My 1910 Mitchell "parts car" project

That's cool Alan!

Most of the homes in our area are from the 1880's and up. It wasn't until after the Aroostook War of 1838-39 and the

Webster-Ashburton treaty that settlement really got underway up here. In fact just around the corner from my house is

the original site the Fort & Barracks built during that brief war. Like you Alan our town was hit hard by a flood in

1994. The town is right beside the Aroostook River and that year the river backed-up behind a massive ice jam and pretty much

devastated the down-town. The small businesses never fully recovered.

T.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

I'll be gone a month but when I get back I have the Baltimore Gun Show so I'm home about one weekend from now until mid-March. I have a lot of work to do in the British National Archives for the book I'm writing - a project that has been going on for 30 years and is finally coming to a conclusion. I am hoping to get over to Norfolk and visit the 1914 Humberete!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off tomorrow morning to visit the Humberette. This is a first for me...I've never been to that part of England and I've never actually gone to see a car and a friend I met through this forum. It's only ironic that it is on the other side of the Atlantic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, Joe made it to North Norfolk in England, and here is a photo to prove it.

1191.thumb.jpg.9e69cf88d8a196c86abdcfa94b047e81.jpg

It was great to meet Joe, on the left in the photo, and I really appreciated him travelling the all the way from Cheltenham to Norfolk to visit me and the Humberette. Joe has helped me enormously with his posts on this forum of his machining work. I joked with Joe that this was my first internet date!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

'Joe, on the left in the photo'. 'Mike...I'm on the right in the photo'

Well Joe, when you were standing next to me and I looked at my boots, with either an R or an L on the toe cap, you were on the side of the L boot!  I could also say that it was a deliberate mistake to test your editing skills. Sorry everyone, Joe is correct, he is the one on the right in the photo - I must have had brain fade when I typed the text.

'The two of you live Across the Atlantic from each other yet it looks like you buy your clothes in the same store!'

I don't know about Joe, but over here the 'trendy' store is called the 'Charity Shop'. We were both wearing our best clothes - you want to see our work clothes!

• Like 2

Hello Al,

I'll be back next week. When I'm back in the shop I'll be revisiting to the oil pump. I want to get the entire oiling system worked out and tested. Then I'll box it up and put it aside while I go on with some other engine parts. I should have an aluminum fan waiting for me when I get back so I've that part to modify to fit the car as well.

I spent 3 days in the British National Archives and still didn't finish everything I'd wanted to so I may be forced to come back this year - though that's dependent on whether I can afford it.

7 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Can't... I have to go on another trip as soon as I get back. Thankfully, I have managed to get to the UK every year for the last 25 or 30 years so I know I'll be back.

jp

After Brexit and they break off from Europe, maybe the ocean currents will carry them closer to the US.  That's how it works, right? ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

After Brexit and they break off from Europe, maybe the ocean currents will carry them closer to the US.  That's how it works, right?

It'll be a long ride. The current past Britain goes north, to the Arctic! SW of Ireland some of it breaks off and heads north-west. The south to north flow is the only reason Britain is not sticking out of an iceberg.

• Like 1

I got back last night at precisely 11:00 PM after 21 hours of traveling and (mostly) waiting in airports to find about 18" of snow in my driveway so I had to spend the early morning shoveling it out. When I got to the shop, the aluminum fan I purchased from a fellow forum member was waiting for me. Not having the energy to pick up where I left off I decided to take it apart. Here it is largely dismantled.

IMG_1209.thumb.JPG.56b554650086d1feb203d638688b4bae.JPG

I'm very pleased with the fan and it looks as if adapting it to the Mitchell engine won't be terribly difficult. The most challenging part is the flat belt sheave. The Mitchell used an early form of V-belt so I'll have to make a new sheave to replace the one that is currently there. I haven't decided yet how to do that - it's trickier than it looks because the fan won't fit in the lathe - the diameter is just slightly too big so I'll have to come up with a different method.

• Like 4

Not to make you more miserable Joe, I’m over here in Dartmouth MA, about 35-40 miles as the crow flies from you but I’m right on the coast. I got about 3” of slush that I basically squee-geed off my driveway. Even a mile further north and away from the coast got a few inches more than me. My wife always complains that our summers aren’t warm soon enough because of the ocean being so close so I always remind her how fortunate we are in the winter because of ocean keeping the temps up enough for rain instead of snow. Of course, every once in a while a big nor-easter has to go and screw that up by dumping feet on us!

Now, back to the actual topic, don’t you hate how it seems no matter how big of swing or length of bed on our tools that we have, we always seem to come up with an important project that’s ALWAYS too big!! Fan does look good.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had one of my best research trips ever, despite not being able to finish.

I'm still a bit at loose ends but I did do work on the oil pump. Unfortunately, I left the camera in the office so I didn't get photos of making the vanes. They are just pieces of 5/8" x 5/16" flat stock, cut to length. I milled them down slightly and then surface ground them to fit the slots in the pump rotor. This went smoothly... the vanes are just a tiny bit tighter than I want but that can be addressed when all of the other machine work is done. Being slightly tight is good for machining purposes.

IMG_1210.JPG.ff73d053b47a59536026a694c1420c45.JPG

The next step was to drill and tap the rotor for the set screws that will hold it to the camshaft. Easy enough, but I made an error and drilled it for fine thread 5/16 set screws rather than coarse thread. The hole is slightly too big and rather than mess it up going still bigger I'll have to get a tap and some set screws to fit the hole.

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.c3fbc756dbd29fc3a1a3aa23452e78f9.JPG

I was going to make a fixture to finish the OD of the vanes but it occurred to me that I could use the rotor itself. I drilled and tapped holes for 1/4-20 set screws to secure the vanes in each of the slots. When it is done, these holes will be empty and will serve to direct a little more oil to the vanes. by machining all the pieces together I'll get a greater degree of accuracy than I am likely to achieve doing the parts separately.

IMG_1212.JPG.34a5e2a871838ecedc83860733509ac2.JPG

And... here is the original fan. It looks better in this photo than it really is. Several of the blades have been bent and straightened. It would probably serve as it is but I'm planning to make a true honeycomb radiator and I confess to being a bit paranoid about a blade coming off or bending. I had that happen once on a Volvo. The blade hit something, made a 90-degree bend and sawed a perfectly round hole through the center of the core. It wasn't a problem to fix because I was working for a Volvo dealer at the time but I'd rather it didn't happen to a radiator I'll likely have 3 months work in.

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.483b932fecea77cf7b488eac996f9f49.JPG

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I ordered the tap and set screws I need to finish the oil pump rotor and, in the meantime, decided to make the banjo bolt that will attach the oil line to the oil filter. The first step was to drill a hole in a piece of 1-1/2" hex stock.

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.30c121c6e7221bb455698336a45db5ec.JPG

Leaving the hex as the head of the bolt, I turned a 1" diameter on the remainder.

IMG_1215.thumb.JPG.2570a79fed879b7fab8baee9d7e72767.JPG

Then I slipped on one of the banjo fittings and a fiber washer to calculate how much had to be threaded. This piece is long on both ends so I can trim it to size when everything is assembled.

IMG_1216.JPG.a139a28f2eee9c524f4338a6f114c450.JPG

With that calculation done, I cut the oil groove in the bolt.

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.01367e9cad9eb9b32ec250be236fcc8f.JPG

And set up the threading tool. The thread is 1"-20. The piece it is going into is slightly more than a 1/4" thick so I should get 5 full turns to tighten the bolt.

IMG_1218.JPG

And this is what it is supposed to look like when completer. I still have to trim the ends, plug the hole and drill oil holes in the bolt but this went more smoothly than I had a right to expect.

IMG_1219.JPG

• Like 4

I finished the banjo bolt today.

The first step was to drill the oil holes... for this, I used a transfer punch to locate the center, then put the bolt in a square collet block and drilled two 1/4" holes through the bolt so it will have 4 outlets that align with the groove on the inside of the banjo fitting.

IMG_1220.JPG.41e6b5eaf86b5876531dddbb8bac6f71.JPG

I then mounted the piece on an expanding mandrel and cut down the threaded end until it was flush with the inside of the cap.

IMG_1221.thumb.JPG.16ef0509de9a93d0341f601b9ddb885c.JPG

When that was done, I turned the bolt around and threaded the head 3/8 NPT

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.b863c06e10935a508c3d2115a5801745.JPG

and screwed in a 3/8 pipe plug as tight as I could make it.

IMG_1223.JPG.af0954e6ffb954240b57e22d564ed447.JPG

The bolt was then faced off so the plug was flush with the surface and then drilled and tapped to 1/8" NPT. This will be the connection for the oil pressure gauge.

IMG_1224.thumb.JPG.016cea3522933d1c5638e5761b7fa6af.JPG

Here is the finished bolt.

IMG_1225.JPG.f60ba24cc268f4406515357259574f98.JPG

And assembled on the end of the oil filter housing.

IMG_1226.JPG.5400340e4caf2704f762ee8b679331ff.JPG

• Like 4

That really looks good. There's just something wonderful about seeing you make those parts to get that "parts car" back on the road.  I know the Mitchell must be happy as it HAD to think it was headed to the scrap yard.   I can't wait to get back on the Metz and start making some parts myself!  I got some good news today... the gentleman that sold me the L-W Chuck Co  Universal dividing head did managed to find the other two index plates.   With this setup I should be able to make a lot of gears and parts, I'm pretty excited!   It is a huge tool but it does fit on my horizontal mill table. 

• Like 2

I suspect that when you get back to the Metz you'll find that your whole outlook on it will have changed... from where do I get "X" to how do I make "X" or "how do I turn Y into X". It is liberating...albeit not less work.

• Like 4

You may have noticed that the caps I made for the oil filter housing are a bit thick. This was to allow for slots to take a hook spanner. The idea is to hand tighten it then snug it up with a spanner. For this, I set it up on the fixture I used to knurl the caps.

IMG_1227.thumb.JPG.f25c8bae78964e1a12e2464ed64f8969.JPG

Then cut 6 slots, 60-degrees apart.

IMG_1228.thumb.JPG.ccd15e65371ddd327eb3bd445d5efde9.JPG

IMG_1229.thumb.JPG.836c6a0852438545a6d493d201a187af.JPG

• Like 2

Nearly the last step on the oil filter holder was making the threaded bushing that screws into the cap. The end in the cap will be soldered in place and it will thread into a bushing that will be soldered into the oil manifold. That way, the oil filter unit will simply screw onto the oil manifold.

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.8f13caa61d3390d2dc51b0dbb8103e77.JPG

With that done, I went back to the new pump rotor. The first step was to turn it to size with the vanes locked in place.

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.10fbc7205d1f7ba0a419e2339536771b.JPG

I don't have a reliable way of measuring the exact diameter I needed so, when I got close, I took it down .005 at a time and tried it in the pump.

IMG_1232.JPG.cbd8b27c650c7599c3187c0bf8b48de5.JPG

With the diameter fixed, I surface ground the ends to get the height of the rotor about .002 - .003 less than the height of the pump body.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.3639c4ad9617d4bf7073d5f3c847c740.JPG

All that went surprisingly well. The rotor now fits into the pump body with a clearance so small it is practically invisible.

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.3bf436dad861c0a5882ef8f2dc89fb8c.JPG

When that was done, I took out the set screws and dislodged the vanes. They were then lapped so that they are a sliding fit in the rotor. I am going to test it without the springs to see if centrifugal force is sufficient to make the pump work. It probably isn't...but drilling the tiny holes for the springs is actually a real challenge for me as I am not really equipped to do fussy, tiny work. I'll do it if I have to, but if it works at low RPM without them I may leave them out - or put the springs in when I'm feeling a little more confident of the result!

• Like 3