National is never on the West Coast

John Frank

Questions:

When was the BCA National last on the West Coast?

When was the last time it was within 1000 miles of LA?

What percentage of the BCA membership is in California? Arizona?

Seems like there is a decided bias towards the east coast and Great Lakes which seems odd as I believe BCA was founded in California.

John, seems like it was in the later 1980s that it was in CA. California Capitol Chapter?

Before a BCA National Meet can "be" somewhere, a local chapter (or group of chapters) has to submit a formal bid to the BCA Board to host the meet. If most of the proposals come from "eastern" chapters, that's where they end up being. Another reason from many meets east of the Mississippi has to do with the many population centers in that area and the greater population of Buicks sold in those regions and, resultantly, more BCA members/chapters. Once you get west of the I-35 corridor, the number of BCA chapters gets very sparse until you get to the "left coast" area.

The BCA did start in CA and was run from that area for many years, up until several years ago.

Many of us would love to see a meet in CA, especially the LA area. That general area is home to some of the most respected names in the car hobby/hot rod industry/car restoration industry and many of us would like a "reason" to get out there to see some of that stuff. Many of those subjects have been on Barry Meguiar's "Car Crazy" cable show and other similar car enthusiast shows so I highly suspect there can be quite a bit of interest (other than mine) on a CA chapter in hosting a BCA National Meet out there. As I've mentioned previously, "It's time we went west for a change" (with all due respect to others in the eastern regions). Maybe a stop off in CO for the year after a CA meet too???

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

There are some solid rumblings (excuse the pun!) around the LA area about chapters in that area researching this topic for a bid in the next open slot...I'm pulling for this too being located in San Diego and seeing the awesome cars that show up for the different Buick events. Now I know why folks back east prize California cars so much when they come up for sale...

There are some great venues out here in CA. One of the Buick chapters does a real nice show around the Pasadena City Hall. I've been to a couple of really great auto shows at Knotts Berry Farm. I think they do a woodie show on the beach in North San Diego County. The third weekend in June Pismo Beach closes the streets of the town for a car show that has about 700 cars. They even put cars out on the pier. It doesn't get any more California than that venue. Just imagine classic Buicks on the pier and streets of Pismo Beach, with the beach, surfers, palm trees, and weather you can count on. Mission Bay would be a Buick show no one would forget. Buicks at Disneyland! If we could get off of the July time frame Palm Springs or Las Vegas would be super. Or how about the week before or the week after Reno's Hot August Nights! Or Pebble Beach!

QUESTIONS: Why has the BCA Board not received a bid to have a California National in the four years I have been on the Board?

Why has'nt a Chapter in California responsded to the interest of the BCA National in having a National in California?

Will the BCA Board ever receive a bid from a California Chapter(s)n to have a National????????

Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

John,

I have just recently completed serving 5+ years on the BCA Board of Directors, during which time this issue has been addressed over and over and over.

Also during this same period, the BCA Board has repeatedly invited any and all Chapters on the West Coast to submit a bid to host a National Meet. In fact, it was just short of BEGGING.

Guess what? Unless the bid was "lost in the mail", nothing was ever submitted!

Could Joe Blow be elected President if he didn't declare his candidacy? Or, could Buick ever sell an automobile if they didn't inform the public they were available?

Why don't YOU, and a group of your friends, set down some day and get real SERIOUS about hosting a Meet on the West Coast, instead of merely complaining that it hasn't happened?

Just remember this. Hosting a one or two day "car show" in Pasadena, or on some pier, is NOT quite the same as hosting a BCA National Meet. It requires a ton of planning, preparation, foresight, and VOLUNTEERS to put a good Meet together.

As a former BCA Board member, I can assure you the current BCA Board would very much welcome considering your bid, so BRING IT ON!!

Go Buicks,

Bob Leets grin.gifgrin.gif

Flint, MI

I went to both meets in California, and they were GREAT! I think you will find that if you have a national in the San Diego area you will have many cars from the east side of the country. I just returned from the national in Plano ,and I thought we would see many more Buicks from California. I was surprised that there were so few. This has been an on going complaint from the west coast for years. The only solution is to step up and make a bid. The BCA board can't do miracles. They need a chapter to make it happen.

Bid rejection? Just saying you want to do a national and letting the Board know is not really a "bid"--it needs to be a comprehensive bid package. As mentioned, it takes a good bit of planning and such, BUT it's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE or anything mystical, just sitting down and getting all of the "TriShields" (didn't want to say "ducks") in a row.

As I recall, the last AZ meet was not one of the most memorable BCA National Meets in history--other than some things like heat and using the cooler hours of the day to best advantage. I also suspect that the article that came out in The Bugle, although well meaning, probably scared off many from east of the Rockies--just my gut suspicion. In reviewing the number of awards presented at that meet, there were less than in either of the 1996 or 2004 National Meets in Plano, TX--as a point of reference.

There were, as I recall reading about, some major flaps about some incorrect equipment on 400 point judged vehicles. Incorrect year of wire wheels? Not to mention some big financial issues. A few current Board members probably remember these things too, but the Board is charged with making the best perceived decision on which bid is the best--regardless of who makes it.

I know there are some larger chapters in the AZ and CA area and have noticed that other Buick enthusiast groups have meets in Nevada and such, so it's not like there are not enough cars in that region that, if all attended, would make a nice sized regional or national event. Not that it would be an instant financial success, though, but that's where realistically careful financial planning for the meet comes in.

As Bob Leets mentioned, doing a national is not quite the same as doing a big cruise event on a weekend night, but a few aspect can be similar. The differences come in where you need to have some entertainment (tours, for example) during the earlier days of the meet (affordably priced too). Working with a Convention/Visitors Bureau to put together a hotel group nearby the host hotel/convention center complex where the meet will be can be highly preferable than dealing with hotel management, from what we've seen. But the main issue is event site selection as many that "look good" might not be when all aspects are considered (i.e., enough rooms, but not enough banquet space or parking space), so this is one of the most time consuming aspects of getting a national meet bid put together. Also, using a CVB can be advantageous as they can usually pull strings that individuals or hotel managers might not be able to.

There are also many things that would be neat to do, but can easily put the operating cost of the meet out of whack. For example, figure your break-even point (number of cars/room nights/registrants) conservatively and realistically and keep that in mind as the budget is put together. If there have been some national car club events in your region/area recently, network with the people that did them to formulate the "short list" of tours and activities. Many times, there are things the locals are used to that the visitors would be excited about doing. You might be surprised. In the case of a Southern CA meet, with so many outstanding car collections/businesses/activities, doing the tours could be pretty tough, but also providing maps to things that are not "tours" can help too as smaller groups might desire to drive to those locations--self-guided tours.

Having a video presentation of the meet hotel, other accomodations in the package, the actual meet venue, and general area can be a good idea too. This helps the Board see what the proposal actually is, plus those at the meeting too. Doesn't have to be a fancy presentation, but a credible one AND then you deliver what you proposed.

Other than the space requirements for the banquet, there will also be space requirements for the indoor swap meet (no "drippy" parts in there), judging administration, sufficient space for trophy/award assembly, and other work space for the various computerized and manual administration functions of the meet that the local chapter and BCA operatives will be performing.

So, as Bob mentioned, there are some definite side issues to deal with in a BCA National Event, but they are not as bad as they might sound, just making the long list of things to do and working through it in an orderly fashion. Once a suitable event site is found, the rest might seem easy--but the key thing is finding that "optimum", best choice (all things considered), event site. Also, what might seem like great event sites (on the surface) can turn out to be definitely "non-optimum" when further investigation is done. AND, above all, it MUST BE AFFORDABLE to attend, participate in, AND buy the necessary hotel room/nights at the hotels in the package. In reality, it's nothing more than effective planning, marketing, and execution just as if you were in a private business.

The planning/selection functions can be "fast-tracked" in some cases once "targets" are determined. It doesn't necessarily have to take months to make it happen, but it can. Getting a short list of the main contenders and letting the chapter members listen to the presentations and make the decision on the best site/package is a plus too. It also helps when the main chapter members have attended other national meets and recall what went right and what could have been done better. But once the final decision is made on the bid package and it's presented to the BCA Board, then everyone needs to be committed to making it happen in the best manner possible. It can help to have a large chapter to host the event, but a smaller chapter with dedicated volunteers or a group of chapters working together than make it happen too.

As much as many of us would like to see a West Coast/CA meet, the bid package must be a credible one AND able to survive a challenge from an East of the Mississippi chapter too. New York, Minnesota, CA, CO, and then GA, KS, FL, and ?????

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

You ask some valid questions, Mr. Brooks, but you didn't answer a couple that I asked. What percentage of the membership is in California? Arizona? As President I would expect you to have these numbers at your fingertips.

Also does the National organization make available any guidelines for making proposals? Any sort of RFP? List of requirements such as room nights, meeting rooms, social functions?

Hello John: Your expectation is misplaced. I do not handle membership in my office but it is handled by our office managers, Mike and Nancy Book. Their contact information is in the Bugle including their email address. However, I will email them and ask that they do a posting on this site.

When will you will be answering the questions I and others have posed? Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

John,

If you want to see what you need to do and have a planning document for putting on a National, take a look at Pete Phillips atricle on planning for a National. It was in the Bugle no more the 6 months ago.

Good luck in getting a bid together, I want to come west.

John, in prior times, there was a document (about 12 pages typewritten) that contained basically the "minimum bid specs" for doing the event and things to consider. It was quite intimidating when you first looked at it, but was pretty accurate as to what needed to be considered and submitted in the bid proposal. I know that at one time, there was supposed to be some "How To Do A National Meet" software around somewhere, but did not see any evidence of it or if it was a good deal after I heard that it was supposed to exist. I also don't know what the National Office has in their bid package information that they are sending out to possible host chapters in more recent times, but they would be the main contact in this area.

Also, in prior times, the National Office sent out a request each December for a current chapter member roster so they could cross-check the lists against the national roster list. For some reason, this does not seem to being done (in conjunction with the yearly chapter directors' survey) in more recent times so the National Office would be the contact on the numbers of members/chapter/region also. Therefore, for any "numbers things", the BCA National Office would be the contacts for that information. Whether or not the BCA President or any Board member would have this information "at their fingertips" can be a variable situation as it would depend on whether or not they are regularly requesting that information from the National Office (as they process new and renewal memberships there).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

"When will you will be answering the questions I and others have posed? Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA "

Right Now. Here are the questions you asked.

"Why has the BCA Board not received a bid to have a California National in the four years I have been on the Board?"

I haven't a clue. I live on the Central Coast of California with no major urban center so there is no chapter for me to participate with.

"Why hasn't a Chapter in California responded to the interest of the BCA National in having a National in California?"

Again because I am not able to participate with a chapter due to my location, I haven't any idea what the west coast chapters are thinking about this.

"Will the BCA Board ever receive a bid from a California Chapter(s)n to have a National????????"

Not participating with a chapter, I have no idea.

However I have a couple of further questions for you. Has BCA asked these questions of the leadership of each of the west coast chapters? If so, what were their replies? If BCA hasn't asked these questions, why the heck not?

BCA has a problem with the chapters in areas where a significant percentage of it's membership is located submitting bids for the national convention. What has BCA done to determine what the problem is?

"Why don't YOU, and a group of your friends, set down some day and get real SERIOUS about hosting a Meet on the West Coast, instead of merely complaining that it hasn't happened?"

Before answering that, I need to make it very, very clear that I am not soliciting business. My wife and I own a company that supplies management services to an number of aviation and military associations. With the exception of the judging, we put on your sort of meetings for our clients all the time. I dropped in on BCA Richmond, Columbus, Buffalo and have seen the numbers for Plano. So I have a good idea of the size and scope of the meetings and to be frank they are a little small to interest our company from a business standpoint.

I would much prefer to see a chapter put it on or several chapters get together to put it on. Even having BCA National do it would be fine with me.

But if no one else will step forward and the BCA board would like to see an independent proposal, someone from BCA needs only to tell me where they want a convention, when they want it there, and a rough guess at how many are likely to attend and we will put together a proposal. This would be different than BCA has ever done it before but at least you would have a proposal to say yeah or nay to.

Again I would prefer to see BCA and it's chapters solve the west coast convention thing on there own. And if some chapter chooses to bid I will be happy to share with them what I know and help with what I can, gratis.

Guest imported_BCAOffice

Just thought we would check the BCA discussion forum before going to bed tonight and looks like we found a slightly heated debate going on here!!!!!! First of all, the L.A. Chapter headed by Steve Rostam is in the process of filling out a bid request packet for 2007. There is also a possible bid from the Seattle area for 2007 or later. The question was asked about an outline concerning hosting a National meet. We send that type of information in a bid packet that goes out to any chapter that requests it. Past National meets held in California and some other areas west of the Mississippi river have been much smaller meets than those held back East...that is not a reflection on the quality of the cars attending, just the quantity. As for percentage of membership, California currently has 1144 active BCA members and Arizona has 156. The BCA currently has approximately 9400 active members.....you can do the math. As several individuals have pointed out, it requires an interested Chapter to submit a bid before the BCA can consider anyone hosting a National meet. The answers that we have received when talking to Chapter Directors in the California area about hosting a meet have been, "we don't have enough interested members", "we're too old", etc., etc. We have a vivid memory of Helen Hutchings being on the telephone the day before the 1985 National meet in L.A. begging members in that area to bring their cars out to the show. She got very little cooperation. With the membership numbers you have in California and the certain fact that you can't get your own state members to attend National meets held in California, the recuring theme that no one from back east will come out there isn't particularly valid, so we hope that we don't hear that comment. If there is any other information we can furnish please ask and we'll respond.

Mike & Nancy Book

BCA National Office Administrators

614-472-3939 (phone)

614-472-3222 (fax)

BCAOffice@BuickClub.org (email)

Guest my3buicks

This might be a good place/point to interject some of my thoughts having recently been appointed the new Regional and Chapter Coordinator. During my term I am planning on actively contacting(on a regular basis) ALL Chapter, Regional Directors, and will be happy to listen to all concerns from any member. I am hoping that by keeping an open line between Chapter, Chapter Directors, Regional Directors and the Board of Directors, that we may be able to build a more cohesive BCA. To often the ball was dropped in the past on MANY levels in the BCA or the BCA chain of command. I am hoping to be able to get the existing chapters better organized, and hope to be able to help many new chapters organize. Am I a miricle worker? No, just a dedicated BCA member that is good at organization and one that wants to see the BCA flourish and grow. Hopefully we can get the Chapters fired up again which will result in renewed interest in the BCA, and hopefully in hosting BCA events. If your not a BCA Chapter member ask yourself why not - distance? poor excuse!! you might not be able to make every event or activity but even if you make a few events/activities a year, you feel PART of something. For chapters that are struggling to get members or to maintain members, ask some of the larger more active chapters to send you a newletter to give you idea's that may help turn your chapter around. The chapter thing is not a competition, but it is a network of people all enjoying the same thing(BUICKS & FELLOWSHIP) so don't be afraid to ASK for help from other chapters and people in the BCA. This last statement directly relates to National Meets -if you are interested in hosting one as a chapter or group of chapters - don't be afraid to call up a chapter that has had a successful National and say, hey, help, we need some guidance and idea's. We all want the same thing - great National Meets wherever they may be!!! I'm up for a roadtrip grin.gif

"If your not a BCA Chapter member ask yourself why not - distance? poor excuse!! you might not be able to make every event or activity but even if you make a few events/activities a year, you feel PART of something."

You must be joking!!! I think you aimed that at me because of my previous remarks. Apparently you do not realize how big California is. Looking at the list of chapters San Gabriel or Los Angeles are the closest chapters to me, either of whom's events would be at least 175-200 miles from where I live. With job and family how many events do you think I might be able to participate in at that distance.

Hearing that LA is going to make a bid for 2007 is good news. Hopefully other CA chapters and members will give their support. I know I will clear my calendar and do what I can to help. Of course my wife and I have current plans to relocate to our home in Nevada by then, but what the heck, Nevada is awful hot in July so a couple of weeks hanging out in LA doing whatever we can to help wouldn't be to bad.

Good Morning Frank: Hope things are going well for you.

First, I want to thank Mike, Nancy, and Keith for contributing to the discussion in a positive way. Others have also contributed and their participation in the discussion is also appreciated.

Second, 200 miles to go to a BCA Chapter meet is routine in Iowa. Iowa is approximately 300 long and wide and with one Chapter we routinely have members traveling 150 to 200 one way to attend. I believe this must happen in other areas as well.

Third, if Frank has been reading my President's Message he would have learned of the Board's interest in going West. In furtherance of this goal we held a Board meeting in Seattle and have scheduled a Board meeting in San Diego for Feb. All of this is in hope of generating some interest in hosting a National on the West coast. I know from Gene in Seattle that they are considering a bid. I believe that it could work well if two or more Chapters joined together to host the National. This obviously would spread out the work and involve more people and probably cars. The Board will give very serious consideration to bids in the Western part of the US and has actively solicited them.

Frank, making statements to the effect that the BCA is exercising "bias" against Cal. and maybe Ariz. is negative and you made them without any inquiry into the facts. This type of reckless statement only hurts the BCA because others may actually believe it. Maybe you did so without thinking but your further hostile responses to responses by other BCA members makes me wonder. Get positive instead of negative and add something to the effort not just sit back and complain. Instead of being negative to the National be encouraging and supportive of those Chapters who want to actually roll up their sleeves and do something. Be part of the process not just a critic.

I was going to ask Mike Book to send you a packet provided to Chapters thinking about organizing a National but now realize it would do no good. Does anyone else in the West want one? If so contact Mike Book. Thanks,

Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

NoWhining.jpg

With all due respect, John, you really seem to be asking a lot of questions but not offering any solutions, nor even a willingness to do anything <span style="font-style: italic">except</span> ask questions. Offering to help if it's convenient for you is appreciated, but from what I've seen, it isn't the way a National gets planned. It takes a lot of dedicated people doing a lot of work for a lot of months. I haven't been a member long enough to help plan a National, but I guarantee I'll be part of the team that brings it to the Great Lakes region again.

HQ has told you why there haven't been any west coast meets recently--no west coast chapters have asked to host one. That's the way it works, it appears. If no chapter wants to host a National, well, we can't very well force them to do it can we? The way I look at it, National supports the local chapters, not the other way around. National doesn't dictate terms to the local chapters--this is a club for fun, remember?

You've now heard from the president of the BCA and the organizational team of Mike and Nancy Book giving you the facts you're looking for. But again, there is really only one reason for not having an west coast National: <span style="font-style: italic">nobody has asked.</span>

As far as joining a local, I'd say that would be a good place for you to start your campaign to get a west coast National. Distance is irrelevant, especially if it's "only" 200 miles (in CA, I was thinking in terms of 900+ miles)--my chapter typically meets more than 50 miles away from my house, and I still make it occassionally. Even if you only make one event, you're still part of it with a valid opinion to share. We all have families and jobs that make demands on our time, yet we find a way to make the things we want to do happen. Your voice CAN be heard; you just have to go through the proper channels to do it. Your situation isn't unique, but it'll just require some work on your part. For something of this magnitude, just sending in your check and saying, "I'll clear my calendar" isn't sufficient--a local puts the show on, and they need volunteers (that would be you).

Isn't that just the way it is: life always gets in the way of living!

PS: I'd come west for a National in a heartbeat.

Guest 52buick72r

I would like to add a thought or two to this discussion, if nobody minds. Lots of people have lots of ideas, many different from each other.

I belong to 4 clubs (BCA National, Yankee Chapter, AACA, and the Yesteryear of Oakdale Auto Club), and of the 4, two I am heavilly involved with, the Yankee Chapter, and Yesteryear. Each group has basically the same problem, at one time or another. The Yesteryear club has a 30 member limit, but for years it was the same 10 people doing the same thing. Burn-out was not uncommon, and there was a significant change of membership. Today, we have a great group of 30 who are happy to share in the difficulties, and yet participate all the time to share the highs. In the Yankee chapter, of the 50+ members on the roster, we get the same 15 to 25 members show up at the meetings, and share in the duties of our car show, etc. I myself carpool with another member an hour to 1 and 1/2 hours to the meetings alone.

There has been much discussion about hosting a National, or regional, and for the longest time it was the same reaction, ugh! All the requirements, planning, etc. In short, we have formed a sub-committe to look into hosting a regional, to test the waters so to speak. At the same time, we agreed to request a National info packet for review. It seems that the club has swung towards a more positive direction as far as regionals/nationals, and positive participation by enough members is all that is required to move forward. Someone wrote above that it may not require an entire club to plan the event. The key is "plan". We're not looking to host a regional in 2005, but rather in 2006, but we want to put all the pieces together first before announcing to the world that it's going to happen. IF it does, and IF it went well, we would consider a proposal for a National, but that is all speculation.

In short, practice makes perfect does fit this application.

As a BCA Board Member and being from Calif. I thought I would respond to Johns Emails. I must say that just about everything that needed to be said has been covered by other members! To host a National a local chapter/s need to apply. The chapter/s need to demonstrate that they have the manpower to get the job done and hosting a Regional in the past helps with the award. As mentioned in a prior post LA area members are working together to offer a Bid for 2007 . For whatever reason the West Coast does not draw the numbers that the East Coast does and that fact is based on past results. I am a Charter Member of the Riviera Owners Association and that Club has found the same results. This may be a factor as to why West Coast Chapters hesitate to offer a bid. I do think that the Nationals should move around regardless of the numbers! Shear numbers does not make a successful meet! I would like to see a National held in Sacramento as this location draws from the South, North, and East. Past meets there were great and the folks in the local Chapters are DEDICATED ! The members in the Northwest are VERY dedicated and they just keep driving East and South! Sacramento works well for them ! In any event the Board needs to get the Bids from the Chapters that want to Host - that's the bottom line and I speak for the Board when I say ALL BIDS ARE WELCOME ! The Board understands that the West has not been represented of late and will look very hard at any/all offers to qualified Chapters. I have been on the Board for a little over a year and I can assure you there is no bias as to where the meets are held. John, we hope to see you at the Board of Directors meeting in San Diego in Feb.. Watch the Bugle for further details.

"Frank, making statements to the effect that the BCA is exercising "bias" against Cal. and maybe Ariz. is negative and you made them without any inquiry into the facts. This type of reckless statement only hurts the BCA because others may actually believe it. Maybe you did so without thinking but your further hostile responses to responses by other BCA members makes me wonder. Get positive instead of negative and add something to the effort not just sit back and complain."

Where did I say BCA was biased? I asked questions of why it hadn't been on the west coast and what percentage of the membership was on the west coast and that is all. As far as getting positive instead of negative, I offered if no chapter came forward to bid on a west coast national to put together an independent proposal for a west coast national. After being told that LA is going to bid for 2007 said I would do all I could to help and that other chapters should support LA. How much more positive than that can I be?

"I was going to ask Mike Book to send you a packet provided to Chapters thinking about organizing a National but now realize it would do no good."

Interesting realization seeing as my company does meetings several times the size and scope of the BCA National dozens of times a year. Do you think a member whose company books tens of thousands of hotel room nights a year could perhaps be a tiny bit helpful in getting BCA a good deal?

I assume your refering to me repeatedly solely by my last name is because you did not read my messages close enough to realize my name is JOHN Frank or was that intentional?

Enough. If a west coast chapter wants my help making arrangements for their proposal, they know where to reach me. If a west coast chapter is successful in making a bid I will be the first to volunteer to assist in whatever capacity they think I can be helpful. I'll park cars, pick up trash, whatever.

Hi John,

I understand your mileage concerns but you should join a local BCA club. Even if you only make an event every so often...I belong to the San Diego BCA and have driven up to LA area for events, especially Pasadena which is a great show. It's about 150 miles for me and I leave early in the AM to get there for the shows but what is better than driving that Buick? btw, the folks in the LA and San Gabriel Valley BCA chapters are awesome folks and I'm sure they would love to have you as a member and assist in any planning of events. I'm sure they probably even have some members up your way!

I also belong to the SoCalGS club. It extends from the mexican border all the way past LA...we just try to move the meetings and events around between south and north locations to keep the member involved.

Just thought you might want to know that some of the clubs in CA do recognize the diversity of locales of the membership and try to accomodate it! :-) Heck maybe you should go to some of the local shows and events and form a local BCA chapter in your area!

Give me a shout if you ever just want to talk Buick! I'm kinda new to the BCA world and the great Buicks but hey it's how we all learn, right? cool.gif

what happen to the "national coordinator" and the "starter kit" proposal which we were talking about last year?

I myself, would be afraid to sign an 80k contract hotel reservations as a newbie events coordinator.

Our Friend John, should not be shouted down because he cannot plan a national himself.

(let's get Paul Meyers to do it...Him an Mini!)

I'm pleased to see the strong interest in a West Coast National Meet. I was fortunate to attend the Nationals in Los Angeles (1985) and Sacramento (1991), and both were excellent meets. Yes, the number of cars shown was less than we've seen at meets in held in Flint, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis, but the enjoyment factor was strong.

I can confirm Pat's and Mike's comments regarding a future bid for a Buick National Meet in Seattle. Historically, there has been little interest in hosting a meet here, but the environment has changed and the chapters here in the Northwest have constructive, positive leadership that is willing to exercise the needed initiative. Speaking for my chapter (North Cascade), we had many members attend last year's big meet in Flint, and most returned from the experience with great enthusiasm for submitting a bid for a future meet. It may take some time for us to prepare and submit a bid, but there is strong determination to make certain that it happens.

We've recognized that a successful meet here in the Northwest will require the active effort of all chapters in our area. Our initial efforts will be focused on developing a new "Pacific Northwest Region" comprised of the North Cascade, Puget Sound, and Portland (Oregon) chapters. We have strong contacts with BCA members in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area, and hope to help those individuals revive the defunct Inland Northwest Chapter. Moreover, we believe that some of the local Buick clubs in British Columbia, Canada can serve as the nucleus for a future chapter in that province, and we've also heard rumors of a possible new chapter in the Olympic Peninsula area of Washington state. (Keith, we'll be contacting you during the months ahead for your help!) By developing a strong BCA Region and utilizing the region as a mechanism for hosting a meet, we can distribute the work load among more members and ensure greater participation at the meet itself.

Other marque clubs have had the same experience that West Coast meets draw fewer cars than those east of the Mississippi. The Olds Club will holds its National Meet in Seattle next year, and we will be watching with interest to see how the numbers turn out. I am not convinced that a West Coast meet MUST be smaller than an Eastern meet! We have noticed that the Puget Sound Chapter's one-day show -- lacking even the benefit of a "Coming Events" item in the "Bugle" -- attracted more than 175 Buicks last month. Most of those cars were local, Western Washington cars. I can't claim to have THE answer to getting cars out to a National meet, but I have confidence that a long-term marketing approach and actively involving other chapters can help ensure strong attendance. The membership base certainly exists to make Western meets as large as some of the Eastern meets.

I am excited about the prospect of excellent, memorable BCA Nationals in California and the Northwest during the next several years!

I have not read through all these messages, and probably will not take the time to do so, completely. But I thought I might as well put in my two cents. I do not recall seeing anyone suggest that Mr. Frank considering contacting listed members in his area, and maybe forming a Chapter, more local. Did not this just happen around Pittsburg? (I do not know the history there, but it seems all parties there are happy).

And everyone - remmber this hobby is supposed to be fun - its not politics. If you think it will work, try it.

John

Right you are John. I say Fight Chevy's, and Mopars, not other BCA members. BTW, Im ready to try a road trip to California. I thought Flint was way too close from Albany NY.

John D

Guys

The 2007 National Meet Committee has been formed, we have met several times and have picked a host hotel. We are currently assembling a bid package for presentation at the February board meeting in San Diego. If everything goes as planned, we will see all of you in Los Angeles in 2007.

I would like to let everyone know that the LA area or the Southern California area is a very very high tourist attraction and most hotels are at about 80% capacity throughout the year. It is very challenging to set up a national here. No hotel is really hungry or interested in our business. Also it is very difficult to find a place large enough to hold 400 cars. Our location is close to the ocean so heat is not an issue and there is so much automotive history here, that the members will be busy for days.

If anyone is interested in joining our committee please respond.

Thanks

WOOHOO!

Have you guys solicited the other area clubs for help? I know I've inquired about the San Diego chapter assisting or being involved and they may be waiting for a formal ask. Maybe the other clubs are doing the same...and don't forget the smaller clubs like the GN club and the GS club! I know there are some memebers of those clubs that shy away from membership in the BCA...it would be great if accomodations for all could be made and generate the excitement early and often to draw them all in! cool.gif

Guest imported_moopar2ya2

Oboy! I only have three years to get my car ready to go! I love visiting San Diego.

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Steve: It is with great interest that I read your post. Even though we have crossed paths several times since we had our multiple chapter meeting in Pasadena earlier this year, I and the Director of the Orange County Chapter have not heard a word from you regarding the plans for a National meet in So. CA. tongue.gif

In fact our Director mentioned to me last week, that he "thought you had lost interest in having a National meet here". I told him that you were probably just too busy with the All GM Show, which was great, and the planning for the Cadillac meet.

As coordinator of the Golden West Region, I would really like to receive an update on the plans you mentioned in your post and I know that Larry Minery,Director of the Orange County Chapter, would also like the same. I presume you still want our Chapter to help you with the planning as well as the meet if we have one. smile.gif

Lots of good comments.

Personally, I have attended and exhibited in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills as part of my full time job. There is a lot of things to see and do in that area, but it is hot and expensive. Room rates and the general overhead expenses to the hosting chapter would probably be some of the highest in the country.

Another factor to consider is the drive. Many members love to drive their prized possessions to the convention, and many trailer them to the show. That is not an easy drive, whether you go through the Denver route (I-70), Cheyenne (I-80), Tulsa (I-40) or the Southern (I-10) route through Texas, New Mexico and that HUGE desert. The idea of overheating Buicks attempting 120 degree desert heat or going through the 5,000 ft elevations of Colorado is a scary picture.

In order to counter those issues, I would suggest anyone wanting to host a West Coast national consider and explore if any of the following ideas are fesible:

1) LOCATION: Rather than the LA area, consider going north to Napa Valley or Sonoma Valley area. MUCH cooler climates, better prices and a lot of great sites to visit.

2) TRANSPORTATION: Has anyone ever tried to get a "group" rate to have Buicks transported via car hauler? The rate is expensive if you are buying the trip as an individual, but lots of dealers will buy an entire car carrier when buying cars at auction and the price per unit is relatively cheap. If, for example, people drove to a central location like Dallas or St. Louis on a specific date, and the club had a group rate by filling up one or several car carriers, the rate per car would be much less. The owners could then fly out of a nearby major airport. Their cars would arrive a couple of days later, without the worry of breaking down on that 1500-2000 mile drive out West.

Just a couple of things to throw in the mix. The West coast is great, but expensive to visit when compared to other nationals like Dallas or Columbus. Making it easier and less expensive to attend would be a sure way to ensure a good turnout.

Joe

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi John: I can understand why you would not want to drive close to 200 miles to a chapter meeting in L.A. Driving thru So.CA. rush hour traffic is not quite the same as 200 miles in mostly rural IOWA. I live in Orange County and it took me 2½ hours to drive to L.A. (40 miles)on a recent Saturday evening.

For the last 2 years our Chapter has made an overnight weekend trip to the Santa Maria area in the Fall, and I think we are going to do it again this year.

Among other things we included attending the Santa Maria Air Show, which was great fun to see all of those vintage airplanes do flybys. If you would like to meet with us on our trip this year, let me know, I think it might be sometime in September. smile.gif

Guest COMPACTBC

Every area of this great country of ours has "Weather Issues". There were two main reasons that I did not go to Plano this year. 1. I am still a little burned out from my drive to Flint last year. 2. All of the frequent tornadoes and hail storms and floods that the areas between California and Texas were having this year was more than I was willing to expose my car to. Permanent damage/destruction to my car is much more serious than a day of hot weather in the desert in my opinion. It is a lot easier to drive the Desert at night and early morning hours that it is to run from a tornado or hide from golf ball size hail.

You are correct about the expensive lodging here in So. California, but with a little bit of extra effort you can find motels away from tourist/resort areas that won't put you in bankruptcy.

Your idea of pooling shipping expense is a good one, and might be worth looking into, especially with the current price of gasoline. Buicks are VERY fuel thirsty. tongue.gif

Alright. Now we're fighting Chevys and Mopars!!! California here I come!

Having a new 4 core radiator built for the GS as we speak. Damn the desert! The little lady will definitely expect to do Vegas if we drive that close anyway.

On bulk shipping, we had five cars from MA and CT shipped to Flint last year at quite some savings, but plan to arrange a central pick up and return point, because that is how you will save. We found even if you tell them you want to move 5 or 6 cars, and return, if they are at separate locations even a few miles apart, they are not saving time (translate to money).

As an aside, when they came to pick up or cars in Flint Saturday afternoon, they already had a Corvette inside the trailer and though the could all fit. They did not and we suggested they just leave the Corvette in the college parking lot, so some of the cars stayed out overnight, we all almost missed the dinner and show, but by morning they had another trailer and all were delivered safely, even though we had considerable anxiety.

John