Automotive naming blunders

Amphicar BUYER

Detroit mistakes with car names are long and legend.

For example, why in the world would AMC name a new car a Gremlin, which was WWII slang for problems?

Why would Lincoln abandon the name Continental for their Euro-trash, meaningless names, such as MKZ, MKS, when the name Continental had ties back to nearly every president since JFK? (By the way, know who thought the name 'Continental' wasn't so useless after Lincoln threw it away? BENTLEY!) Just go Google 'Bentley Continental' and see what comes up.

And, of course, finally, the whiz kids at GM that have been throwing away every name with heritage for years, including Park Avenue, Lesabre, Regal, Caprice, Deville, Seville, BelAir, and more, for the latest meaningless name, such as Lumina, Traverse, Uplander, and many more?

If Ford hadn't been selling revised Mustangs and Dodge hadn't made a splash with the Challenger and Charger, wonder if the Camaro would have been called......(fill in the blank).

Joe

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

I saw a logo of the old REO vehicles (i.e., the company founded by Ransom E. Olds following his departure from Oldsmobile) actually called "RIO" for those vehicles sold in Spanish-speaking countries. Apparently, "REO" in Spanish refers to a convict or offender, whereas "RIO" is merely the Spanish word for 'River".

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Ford Probe always gave me the shivers. I would never buy a car with a name like that in a million years. It would be perfect for a proctologist, though.

I believe the Sopwith Camel (WWI fighter plane) got its name from the hump between the engine and the cockpit. There was also a Sopwith Snipe aircraft, long before the Humber Super Snipe car. I presume both were named for the game bird, ignoring the other meanings of a long-beaked eel or a contemptible person.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

While the car is pretty decent, I can't think of a worse modern name than the 'Prius."

In a world going crazy over the 'green' movement, and with Toyota using other northwestern names (Tacoma, Tundra) names, I would think "Evergreen' would have been the perfect name for the Prius.

Maybe we need a new term to go with oxymoron, the shudabin. No Va is a "shudabin". as is Toro Nado. One I have always though appropriate was my Pontiac TranSport.

The funniest was a series of Pontiac Firebirds around 1977 with color keyed Formula wheels: The RedBird, YellowBird, and SkyBird (they could not use BlueBird because a certain coach manufacturer had the name trademarked). Most lucrative for someone else was the Trans AM - the SCCA receives a royalty for each one sold.

Longest name on a short car I know of is the FIAT ABARTH Bialbero Serie II 1000.

and then there is the Boston-Beany Sprout.

I always smile every time I see an Avalanche.

I can just hear the discussion in the GM board room now: "OK, guys, what do you think about naming a truck after a monster, out-of-control snow slide that goes down the side of a mountain, killing people and destroying buildings?

Sounds good to me......"

Maybe next we will get the Mudslide, the Hurricane, the Sunami, and the Rock Slide.

While the car is pretty decent, I can't think of a worse modern name than the 'Prius."

In a world going crazy over the 'green' movement, and with Toyota using other northwestern names (Tacoma, Tundra) names, I would think "Evergreen' would have been the perfect name for the Prius.

Unlike most of the gobbledy-gook names that Asian manufacturers have come up with in the last 30 years, Prius is actually a word. It's latin for antecedent, or "one who comes before". I frankly can't think of a better name.