speedster Builds.............

The next update will be the fabrication of the spark plug leads wiring loom.  I do not want the top of the engine looking like a cluttered mess with spark plug leads going every which way to service two sets of spark plugs.   Here is what I am thinking of to build for the Locomobile, the engine in the picture is of a Simplex.  Does anyone else have a good idea for building a spark plug lead loom?

Al

S15.JPG

Al... I'd use red phenolic tubing rather than brass. It is very similar to the material often used in period and has the added advantage of not conducting electricity. I have in mind to make something quite similar.

• Like 1

Hello Joe,  What have you been up to lately?  I have a few castings that would serve to hold two wood slats, together, that are hollowed to then hold the leads in a specific order and distribute them where needed along the side of the engine.  It would be a piece of "cake" to build a couple of them out of wood and they would look nice.  I do know that if I decide to go with wood, I will need to have a few additional casting poured.  If anyone is interested, in a few of those castings, drop me a note.  I will try to post a picture of what I have when I can get them out of storage.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Post a photo... I'm not sure I'm following you.

I'm busy as usual... check out my Mitchell thread on the intake manifold I'm making. Also, I just got my planer inside yesterday.

jp

• Like 1

Hello Joe,  As soon as I can get my brass brackets and partial wood pieces out of storage, I will post pictures.  I will check out your Mitchell thread.

Al

Hello Alan,

This is the setup I will be using. I have the castings for the brackets - just (as usual) need time to get at them!

5acbef1da5e87_Wiretube.thumb.jpg.a46c46b6a65fbd6a7c2125e99182c894.jpg

Bracket.jpg.f153d8a4559bd252ddcce2802e3be862.jpg

The brackets simply take the place of a screw in each of the cover plates.

100_4475.thumb.JPG.8f652d159f765437fc3580b1764f545b.JPG

Its hidden by the hood but you can see the tube carrying the wires down to the magneto

100_0035.thumb.jpg.8dd7ea2bbaa6a1e08f813dca5a251b74.jpg

and a poor quality but overall view

5acbf153c37d5_Wiretube-a.jpg.e19dbebc6a426d0d1b14c8a84684a1ca.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Terry,  Did you pour any extra of the brackets you have shown above?  That system looks nice, but the Locomobile is designed differently than the Wisconsin and probably would take more work than it would be worth to use them.  I would like to replicate your brackets for the Model M Wisconsin but will come up with something else to work on the Locomobile.  I also have another of these Delco dual spark distributors that I will be using on the Wisconsin to allow firing two sets of spark plugs.  The pictures above will give you an idea of what they are and how they fit.  Have you heard anything from your Foundry?  I thought he would have some intake manifold castings for me by now.  I will need to drop him a note.  What else have you completed on your  Wisconsin 6?

Alan

Hello Alan,

I have to get on his case too! He owes me two more sets of valve shrouds (Wisconsin model "A")  and some water fittings as well! Typically he hibernates during the winter

but I don't want him to forget! On the other hand his price is beyond fair so I don't like to push too hard!

T.

• Like 1

I will drop him a note but certainly not in a pushing fashion, just to get a status report.  Your mounting brackets are ideal for the Wisconsin, I would need four of them as I will be running two sets of plugs on the engine.  If you hear anything from the foundry, please drop a note.

Al

Hello Terry,

Have you been in touch with Don J. lately?  I wonder if the snow is on the way out yet at his place?  I need to get in touch with him and see if he would work with me to get a set of valve stem covers cast for my Wisconsin.

Al

Alan,

I spoke to Don today. He's waiting for winter to end just like me! At this point a little global warming would be most welcome!

In regards to the valve shrouds - As Don and I discussed, since there are some differences between the early and later engines I am going to 3d print 2 halves that

I can ship out to you to try. I should have these on the way to you by the end of next week. Once we know that these will work Don can drop the patterns

off at the foundry that's near him and get a price for you.

T.

Hello Terry,  Thanks for the effort on 3-D printing of the valve stem covers.  Do you have an idea what the differences are between the "early" and "late" designs?  I am guessing that my Model M is an early version but that is just my best guess.  I will watch for your delivery and verify fitment on my engine.

Regards,

Alan 

More progress has been made with the Locomobile engine rebuild.    The attached picture shows the aux oil pump drive and pump that was incorporated to GREATLY improve the engine oiling.  The original drip oiler has been left in place and is used now as a distribution center and additional oil reservoir holding about 1 quart.  This system works nice and is set at 25 PSI.

Al

IMG_20180306_101753454.jpg

The last couple of months have been rather busy and I have been on a few other tangent projects.  I thought I would post a few pictures of the intake side of my late teens 570 CID four cylinder "T" head American-LaFrance engine.  I am comparing the intake on this 4 cylinder American-LaFrance engine with the intake on the Simplex speedster located at the top of this page.  Another picture shows better the cast aluminum four blade fan from that engine, and the last picture shows a decent engine bracket that does a good job holding this engine up.  The reason I post these pictures is to show everyone the style of the American-LaFrance "rams horn" style intake manifold that I intend to replicate in copper, then have nickle plated to match the rest of the engine appointments which will also be bright nickle plated, (for use on the Wisconsin project).

Al

Last is the intake picture of an American-LaFrance 6 cylinder engine.  That manifold is rather "chunky" and is not very aesthetic appearing, to my taste.

DSC01577.JPG

DSC01783.JPG

DSC01784.JPG

DSC01785.JPG

Al Rather than replicate the manifold, just get it plated in brass or copper... I think its a great manifold. Also on ebay tonight is a EDison battery box like the one you have. Mike

• Like 1

Hello Mike,  The cast aluminum American-LaFrance intake manifold will be staying on the 570 CID four cylinder engine.  That engine is a complete unit that I made a very BIG driving trip in order to procure it.  I want it to stay intact whether I use it or sell it to someone else.  As a result, I will use some creativity and build a new manifold out of copper then have it plated as suggested above.  I have a good lead on a source for several large bore carbs. (to use on the Wisconsin "T" head).  I am just waiting to determine if the carbs. have an integral accelerator pump before I buy.  I am getting set to build some appropriate and very proper brass spark plug nuts for the Locomobile.  I will take a look at the Edison Battery box, they do not come up very often.

Al

Here is a picture of an equal leg brass 1-1/2" "Y" that I will use to build a "Rams Horn" style intake manifold for the Wisconsin, which I am missing.  Here is the interesting part, we each certainly have a "knack" for hunting for specialized parts to assist in building our antique relics.  I had hunted high and low for this type of "Y" and I couldn't find anything.  I guess I am not a very good scrounger.  I was referred to this pictured "Y" from a fellow restorer and am most thankful to have good friends that can help us along the way.  I will ad a bit more information as this project unfolds.  I will also post pictures of a pair of matching brass 90 deg. elbows shortly.  A big Thanks....

Al

DSC01799.JPG