1939 Buick Jack?

Jolly_John

Thanks very much for the photo help, Mr. 1939 Buick from Australia. Seeing an I.D. picture of both '39 jacks was more than I had hoped for. That was super of you. I don't have one for sale now, but I have some old jacks to look at soon, and will let you know. Best, John in Wisconsin

No...the 1938 Buick jack is a totally different design than the '39. The '38 jack is a three-piece unit (not counting the handle). It has a separate base, the main part of the jack and then a small slip-on piece that is designed to grab the bumper.

The '39 jack picks the car up by the suspension, not the bumper. Given your question, I'm sure somebody will probably be able to post a '38 jack picture. I believe it is also illustrated in the '38 Buick owner's manual. John in Wisconsin

Guest jules greenway

hi guys

On this subject what does the jack for the '31 8-90 look like? Also, on cars with no trunk where were the jack and other tools carried?

cheers

Jules

• 4 years later...
Guest BigDogDaddy

If you thought the 1938 jack was bad, you should see the 1940 jack. It mounts on the lip of the wheel. Then when you jack it up high enough there is another piece like a mini jack stand goes behind the wheel to hold it so you can then remove the jack and dismount the tire. I searched for one for my 40 Limited for a few years before finding one at Hershey. While discussing the jack with a Buick vendor he told me that the reason they are a rare jack to find is because back when the cars where fairly new, if you got a flat and used that jack, it most likely shot out from under the wheel. If it didn't break your leg, you picked it up and threw it in the woods swearing to never do that again !

My extra one is like the one on the left in 1939_Buick's photo in the second post; for a Roadmaster or Limited.

Pete Phillips

Pete was sort of replying to his post 2 in this thread http://forums.aaca.org/f117/want-buy-40-buick-original-tire-362740.html

My car didn't have a jack, so at some point I will need one (1939 Special). What other tools should be in the trunk with it? I need those as well.
A real jack that you can use. You car didn't have a jack becasue they are not useful. Those '39 & 40 Buick jacks are only for show. Look to be a very dangerous to use.

Guest 42buickman

And would you believe that Buick still used that man killer of a wheel jack thru '42 ? I've had several, a couple with the original stickers on them, but, never had the courage or stupidity to try one out. Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just found a correct jack for my '39 Special at Hershey, repainted it (it was red, and I think that was original) and thought about stowage in the trunk. Anybody have a picture of proper jack and handle storage in a Special? And for that matter, any pictures of what the trunk should look like?

I believe the original paint color of many of the large and small series 1939 Buick jacks was a very dark green (with a slight grayish hew) color. Over the years, I also saw a few that were black, with what appeared to be original paint. I never saw an original '39 Buick  jack in red, and I've been messing with '39's for something like 45 years.  Just my observation. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

Here's a photo of the jack that came with my 39 Roadmaster and the crank stick (I don't know the correct term for it).  I suspect that the jack and crank stick were stored in the compartment at the tail end of the trunk.  It has a wooden cover that runs the width of the trunk, just under the bottom of the lid.

IMG_20181020_180201574.jpg

• 1 year later...