Recommended Posts

You're correct, their package tray leaves a lot to be desired.  This is the first time I've seen this product.  Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered.  

 

Have you checked to see what Just Dashes would charge to redo yours? At least you'd know it would fit.  63s are differentthan 64s and 65s.  Does this product differentiate between the two?

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed wrote: "Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered."

I asked Just Dashes in Van Nuys CA for an estimate some time ago and they were in the neighborhood of $700, but that included the foam core. I'm sure there are locals around who can do it for quite a bit less. My temporary fix was the grained plastic dash overlay also offered by OPGI, but IIRC I found it for less by going straight to the source. Yes, this is a new item from OPGI that straddles the difference. I too would be interested in some initial reviews before parting with the required $$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JanZverina said:

Ed wrote: "Seems a lot more expensive than having yours recovered."

I asked Just Dashes in Van Nuys CA for an estimate some time ago and they were in the neighborhood of $700, but that included the foam core. I'm sure there are locals around who can do it for quite a bit less. My temporary fix was the grained plastic dash overlay also offered by OPGI, but IIRC I found it for less by going straight to the source. Yes, this is a new item from OPGI that straddles the difference. I too would be interested in some initial reviews before parting with the required $$.

 

Having some years of upholstery experience, to recover an existing old pad correctly would require a great deal of labor and time. It can be done, but I'm thinking it is going to be a two or three day process .The condition of the one we have in Roxy's Riviera is rough , to say the least, with deep cracks.  

The original vinyl will need to be removed completely. Then assess the foam condition.  Keep in mind, if the base foam isn't smooth, the finished product won't look much better, kind of like chrome plating or paint.  Every imperfection in the base will show in the finished product. Most likely the foam will need to be buffed down to remove splits.  Then build back up, carefully shaping with layers of IG3 foam,  A final layer of thin foam before installing the vinyl.  The vinyl used for the dash pads is different then what most everyone is use to seeing.  It is more ridged, doesn't have a fabric backing and is applied after softening the whole piece with heat.  So an upholstery final would be the most likely candidate for a one off project. It can be made to look very good, but still won't really come out looking identical to an original.

So to do something like this correctly, a shop is going to have some serious time and materials cost.

 

  Loren@65GS.com

Edited by hupplifer (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with the Dashtop option on my 63. It looks and performs great. Nothing against JustDashes...they just rebuilt an entire dashpad for a 77 Pontiac Can Am I am restoring and their work is phenomenal. Its expensive but worth it in most cases. For my 63 though, the Dashtop option is really solid. When I first got it, I thought I'd install it for now and later have the thing done by JustDashes at triple the cost. Now, I drive down the road, glance at my Dashtop, marvel at how good it looks and contemplate how I'll send the money I saved. PRL

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

took my dashtop out of my 63 and brought it to local shop in my area and they recovered it with new foam for 150.00.excellent job.just dashes was 895.00 plus shipping this was about 6 years ago and still looks perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, petelempert said:

I went with the Dashtop option on my 63. It looks and performs great. Nothing against JustDashes...they just rebuilt an entire dashpad for a 77 Pontiac Can Am I am restoring and their work is phenomenal. Its expensive but worth it in most cases. For my 63 though, the Dashtop option is really solid. When I first got it, I thought I'd install it for now and later have the thing done by JustDashes at triple the cost. Now, I drive down the road, glance at my Dashtop, marvel at how good it looks and contemplate how I'll send the money I saved. PRL

 

           Pete, since are going to SEND the money rather than SPEND it, you can go ahead and send it to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dash pad was in good shape, but it did not match the newly installed upholstery. The upholsterer stained the package tray to match as well as the dash pad to match the new leather option for a 63 Riv. At first I was reluctant to use a stain thinking the stain would fade. I keep the car garaged 24/7 unlessI drive the car about 700 miles a year. Here is a picture of the dash stained.

DB84EEA9-1D8F-4616-B92C-B7ADAD3D4D7F.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2017 at 10:36 PM, redriv63 said:

took my dashtop out of my 63 and brought it to local shop in my area and they recovered it with new foam for 150.00.excellent job.just dashes was 895.00 plus shipping this was about 6 years ago and still looks perfect.

I love it when folks get a good deal by using their head and thinking things out.

Great!

Red Riviera Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my package tray from Clark's Corvair. It was pricey, but really nice. I also like the fact that there are no screw holes pre-drilled in it.  Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the 3 big silver screws across a black package tray.

 You will have to drill out the holes for your rear speaker cover between the seats. Hint: do this before you install it. Um...yeah, lesson learned.

Good luck!

-Adrian-

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to try a Dashtop after reading reviews etc.  I figure if i don't like it i can always go with the more expensive dash pad later.  My question is should I order a color or paint my self?  My interior is saddle.  The dash is a dark greenish brown almost old army green.   If i ordered a color anyone have an idea which color?  I see some greens and a saddle listed but those little tiles are not very helpful.  Any one have experience with these colors?

Dash.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 7:18 AM, flh73 said:

I'm going to try a Dashtop after reading reviews etc.  I figure if i don't like it i can always go with the more expensive dash pad later.  My question is should I order a color or paint my self?  My interior is saddle.  The dash is a dark greenish brown almost old army green.   If i ordered a color anyone have an idea which color?  I see some greens and a saddle listed but those little tiles are not very helpful.  Any one have experience with these colors?

Dash.jpg

Gary, is there something wrong with your dash pad other than that little crack by the speaker hole? If that's all that's wrong you can have

that crack repaired where you wouldn't see it and keep your old pad, or buy a vinyl repair kit from Eastwood and do it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no, not the only crack. I agree though small cracks I would definitely fix. This pic is for color only.  Thanks though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

I came across this on the OPGI web site.  Anyone have experience with this item?  I understand the rear package tray seems to leave something to be desired.

 

 Loren@65GS.com

 

https://www.opgi.com/riviera/BR04108/

 

 I ordered one of the dash pads from OPGI on February 14, 2018.  Haven't received it yet and now been told possible delivery of mid July.  They didn't wait to get payment though.

 

  Loren 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search the archives.  A member who was working on a Riviera with his son installed one of these.  Lots of pictures and he seemed happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was mistaken.  The guy I referred to above covered his dash with a cap.  About $150.  I think they're made by txdashcovers. The cap is an ABS molded skin that fits over your dash.  It's molded with the correct grain.   

 

I worked for a company that installed the Coverlay brand of dash caps, and they worked and looked good.  Perhaps not what you want if you're going for a concourse restoration, but perfect for a driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a picture of Kaber's 63 Riviera with the ABS dash cap installed. His has been dyed to match the rest of the interior.

 

2013-10-27105708_zps61c49e5c.jpg.2c21e5048b2836f93acf6c389fdbcd20.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the one from opgi, was pricey and took 9 months to get it!!!!! It was a good product, not the best, but good. There were a few blemishes on it and had to drill all the holes for screws, brackets, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a quote from Just Dashes on a ‘73 Monte.

about 1g for basic service. Another 150 for cracked speaker area and about 200 for paint match. (Black is standard)

 

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered my "Dashtop" from CARiD at $154 free shipping.  Decided to paint myself to try and match it best.   Probably use SEM paint from paint supply house. It said will ship in 3-5 days we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now