Does the Buick Lido still exist?

Centurion

Among the lesser known Buick show cars of the 1950's was a car known as the "Buick Lido", featuring a custom-built body by Pinin Farina. I've read virtually nothing about this car over the years, but understand that the roof raises automatically when the door is opened to facilitate entry and exit to the passenger compartment.

Apparently built in 1957, the overall concept seems predictive of the first Riviera, but styling is completely unique. The roof and rear quarter treatment brings "Facel Vega" to mind, which is perhaps my favorite European car of the '50's and '60's.

Does anyone know more about this Buick that was apparently done with GM's blessing and (probably) money? I wonder if it still exists and, if so, where it is located now.

gm_buicklido.jpg

• 14 years later...
On 12/18/2003 at 11:51 AM, Centurion said:

Among the lesser known Buick show cars of the 1950's was a car known as the "Buick Lido", featuring a custom-built body by Pinin Farina. I've read virtually nothing about this car over the years, but understand that the roof raises automatically when the door is opened to facilitate entry and exit to the passenger compartment.

Apparently built in 1957, the overall concept seems predictive of the first Riviera, but styling is completely unique. The roof and rear quarter treatment brings "Facel Vega" to mind, which is perhaps my favorite European car of the '50's and '60's.

Does anyone know more about this Buick that was apparently done with GM's blessing and (probably) money? I wonder if it still exists and, if so, where it is located now.

gm_buicklido.jpg

Quoting Centurion so perhaps he will be notified of this resurrection,   as he doesn't come around here much anymore. :(

I was watching some FB pictures posted on one of The pages dedicated to classic cars when this Buick Concept caught my eye. When I googled (this term will become a verb if not already so) it directed me to Centurion 2003 post plus other info that I shared but the original question has not been answered yet. Does it still exists? Now that Moderator Brown had finish with his “Buick Service Center”, perhaps he can do some research and enlighten us with his findings

• 2 weeks later...

Curiously, after seeing Centurion's resurrected post on the Lido, just last week I picked up this obscure book published in Switzerland, the International Automobile Parade, Volume II from 1958.

5a8606a5aa958_AutoParade1Cover1958.thumb.jpg.99157aea745da01397fb61105a00bef2.jpg

On a page devoted to Pinin Farina of Turin, the Buick Lido and a similar Alfa Romeo were pictured. 

5a8607b40556a_PininFarina2BuickLidoAlfa.thumb.jpg.b3c8a79ff777d7eb63a3ab2c6939dfbf.jpg

Note the 15-inch difference in wheelbases between the two.

5a860db3816a9_PininFarina1cxBuickLidoAlfa.thumb.jpg.71bdd90a84b773d0147d6e7a9ef8d941.jpg

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2