65 riv instrument panel

RIVNIK

BTW: Thanks for all the help I've gotten from everyone recently..... I'm still working on it!  New problem: can I remove the instrument cluster escutcheons without disassembling the panel or removing the dashpad?  The rings each have a set screw at the bottom but I can't see any on top. I removed one set screw and the ring came free at the bottom but something seems to be holding the top. Don't want to mess around with it too much until I know whether it is doable and if I can replace it easily.   Any voices of experience out there?                            Thanks , Drew

Thanks! Will let you know how my bezel renovation turns out. Chrome outers are badly pitted, but hopefully I can repaint the inner surfaces & polish the lenses & draw attention away from them. Any hints on cleaning & clarifying the lenses would be appreciated     Drew

The lenses will clean up nice with plexiglass cleaner or a plastic lense cleaner from Maguires.  Another good product is called "Flight Jacket."  Pilots use this product to clean the windshields on their planes.  It is made by Shell's Aviation Division and can be found on the internet.  It worked great on my old Reatta convertible tail light.

Also, when you remove the knob for the speed alert/cruise control setting, there originally was a felt washer behind the knob that prevented dust from getting behind the lense.  Most have disintegrated by now but you can make your own replacement easily. 

Edited by Pat Curran
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, that turned out to be a snap! Just had to pull a little harder and off they came. I polished the outer surfaces to the best of my abilities, sanded down the corroded  inners & hit them w Krylon satin black, the Maguires plastic lens polish returned the scratched lenses to absolute perfection (thanks Pat), and it all went back together without the usual leftover pieces. Looks great but I still hope to find some unpitted bezels ..BTW.... the hard to reach upper bulb in the right hand inst.cluster is easy to get out with the lens off... not so on the speedo side. Guess Ill have to break down & pull the dashpad to get to that one. Roadmaster warned me it was a tough one & he wasn't kidding. My short fat fingers just won't get it.      Drew

Right, Novus is a good product and easy to get. I used something quite similar but from Germany. With smooth circular moves, it came out very clean and removed all scratches after 3 minutes! Amazing!!!
Let you inspire and see more pics of the resto of my dashboard I recently did. (Link below in my signature).

P.S.: I had the same problem as you with my short fat fingers and I took off the dashpad. (Came out easily and I wanted to renew it aniway, so...)

27683596593_3c3c62e3d2_k.jpg

28220795181_6162f7ee40_k.jpg

28220794851_44f5001b25_k.jpg

27683599473_e0b47122d8_k.jpg

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, Pat Curran said:

The lenses will clean up nice with plexiglass cleaner or a plastic lense cleaner from Maguires.  Another good product is called "Flight Jacket."  Pilots use this product to clean the windshields on their planes.  It is made by Shell's Aviation Division and can be found on the internet.  It worked great on my old Reatta convertible tail light.

Also, when you remove the knob for the speed alert/cruise control setting, there originally was a felt washer behind the knob that prevented dust from getting behind the lense.  Most have disintegrated by now but you can make your own replacement easily. 

Pat, thanks for the info on the "Flight Jacket". I really enjoy having clean plastic when it is a part of a signal or lighting system.

Turbinator

• Like 1