Closed Thread - "Scholarship Why?" -

Jim65Riv

I have several questions:

Why was this thread closed?

In reviewing the BOD minutes, it was reported that the vote was six in favor, three against. How about transparency from those elected to represent the members? Who voted for and who voted against. I feel that the membership has a right to know.

Why have no current BOD members addressed this issue. If it is important enough to warrant a survey, it is important enough to state your position.

Why have none of the BOD candidates, with the exception of John De Fiore (and then only on this forum), stated their position on this issue?

Do we have a definitive answer to the question about the effect this may have on the BCA's tax-exempt status? Perhaps Rick Schick, with his background of dealing with tax issues, can address this.

The continued silence on this important issue is worrisome.

Why was this thread closed?

Don't look at me!!!! :eek: :)

Jim the only possible reason I can offer is that apparently the original announcement of the particulars of the amount and how the scholarships would be dispersed was a bit premature and that the BOD would be taking another look at it and probably just wanted things to rest for a bit until something more firm could be published. I have emailed some of the board who I know has been working on this and advised that the subject has been brought back up. Hopefully you will get an answer soon.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

See the last post on the closed thread. There is a letter posted on the members only section (where you access your eBugle) from the BCA president. The thread was probably closed by Peter Gariepy.

You might get some answers at the general membership meeting in Springfield. In addition you might ask to address the board at the board meeting (probably should get it on the agenda prior...ask Mike Book). All of the board candidates have contact info listed. Check with them to see where they stand on the scholarship issue and on communicating with the membership through the forums. I would still like to see a forum for this stuff accessed from the members only area ( and don't think no one would see it... a simple post on the General forum announcing some wild stuff over at the members only forum is all that is needed.)

Willie

Until we have a members only section, do we refrain from discussing sensitive issues?

Thanks to Bill Stoneberg and John DeFiore for making your position public.

The letter from Brian which came with the April Bugle states that "The BOD has decided to continue moving forward with the scholarship..." If this is the case, what is the point of the survey?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike. The good thing about all this is that we have members who care, and are concerned about the health of the organization. The bad thing is with no insight to the decisions those members are left frustrated and disillusioned. Surely there must be a way to fix this situation.

Edited by MrEarl
removed text related to deleted posts (see edit history)

Jim and everyone else,

As my letter in the Bugle stated if you have further questions simply reach out directly to the BOD member of your choice, me or the entire BOD (contact info on the web and in the Bugle). I'd certainly be happy to speak to you as I am sure would any other BOD member. However the BOD will not conduct business on the forum where many non-members need not be involved. Thank you.

Guest my3buicks

Thus the need for an easy and active BCA members only forum to keep us moving with the times, the thought of having to reach out via phone or email to each and every board member is daunting, there needs to be a place where we can discuss in A member only forum issues that pertain to the BCA and get real-time answers from all board members. And there's really no excuse for all board members not to be on the forum in today's electronic age.

Jim and everyone else,

As my letter in the Bugle stated if you have further questions simply reach out directly to the BOD member of your choice, me or the entire BOD (contact info on the web and in the Bugle). I'd certainly be happy to speak to you as I am sure would any other BOD member. However the BOD will not conduct business on the forum where many non-members need not be involved. Thank you.

Brian,

I still consider myself as a "new member" of BCA. As far as I know, you are the only BCA Board member that I have met in person. My personal contact with you has been fairly limited but positive. I certainly understand that the forum is not where club decisions are made or the primary method of communications to club members.

I joined the BCA as a result of information that I learned about BCA through the Buick Section of this forum. I would suggest that, while there is certainly a need for board members to be cautious about what they post in a public forum, the forum is a great means that the BCA Board should be using to both gather, and broadcast information to members. The forum can be a positive and productive communication conduit for BCA. Statements that sound "anti-forum" from the Board seems ill advised and short sighted to me. I would hope to see the Board members recognize the value of the forum and embrace the forum.

I will simply add that I am and have always been in favor of the scholarship and hope that we can find both the means and method to enact it within the parameters of our by-laws and the tax code.

Based on the member feedback received so far, that appears to be the general consensus as well. I regret that we have had to put it on hiatus while we research the best method to go forward.