bofusmosby

I want my car transported! Help!!!

Well bofusmosby has repeated he thought he did his homework by checking a broker. That was a mistake he has learned I'm sure...

I guess you got a little caught up in the whole purchase and did rush it a little bofusmosby, lesson learned I guess.

This board has a wealth of knowledge and will always be here to offer sage advice gained from the collected mistakes of the past so believe what you are being told here.

Trulyvintage mentioned some of the main issues you are up against and why you are having problem getting a "reasonable" price. That term is relative of course and with the knowledge gained maybe you can understand now why it will cost so much.

Think of it this way....how much will a repaint cost? All that snow/salt/water and grime that may get on and into the car. The chances of vandalism or theft of some "unobtainium" part while it sits in a lot somewhere. Also the real scary chance of some unscrupulous "Broker" who ditched out of paying the last guy to haul your car and having to pay a ransom to that last hauler to get your car back.

Once I considered all these possibilities a door to door covered carrier made all the sense in the world. More expensive yes....but it was money well spent when she arrived just as she left. ;)

Here is a pic just moments before she was unloaded...looks cozy in there eh?

post-62521-143138182207_thumb.jpg

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

bofusmosby,

If I were you, I would pick up a Hemmings Motor News, turn to the Services offered section and read the ads for Transport. Before you choose a company, however, I would do a Google search on the company name and make sure you don't find any horror stories about them that way. Call a few of those advertisers who pass this initial test and get quotes and go with one that sounds reputable and reasonable. If they have been advertising for a substantial time in Hemmings without major complaints to Hemmings, they are probably more likely to be someone that you can trust.

My advice is to clear your head a bit first and try to find a plan that will work.

Low bidder is not always the least stressful or reliable.

The pick up location is not the best for a hauler trying to put together a multi-car load headed to a certain location. He may have a 3 car hauler: he needs 3 cars BOTH ways! It's like playing a chess game on a daily basis.

I still think that if you are balancing time and cost together, you need to stick with uship. Uship "is" the "broker" if you do it right. If you go by price alone on uship, you WILL get a broker, not an independent hauler.

If your ad on uship makes you sound like a tightwad, you may want to delete it and do a better ad. I mean no offence by that sentence, I am only trying to help.

Ok, I did not view your ebay ad on what you bought. Most guys here say you got a smoking deal. That said, there should be some room in your budget to get it hauled to you, and still feel like you got a good deal including the shipping costs. I can understand not having a bunch of extra cash laying around, but at this point hopefully you can come up with enough to get it home.

Some of my friends will never buy a nice car from a dry climate because they don't want to deal on a car far away without seeing it, or don't want the stress of getting one home....so they always work with crap cars that will never be good. If you bought a nice dry car for a great price...get it home!! It will work out, somehow :)

Thanks guys for your help and advice. You asked what to me is a reasonable price to have the car hauled? Well, by reading the other posts I made, it is obviously not correct, compared with what is in the real world. I was simply going by what the "brokers" were telling me, not by an actual driver. I keep asking here what IS considered a reasonable price I should have to pay for this transport. So far, no one has given me any figures I can use as a reference point. Unfortunately, I believe it will have to be an open carrier. The only driver/owner I actually spoke with told me he would do it for $1200, but it would not be before a couple of months, like in June. That would be with my car only on his truck, with no storage anywhere, straight to my house.

The truth be known, I really thought that I had done my homework, but as can plainly be seen, it was NOT nearly good enough. This will be a mistake that I will never repeat. Sorry to be getting a bit "testy" here, as you can tell, with all that is going on, my nerves are really on edge. Live and learn. However, the man who sold me the car wants the car picked up, so I may have no choice on having it hauled before may. If it was OK for the seller, the wait for me would be no problem.

bofusmosby,

You have received good advice from some of the best on this site, several of whom I am proud to call a friend. These folks know the hobby, buying and selling, and the problems encountered along the way. I've had my share, having to replace most of my collection after Hurricane Katrina - and my purchases have come from dry climates since then.

Years ago, I bought a good, solid 2nd hand enclosed car hauler trailer to transport my own cars. It doubles as a 2nd garage. It was relatively inexpensive, and I still have it as a backup. More recently I was able to have a new trailer custom-built to my specs, but that is a different story.

Each car that I bought, I arranged for the seller to keep the car until I was able to pick it up, in one case for a whole year following the purchase because he had ample space, and I had none after the hurricane. The seller, in your case, may be able to find appropriate local SAFE storage for your lovely Pontiac. Deer Lodge, MT is home to a great museum, next door to the Territorial Prison Museum, and just off the Interstate (we have visited there during a VMCCA Chrome Glidden Tour). The museum may have modestly-priced storage space. Other collectors in the area might offer their assistance if the seller contacts them on your behalf. Hopefully they can hold your car until May, or June when the weather conditions are more favorable for you or a transporter to travel.

Do you have a friend, or a local car club member who will travel with you to retrieve the Pontiac? Does he have a good trailer? You might offer to cover travel expenses for his assistance. I have travelled all over this beautiful country to help our members bring their cars back home - not for profit, but to help-out. They always offer to cover our fuel, meal, and motel costs (sometimes we just get some shut-eye in the Suburban).

Network among your local contacts - especially among us retired guys who like to travel. You will be surprised at the help that is offered. Are you a member of AACA? Several of our Tour-buddies live in your area. Get involved, meet the folks, and ask for advice. You might just want to make an adventure out of it - fly there, grab a few spare parts, a few basic tools, and use the Spring weather to actually drive it home - BUT take along a roster - AACA, POCI, VMCCA - the old-car fraternity includes many people who will go above and beyond to help you on your way. It has certainly been that way for me, and I try to give back whenever I can. Most of us do !

The advice you received from F&J, MCHinson, Stealthbob, Trulyvintage, and the others is based upon years of experience. These folks know what they're talking about. They share with you what we have learned by making our own mistakes - don't feel alone - you will get it all back to where you can handle it, but maybe just different from what you had planned.

Sorry I cannot offer any specifics, but I hope these thoughts give some additional options.

I wish you the best in your quest to get your new baby home. Get involved with your local AACA for a lot more enjoyment. When you do, I'll introduce you to some other long-time friends in your area.

Thank you Marty for your words of wisdom. I know that the other members are trying to help out, but for me, everything I am going through is a learning experience. I haven't had the time to join any clubs yet, but this is something that I definately will be doing. It seems that all my extra time has been devoted to trying to get the car home. I really haven't had much time to even think about anything else. Just working 6 days a week, and this car. What really gets me is that I thought I did my homework on this one. I got about 20 estimates on the shipping of this car before I ever bought it. Unfortunately, these were all from brokers, not owners/drivers. I based my purchase price on not only the car, but the shipping as well. It never occured to me that all of these estimates on shipping would be way off in price, compared to what the going rates were.

I feel that at this time, I really have no choice, except to continue to look for a shipper. I just do not want to deal with anymore brokers. I can't stand a liar. Not that all of them are bad, just the ones I have been in touch with are. Sooner or later I'll find a way to get the car brought home. For the sake of the guy I bought it from, I am hoping it will be sooner, rather than later. I'll be sure and keep you all posted on this adventure. If nothing else, in the future it will show others what NOT to do when buying an old car.

Jim

To Bofusmosby

I feel bad for you. Some of these respondants , while they are correct, may be leaving a bad taste in your mouth about the hobby. That was good advice my buddy Marty gave you. Did you come on this website looking for a professional transporter or another hobbyist willing to help out? There is a big difference. That professional needs to make a profit. When I haul for my customers whose cars I repair, I charge only my cost . I add up gas ,food,tolls, motels, and any repairs,tires,etc. that accru during the trip. My diesel gets about 16mpg hauling a 20 ft. closed trailer. It comes out to about 44 cents per mile. The professional has to add a profit base on top of that amount. And that amount is higher as the cost of their equipment is included. Those professionals that want to charge you $900 to $1300 are working cheap for the 2500 mile distance they would have to travel. If you where on this website looking for a fellow hobbyist to help you out, you should by all accounts, be willing to cover his costs to bring the car to you ! Marty's idea of networking is the only way you can reasonably expect to bring that car to you at a price you can afford . I periodically come on this site if I am going somewhere to see if I can find a fellow hobbyist who either needs something taken to or from where I'm going. When that happens most everyone is thrilled just to pay costs only. Good luck.

Wayne Koffel

Thank you for your comments Wayne. To be honest with you, I had no idea there would ever be anyone here who could help me out, except for possibly some good ideas or contacts on haulers. I didn't join this site looking for anything but information on old cars, and to meet fellow old car lovers. I also figured that if I were doing some type of repairs to the car, then this would be a great place to ask questions from those who would actually know the answers. It never occured to me that anyone here would assist me, except maybe put me in touch with a hauler they know. Thats why I made my first post. This has already happened, and when I spoke to the driver/owner, he said he could do the shipping for $1200, but it probably wouldn't be until June.

If I had found this site before I bought my car, I definately would have done things a lot different. I now know that the cost of transport is a lot higher then these brokers were telling me. I wasn't aware that there would be those here on this site that might be willing to take on such a task. I went ahead today and cashed in a weeks pay (vacation pay) from last year, so now I am able to offer $1500 for transport. I haven't taken a vacation since 1980, and couldn't think of a better way to use the money. (I usually take off a few hours here and there, or maybe a day here and there, but no vacation) The amount offered still might not be enough though. Time will tell. However, I refuse to deal with anymore brokers EVER! Right now, I need to explore my options.

I am in hopes of meeting a lot of members in the future,, and I plan on taking an active roll in what I do, not just someone sitting on the sidelines. I have made a lot of friends on various forums through the years, and even serve as a moderator on one of them. I also will be joining the national and local clubs once my head clears from all of this stuff going on.

It was a pleasure hearing from you Wayne, and I look forward to conversing again sometime.

Jim

bofusmosby,

I think you should place a transportation request on this site.

Maybe some hobbiest is traveling from the Deer Lodge / Butte / Helena, Montana area, heading south -- or toward the Chickasha, Oklahoma Pre-War Swap Meet. Maybe you could drive the car from there (not too far north of Dallas, Texas). Maybe you could arrange easier transport from Chickaska toward Tampa or someplace along the way.

You Have many options.

My buddy Wayne (I've known and respect him for nearly 14 years) is right about professionals having to make a profit, cover expenses, and stay on the road. As he said, he transports the cars he repairs and restores, and would rather cover costs going the other way rather than "dead-head" with an empty trailer. Many other hobbiests do the same, and could likely help if you list the right kind of request on this site. Many others have given me the same support with parts as well as cars.

A friend in Northern Illinois drove 40 miles in the dead of winter meeting half-way with a gentleman who sold me a new set of tires for my '70 Caddy. He then stored those tires for 6 months until I could pick up the '37 Roadmaster he helped me to buy from his friend's estate.

A friend in the Denver area drove 200 miles to check out the '54 Caddy for me, and advised me to buy it.

A friend in Cheyenne, Wyoming drove 10 hours round-trip to check out the '41 Caddy in Casper, and even left the deposit for me.

Another friend in New Jersey drove to Long Island, New York to examine the '30 Packard, and gave me his evaluation so that I could decide if I would make the trip from New Orleans and back with my trailer to look at the car myself -- I did, but first passed through central Pennsylvania to pick up another friend and respected restorer. Their advice encouraged me to adopt one of my nicest cars.

Another dear friend in the Tampa Bay Area suggested I contact another friend in New Jersey for advice about a '13 Buick on Ebay - instead I bought his '14 Buick - a much better car.

All of the above would not have happened without AACA, the other Marque clubs, and the network of friends calling other friends.

Back to the idea of your local club - it does not take much time - it opens new doors - who knows, but one of the members may have a friend or cousin who could help with storage, or knows somebody who is heading back with a trailer, or knows somebody along the way. Networking really works - I've met some of the nicest people that way - especially through the clubs. When I've needed advice, again the clubs and network of folks who have been there before come up with great advice.That is how I met Wayne, MCHinson, Steve Moskowitz, and so many other people who make up what I consider the core of the hobby.

Don't short-change yourself.

Again, best of luck,

post-54863-143138182715_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182716_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182717_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313818272_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182721_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182721_thumb.jpg

Bob (twofords)

Yea, that is where I did NOT do my research. After starting this thread, I have dug a lot deeper, and see what you mean. I was thinking that a car hauler would have maybe 6-8 vehicles on it, which would make the price of each vehicle be cheaper. Well, that is what the brokers told me. I guess I was the idiot for believing it! Thats what I get for "blindly" believing them.

Marty

How do a place a transportation request on this site? Remember, I am new here, and unfamiliar with this forum. As far as a local car club, can you make any recommendations? I agree, that would be a great start.

BTW, you have some GREAT looking cars! Unbelievable!

Jim

I just wanted to make a post saying that I just got off the phone with Trulyvintage (Jim) and gave him an apology, he is completely correct about the charges in the real world. I was not. He also said for me to wait until May to find an open carrier. I will contact the seller of the car, and see if there would be any way that he could hold on to the car until then. I will try to do as he suggested.

It was a real pleasure talking with him, and I hope that some day, I can call him friend. It would be an honor.:)

Jim

Jim,

It sounds like you are getting on the right track.

I sent you an Email, and will help you get in contact with friends who are active in the AACA Region in your area -- they are some really great folks -- at least I think so. I have known some of them for 30+ years, some more recent -- I visit when I have the opportunity.

I also made a suggestion as to posting here for transport. As I suggested earlier, You might find someone going from Montana to Chickasha or another Swap Meet with an empty trailer - then arrange for another ride coming farther south, or temporary storage in that area until you can find another ride for your Pontiac.

Or, you could just start a new post with "Need Transport South From Montana" . That could get something started.

Thanks for your generous comments on our cars. Touring is our favorite part of the hobby, and we get them out on the road whenever we can.

Edited by Marty Roth
Typo, and add a thought (see edit history)

I am really overwhelmed by the generosity of others. Many of you have expressed an interest in helping me out with a lot of great ideas. Marty (a fellow member) passed my contact info to some people who live in my area, and I was contacted by a guy named Dan. He seems to be a super nice guy. He is also a body shop man, so I now know where to have my car worked on for body-work. Well, he informed me that he knows a guy who has done quite a bit of work for him, and also that this same guy is going to be delivering a car out in Col. Well, he gave me this guys number (his name is Rob) and he says that he MIGHT be able to work out something in an enclosed carrier if he can work out a route to haul other things (motorcycles) at the same time. He is not sure, but he is trying to work out something. I also have a driver who said that he could pick my car up next week, but it would be an open carrier. Not sure about that though. It would be cheaper, but the enclosed carrier definately would be the way to go. It looks like things are finally starting to look better for getting my baby home! I also have some other leads that were given to me by other members here on this site, so if these don't work out, then thanks to you guys, I still have options.

As you already know, I am new to this hobby, and it is refreshing to see so many people out there wanting to help out. I just hope that some day, I can return the favor to each and every one of you. I'll keep everyone posted on any updates, and again, I thank you!

Jim

Great news...

As a somewhat newbie myself I have to say that I believe the concept of "Pay it forward" was a car guy concept.

I too am indebted to so many.

Hope it all works out for ya and we can finally see that pic of you and your Pontiac together!

I have not read thru all of the posts here, but for the money you have been quoted, you could buy your own trailer, then all you need is a truck and at your convenience go get the car yourself. I am sort of semi retired (not by choice) and I calculated taking my truck and trailer and going to get it, but it is not cost effective. Even at .25 a mile and what my truck uses I would most likely be dipping into my own money to finish the trip. If it were not for that I would have considered it.

AlK

Thank you so much for even considering doing it. You see, this is what i am talking about. I am just overwhelmed by it all. I should have gotten into the "old car thing" many many years ago. It is so refreshing to see that there are still people out there who would like to help. I know what you mean, the cost of such a trip with just the gas and expenses would be pretty high. Thats not even counting the time, or the wear and tear of the vehiles. I am honored to be among you. Trulyvintage opened my eyes about the research I SHOULD have done. Many others also knew this as well.

This experience has been a 2-sided coin. On the one side, I have been a nervous wreck about the whole thing. Finding out that there are a lot of people who just can't be trusted (the brokers I have delt with). BUT, on the other side, it has been the exact opposite. Great people, willing to lend either a helping hand, or sound advice when it is truly needed.

My latest update is I will be having my car transported with an enclosed trailer, and my car will be picked up within 1 to 2 weeks. The owner/driver is charging me what it would take from others with an open carrier. Again, un-deserved kindness. I am just tickled to death!! When it arrives, I'll have to post some photos of me and my new (old) car!

Yes on the update! Sometime between now and the first of April, my car will be picked up and shipped in an enclosed trailer at about the same price that the open transport brokers were telling me. This is because of some our members here who put the word out, and located someone who was going to be in that general area (within 800 miles). I will be sure and post here once the car arrives. I'd like to throw a party and invite all the members here, but realistically, after the car purchase and the shipping, I am afraid I will be tapped out for a bit.

I want to thank everyone who shopwed concern for my plight. Also to to Trulyvintage for opening my eyes to the "real world". :D

You should be able to get your haul for around 1000. but you might wait a couple of months in the process....

From experience, make sure YOU have insurance on the car, before it is hauled. I had a car burn up in transit and the broker and hauler both welched on me. Expensive lesson to learn. Both stated they were insured for 300k. Bullsh__!