Buried '57 Plymouth Unearthed 2 Days Early

Wowabunga

Well folks they dug it up today 2 days early... had about 2 feet of water in the bunker. I'm really perplexed why they couldn't wait till Friday. I'm about 5 hours of Tulsa and have plans to head down there "to get a birdseye view" of the digging and the other festivities of the day. Just called the hotel and can't decide to go ahead and cancel the rooms, or take off for the weekend. Gotta say I'm a bit bummed-out.

Found a lot of photos here:

http://www.tulsachevys.com/Images/buriedcar/index.html

Tulsa Tv News has video:

http://www.kjrh.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=13984@kjrh.dayport.com

Let's see...........take some sheet metal, add lots of moisture, wait 50 years, and what you get is:

.................................rust...........with mildew and slime thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if Boyd Coddington will volunteer to take it back to his shop for a complete restoration?

I guess storing a car underground in a concrete vault might not be the best way to preserve old bessie!

Boyd wouldn't touch anything with a vintage engine--he just buys SBC crate engines.

Every job he manages is late--all of this "beat the clock" drama. He's been at this for some time, you'd think by now he'd know how to schedule jobs. His brain must be stuck in that "unreal perfection" place where everything happens perfectly the first time, and there are no time bombs lurking under past body work.

The car still won't be raised and unveiled until Friday. They opened the fault early so that HAZMAT crews could ensure the stability of the fuel and oil to avoid any potential hazardous situations, and so that they could check the condition of the steel pallets needed to raise the car. Go ahead and go. More of a mystery now, than ever. I'd go if I could.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More of a mystery now, than ever. I'd go if I could.

Paul </div></div>

Auto Restorer mag had a lengthy article on this car. The problem is that the car was donated only a couple of weeks prior to the time capsule being sealed up and event organizers had to scramble to get it incorporated in the event in 1957. There wasn't much time to do a thorough preservation job. The vault was built using sprayed gunnite (so apparently it DOES function well as a swimming pool...). The car was wrapped in preservative paper, but was not waterproofed. Apparently Tulsa also buried a Prowler in a time capsule in 2002, though much greater care was taken to preserve and seal the car. Also, that time capsule is above ground, not in a swimming pool.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone really think this would look any better after 50 years underground? </div></div>

The problem is they only lasted a few years above ground............

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 32-39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watching it live, and it's a complete disaster. Too bad they didn't brick this one behind a wall, like the famous '54 Corvette uncovered in the seventies. </div></div>

Just what in the world were they thinking 50 years ago.............????

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 32-39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watching it live, and it's a complete disaster. Too bad they didn't brick this one behind a wall, like the famous '54 Corvette uncovered in the seventies. </div></div>

Just what in the world were they thinking 50 years ago.............???? </div></div>

I was 11 years old at the time and I bet I could have come up with a better idea saving that car...........

I had to re-quote, edit time expired......WHAT'S WITH THAT!!!??

Did anyone notice the general news stories on this - invariably, they said "CLASSIC 1957 PLYMOUTH" and then a discussion...well.that was unti about two hours ago..when the caption was changed to "TRUE CLASSIC 1957 PLYMOUTH"...just confirming my "hunch" that the word "classic" has now become a full-blown OBSESSION - that people simply cannot discuss any old used car without calling it a "classic" and/or "antique". Does anyone know whether there would be anything wrong with calling a 1957 PLYMOUTH...well..think about it...what would be the harm in calling...a 1957 PLYMOUTH....a ...well...1957 Plymouth..?

The efforts of the Tulsa Committee to "preserve" the Plymouth Belevedere in the underground bunker reminds me of an old Jewish saying my old minister used to quote from time to time

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Man plans and God laughs"</span></span>

Too bad - because I LIKE looking at Paris Hilton. Looking at a used Plymouth dosnt do much for me.

Incidentally, be assured that how to PROPERLY prepare a mechanical device for long term storage is not exactly rocket science, and was certainly well known when we started shipping large numbers of vehicles to Europe for World War ONE. By the Second World War, the processes of properly preserving machinery were pretty standardized (and successful, as anyone who has found LEGIT. World War Two surplus can attest to).

Let's be honest - that whole "Tulsa Time Capsule" thing was nothing but a cheap advertising "con"; anyone who knows anything about building codes and concrete, KNOWS the pool company who poured the so-called "capsule" knew better than to allow it to be used before "curing", and certainly knew how to seal it. But why would they care about a car ? They were in business to SELL.

There are plenty of used 1957 Plymouths around that people actually CARED about - so this is not exactly a loss to humanity.

Yes, many manufacturers of automobiles have been FORCED into a sense of responsibility towards their customers, and are now properly rust-proofing their products at the factory. Of COURSE this wasnt done in the 1950's. But so what. Even a modern car with all its factory-installed anti corrosion materials wouldnt have survived the kind of abuse the Tulsa "cons" inflicted.

Just remember, folks - we have a new religion in the car hobby. You'd darn well BETTER call ANYTHING you are trying to palm off, a "CLASSIC" or people will get VERY angry.

Guest Stllrng.

Peter, I have always found your postings to be very interesting and well-written, and I do enjoy reading them. As a kid that grew up in a "car" family in the 60's and 70's I feel very much the same as to what constitutes a " Classic" car. But, man, you have to try and work past it. The vast majority of the world's population doesn't get it, and never will. A man who has as much to offer as you, should not allow himself to be defined by this one issue. Try and move on from the classic coke and chicken and 1975 Chevrolet Caprice. Keep up the good work.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6686L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There are plenty of used 1957 Plymouths around that people actually CARED about - so this is not exactly a loss to humanity.

</div></div>

I on the other hand find it a great loss.............there really arn't a lot of nice 57 Plymouths around. If the people had placed it in an above ground vault the car would have remained new.

The AACA should put a new car in a glass box in the museum... and open it in 25 years. Then judge it! (Any judge that points it less than 100% should be shot!) smile.gif Or maybe find a 400 point car... buy it... and seal it in? smile.gif

Store it right... sealed... air tight, water tight, etc. Can't be that hard. Maybe hide it under a curtian... let people take the occational peek.. but thats it. Maybe add some tools, 10 gallons of gas (in sealed glass jugs), oil, replacement parts -- and a time capsule with traditional stuff.

As to the Plymouth - its unfortunate it wasnt stored well - but the upside it has been some great PR for old car car hobby. Heck, I'm in Italy right now and i saw it on the local news!

Peter

Gariepy raises an interesting point in his idea of sealing up cars and then coming back and reviewing them, as a way of improving judging standards.

Obviously, "over-restoration" is the practice these days at car shows, and Gariepy's "post" confirms what most of us who actually appreciate cars for what they are, know. And that is, cars are built and sold to be mechanical devices, not costume jewelry. The finest cars from the REAL "classic" era, as delivered new, would probably be laughed off most car show fields, both beacuse the quality and the materials used, wouldn't "cut it" when compared to what commercial restoration shops do today.

But lets be honest as to what most car shows are about. Historical accuracy? In some cases, more or less. But the fact is, if you are a promoter, or exhibitor, or otherwise selling tickets to or responsible fo the success of a car show, you have a responsibility to "please the crowd".

In the Classic Car Club Of America judging, we like to say that all cars entered are 100 point cars if they accurately represent their condition as a new car on delivery day. Thus, we did not have the concept of "winner" for many years. But that was when most people thought it was nuts to rescue old cars. The concept of "nostalgia" did not exist ( I dont even recall hearing hearing the word "nostalgia" when I was a car nut in the 1950's).

The public is not going to pay good money unless it gets a good show. So two or three part "clear coat" paint finishes, over-chroming everything you can get into a chrome tank, all are part of what it takes to put on a successful car show.

So of course Gariepy's point is well-taken; assuming a car COULD be preserved in the condition as delivered, and entered into competition against something from one of the big commercial resotration firms, it most likely wouldnt win a banana in a car-show of today.

Guest ScottAndrews

By the way, did anyone happen to notice the true irony in that pathetic mess? Even in the midst of all that devastation, the front fenders above the headlights <span style="font-weight: bold">had no holes</span>! I've seen this area rusted out on late 50's Mopars that have spent their entire lives in arrid climates! Yet, here is this poor Plymouth that looks to have been completely submerged more than once over the last half century in that crypt, and yet <span style="font-weight: bold">no holes</span>. Go figure...

Regards,

Scott Andrews

Dacula GA

I believe the reason that cars from the mid-fifties with eyebrows over the headlights get holes is that mud gets thrown up there and cakes into the cavity. If this car was never driven, then there would be no mud caked in the fender wells, and therefore no rust. Looking at the photos, it appears that the car was completely submerged for long periods. If it were sitting outside for 50 years, it would look better than it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6686L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone notice the general news stories on this - invariably, they said "CLASSIC 1957 PLYMOUTH" and then a discussion...well.that was unti about two hours ago..when the caption was changed to "TRUE CLASSIC 1957 PLYMOUTH"...just confirming my "hunch" that the word "classic" has now become a full-blown OBSESSION - that people simply cannot discuss any old used car without calling it a "classic" and/or "antique". Does anyone know whether there would be anything wrong with calling a 1957 PLYMOUTH...well..think about it...what would be the harm in calling...a 1957 PLYMOUTH....a ...well...1957 Plymouth..? </div></div>

I have given up correcting people in regards to what is a classic car.

My late father was a member of the CCCA, ('37 Cord, '40 Continental) when I was growing up, and know full well what is really considered a classic. Even the State of Minnesota recognizes the list from the CCCA when determining what cars can have classic plates on them.

So, I'll just continue to cringe when a car like a '79 Firebird Trans-Am or what have you is called a classic.

Because I know better.

Webster defines classic as, "1 : serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works> b : TRADITIONAL, ENDURING <classic designs> c : characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year <a classic suit> 2 : of or relating to the ancient Greeks and Romans or their culture : CLASSICAL 3 a : historically memorable"

Funny, the CCCA and their opinions are not cited. Personally, I think the CCCA's list is rather silly. Why should a car from 1925 be considered a "classic" when the same car from 1924 is not? My boring, plain-jane 1932 Franklin Airman sedan is a classic according to the CCCA, but my 1933 Franklin Olympic convertible coupe, which is much more distinctive and beautiful in my opinion (and maybe a better car overall), is not a classic. Whatever, they're all just old cars, and they will all be examples of excellence and will be in fashion long after I'm dead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6686L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yes, many manufacturers of automobiles have been FORCED into a sense of responsibility towards their customers, and are now properly rust-proofing their products at the factory. Of COURSE this wasnt done in the 1950's. But so what. Even a modern car with all its factory-installed anti corrosion materials wouldnt have survived the kind of abuse the Tulsa "cons" inflicted. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Au contraire,</span> Pierre,

It seems your memory is failing you, based on this 1958 Rambler <span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray</span> report; you really should get your facts straight before waxing nostalgically about the good old days when you could buy an 810 Cord for 50 bucks. Some newbies out there might take your vague reminscenes as gospel.

As for folks paying good money for a show, don't forget that the club hosting this forum <span style="font-weight: bold">never</span> charges the public for admittance to their shows.

TG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdbraverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should a car from 1925 be considered a "classic" when the same car from 1924 is not? </div></div>

Actually... it is. In fact, the CCCA has now accepted some cars as early as 1918 if they're identical to the car built in 1925.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6686L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, many manufacturers of automobiles have been FORCED into a sense of responsibility towards their customers, and are now properly rust-proofing their products at the factory. Of COURSE this wasnt done in the 1950's. </div></div>

Pete

You have me wondering now. Is the "GLOP" that was slathered all over the insides of the fenders on my 1940 Packard done for rust-proofing, or for sound-deadening, or to protect the fenders from flying stones kicked up by the tires. It's about 1/4-inch thick. There's a man living in Nashville who worked at Packard, and it was his job to take some sort of brush (or mop-like tool) and slop it on.

Guest 1956Packard

To bring this back....

Has anyone got a link to pictures of the Plymouth u-boat as it sits today. Rusty or not, I'm interested in seeing pictures. All I can find is when it was lifted out.

Geoff

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more try...Rust-proofing in the 50's courtesy of Rambler.

TG </div></div>

That's correct! Even Metropolitans were dropped in a batter to rust proof them, but any owner will tell you it didn't help much..........

and as far as true Classics, heck, Rambler made a ton of them.

There are pictures at the same link as above, http://www.tulsachevys.com/Images/buriedcar/index.html

Sometimes the link works, sometimes it doesn't. A co-worker of mine went to Tulsa this weekend for the event and dealt with the car in an official capacity. He told me that the body exterior looks somewhat intact (look at the photos on the link and see) thanks to the cosmoline they buttered her up with, but that the metal is <span style="font-weight: bold">BADLY</span> rusted from the inside out--it is so badly corroded that you can bend it inward with one finger.

Skyking,

There were alot of AMC's around when I was in high school in Kenosha in the early-'70's, and all the anti-rust immersions on earth did little to protect them from the tinworm. It's too bad, 'cause so many of them were "Classics," as you noted. Here's one that my Finnish cousin had over there in 1970...

Hopefully, also the image of the '58's taking their bath. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

58_Rambler_Xray_X.jpg

TG