Top 10 vintage passenger engines

24T42

While doing some research on the Internet for the Brass-Nickel Touring Region's newsletter, I ran across a list of 'Top 10 Vintage Passenger engines and the cars they came in'. This is, of course, going to a subjective list but which ones would you include? I will post their list after you take a couple of guesses. Have fun!

Guest ZondaC12

1. Duesenberg J Supercharged Straight-8. cool.gif (i could NOT believe it when i first read the specs for one of these--320 hp? cool. 320 in 1935!!!? holy youknowwhat) just all-out amazes me. the new ferrari enzo - its like $650k right? well hypothetically if i had that much money and had to choose between the enzo and the SJ, it would be the SJ hands down. even if it was only like 200 hp itd still be awesome--425 CID. i cant even imagine how that thing sounds

2. Cadillac V16 Ive read that these were really neat and well-built and engineered.

3. Buick Straight 8. from firsthand knowledge, experience (though only a few months and not actually driving the car yet) and from what many have told me, its a reliable, rather-advanced-in-its-time (overhead valve, auto choke etc) , bulletproof engine.

4. The Ford Flathead V-8 well i know ford stuck with it a LONG time, so i guess it must've been a durable and reliable design, and ive always heard that it was indeed a good design

well thats it for me, im young, inexperienced, and knowledgable of only those engines to put them in a sort of list like this one

1936, Mercedes Benz Type 260D was the first automobile built with a diesel engine.

Steam engine-"oruktor amphibolos" was the first in 1792 steam powered carriage, but stem enignes became lighter and more assocaited with Stanley steamers

Willys-Knight sleeve-valve engine

What about-

Packard V12

Pierce Arrow Straight 8 and the V12

Marmon V16

1941 Cadillac V8

I am with my dad on this one-the Duesenberg is still the undisputed Champ! He had all these and the Duesenberg has the power. The Pierce V12 with Free Wheeling (OverDrive) is a great road car.

Walt

The engine in the attatchment is the engine in my Duesenberg. The car is 7,000lbs. For a 1929 this car flat out haul grin.gifs the mail!!

I forgot some other engine versions:

the Detroit Electric - electric car

1951 Chrysler Hemi V-8

a V-12 (can't remeber who had that engine)

The "Wankel" Rotory engine used by Mazda in the late 70's

As for commonly talked about engines, the Olds Rocket and Chevrolet Stove-Bolt six come to mind. Don't know if the Chevrolet small block would fall into that catergory but it was used as a 283 cu. in. to a 400 cu.in with several veriations by changing bore and/or stroke.

PULEEZE! It's the Marmon SIXTEEN (all caps). Howard Marmon received the SAE achievement award for this 490 CID 200 HP engine in 1931 and insisted that the marketers not refer to it as a V-16 since that was what Cadillac called theirs. All aluminum except for steel cylinder sleeves and crankshaft, it pulled more power per weight of engine than any other car - total engine weight was about 900 pounds.

Im not going to try and complete a list of ten but hope the following make the list

The famous Model T!

The Chrysler Slant Six

and - of course the HEMI!

Ditto on those Packard 12's - even went into aircraft!

Who could forget the Franlin air cooooooled engine - also adapted to aircraft usage (if I don't mention that one my friend Neil will charge me extra for my Charlotte auto fair spaces!).

More later...

Terry

My automotive interest so general. If it has an engine that makes noise I seem to be drawn to it. I got that from my dad.

1916 Ahrens Fox

1918 Mack AC Bulldog

1920 Stutz

1929 Duesenberg (for now)

1930 Pierce Arrow

1937 Pierce Arrow

1940 Ahrens Fox

1967 Pontiac LeMans Conv. (the beast)

I tried to get dad into the muscle cars but he was more into the firetrucks. cool.gif

Dear Novaman,I don't know what years you are calling VINTAGE but i gotta believe a small block Chevy belongs on the list.It IS the powerplant that took the place of the flathead Ford for most modified in almost everyones hot rod in the fifties, sixties and seventies.YOU forgot the start of it all,THE 265.diz smile.giflaugh.gif

In regards to the first photo you posted, I believe this is an L 29 Cord chassis, 1929 - 1932. The third photo you posted has a tubular rear axle in the background with hydraulic brakes on it - I believe this is the rear axle to the front drive Cord.

Guest De Soto Frank

My votes:

Model T Ford

Ford V-8

Chrysler Corp flathead sixes

Knight Sleeve valves

Franklin Air-cooleds

Chevy six (1929-53)

Buick Eight (inline)

Chrysler Hemi (1st generation: '51-'58)

Packard 12s

Caddy V-16 (OHV only)

Dizzy, I don't believe I said anything about VINTAGE. confused.gif

I did have the Chevrolet small block in the list. I listed it as "Don't know if the Chevrolet small block would fall into that catergory but it was used as a 283 cu. in. to a 400 cu.in with several veriations by changing bore and/or stroke." What the smallest cid was I'm not sure off ahnd without looking it up, the 283 was the smallest in the Chevy II.The largest cid was the 400. it was of course used for the 350 cid which everyone is fimilar with.

Guest De Soto Frank

Sorry Steve, I thought the Rocket 88 was so "automatic" for this list that it didn't need mentioning... crazy.gif

( At least I "forgot" the small-block Chevy too...)

I guess I'll have to step up and recommend the 1929-33 Studebaker President 8"s for consideration. At 337 cubic inch and 5 main bearings at was rated a 115HP in passenger cars but remember John Snowberger put one on the pole position at Indianapolis in 1931! That accomplishment remained unequaled until 1987 when the Brayton Buick became only the 2nd stock block engine to win pole position at Indy.

The only way to go faster and get more power is to burn more fuel! You can do it two ways basically, start with more cubic inches (Deusenberg method) or force feed it with a supercharger (Another Deusenberg method). So consider how much better designed a 5 liter aspirated engine was to get to be fastest at Indy. Remember also that 14 starters at Indianapolis in 1933 were Studebaker powered... yeah I know, a purpose built Miller won but the top 10 finishers were littered with Stude 8's. Stude8

The Presidents had 9 main bearings from 1931 to 33, the reference was to Snowbergers (Junkyard Formula) 1931 Indy entry, it had a 1928 engine was salvaged from a wrecked passenger car but used 4 Winfield carburetors so it could burn more fuel!! See one on the dyno in the attachment. Stude8

Guest De Soto Frank

So did the biggest Packard eight, and likewise the Nash eights...

But, "more main bearings = higher produciton costs = higher consumer price"...

But, Pierce, Duesenberg, Locomobile and the like existed in the "cost be damned" shpere while the bubble lasted...

I will offer my own personal observation where inline sixes are concerned, that seven-main sixes seem to take a lot more abuse than three & four-main sixes...

The last design of the Chevy straight six (230-250-292) bears this out, as does the Ford 300...Nash was always very proud of their seven-bearing sixes.

I would also like to nominate the Locomobile "48" T-head six - a huge monster of an engine...in the "leave in high and forget about it" torque category !

Guest De Soto Frank

"after all we are orphans now! "

You'll get used to it !... grin.gif

Runts & orphans make the best pets...

My "namesake" car has been an orphan since 1961...

Also another vote for the Duesenberg J engine.

Don't know where the car is now but there was a 32 Packard cabriolet that got a Duesenberg J engine transplant in the early 50's. I think it turned out to be a hemi eater. shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't Smokey Yunick destroke a SBC to 209 cubic inch in the 1960's to qualify for Indy? </div></div>

Nope. For starters, 209cid would not have matched any USAC Championship (Indy) engine formula of those days, and secondly, while Yunick was the undisputed master of the small-block Chevy in racing (not drag racing, however), he never set up one for Indianapolis or USAC Championship trail, rather he used Offenhauser 4's and transitioned to 4-cam Fords.

In those years, the maximum engine displacement for Indianapolis was 256cid, and 161cid for supercharged engines, regardless of whether stock-block or pure racing OHC engines.

Art

I'm not sure, but I don't think Stutz has been officially nominated. Both the Vertical Eight (1926) and the DV-32 (1932) were both industry leading engines.

The Vertical Eight was the most powerful engine in 1926, and was race-proven for reliability (almost winning Le Mans in 1927 by a wide margin, finally finishing second after losing high gear near the end).

The DV-32 produced 156 horsepower from and eight-cylinder powerplant, while it took Cadillac's V16 to produced 175 and Packard's 12 to produced 160. The Stutz featured hemispherical combustion, dohc, and four valves per cylinder. The hemi produced high-speed flame propagation, which virtually eliminated detonation and the need for high-compression: 5.0:1 standard, and 5.5 was optional.

I'd also would like to nominate the Duesenberg Model A and X engine as being a better product from Duesenberg than the J. If you read Duesenberg history, the Lycoming-built J was so poorly built that almost everyone of them had to be "rebuilt" when they arrived in Indianapolis. Lycoming was obviousy not interested in producing such a small number of engines, even though it was a company also owned by Cord.

Ok - you guys did real well. Here are the 10 that appeared on the list. Most you mentioned and others you made a good argument to be included.

1. 1955 Chevrolet samll block V8

2. 1951 Chrysler Hemi V8

3. 1928 Duesenberg Model J Inline 8

4. 1964 Ferrari 4.9 liter v-12

5. 1932 Ford Flathead V8

6. 1948 Jaguar twin-overhead-cam inline 6

7. 1979 Mazda RX-7 rotary

8. 1955 mercedes-Bena 300sl inline 6

9. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket V8

10. 1960 Volkswagen beetle Flat-4