ripped off

Benny Stubenrauch

Not sure if they want these kind of posts here and if I will get blocked, but I have been looking for 3 fenders for a 1953 Buick and have gotten responses from my posts here. Well I contacted someone from a post here and have been ripped off for $700.00. I will tell what happened to me and what I believe are red flags to look for so hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. I will tell what happened in several post as I have limited time online. Like I say I hope I don't get blocked. I will lay out what happened and as a final post give the the information of who ripped me off. I don't believe Thieves should be protected, they should be exposed. Thanks stay tuned

Sad this happened to you.  If offered specific parts, be very specific in pictures requested.

Even then, photoshop and AI are your enemy.

One wonders if scams on Internet may lead to more reliance on face to face transactions, such as Hershey.

One can only wish.

• Like 2

My son is on a car and guitar forum. They both have rules when selling parts. They must have a personal message attached to them or they are taken down. Something like a handwritten message that the buyer request 'this part is for So n So' with todays date. Not 100% fool proof but I can see it helping a bit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Benny Stubenrauch said:

Not sure if they want these kind of posts here and if I will get blocked, but I have been looking for 3 fenders for a 1953 Buick and have gotten responses from my posts here. Well I contacted someone from a post here and have been ripped off for $700.00. I will tell what happened to me and what I believe are red flags to look for so hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. I will tell what happened in several post as I have limited time online. Like I say I hope I don't get blocked. I will lay out what happened and as a final post give the the information of who ripped me off. I don't believe Thieves should be protected, they should be exposed. Thanks stay tuned

I don’t think your post will be blocked or taken down by the moderators. Many here have fallen prey to scammers and told their story as a warning and others have provided excellent advice to prevent being preyed upon. Please provide your details when you have the time. It will be appreciated by all. An ID of the scammer always helps too and if that person is on the forum, that individual can be banned by the moderators

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We're anxious to hear the rest of the story so don't keep us in suspense too much longer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Benny Stubenrauch said:

Report the thieves as soon as possible!  The moderators will ban him!

• Like 1

Odd the OP has not even visited the forum since the original post. 

Ripped off for $700.00, I going to post the information on the individual who ripped me off. I mailed him a check so I have address, name, email address and banks. I would like to see him not rip any one else off. The email is wangeog@aol.com  also has a name of Wank George,  wanky george Actual name that I know of is George  Weis, has an address of 67 Hanson Place 11E , Brooklyn, NY  11217. He cashed my check at Municipal Credit Union , Federal Reserve Bank  22 Cortlandt St. NY NY 10007, the credit union probably had nothing to do with the fraud but I want as much information out there as possible. George also said that he never received the check and I should wire him another $700.00 to, Bank Wells Fargo account number:40630251451977774, Routing number:121000248  Swift Code  WFBIUNESS  account type BUSINESS CHECKING,  address  9450 Southwest Gemini Drive, Beaverton OR,  97008, USA . I didn't wire money to George because the Check had all ready been cashed. I would think Wells Fargo had nothing to do with the fraud, but I believe the more information on this person the better. 

• Like 1

Hey Benny,

This same individual reached out to me multiple times to my personal email about parts I needed. Every time I get this type of response, I google them, and this is what came up below and he is all over the interweb. They will change the names so rapidly it is hard to keep up with them.  It is sad that we have to be uber diligent in covering ourselves from getting taken. it is not like the old days with the "nickel ad's" and we met a person face to face or could trust them to send your parts across the country.  May Karma be waiting for them at 100% payback.

image.png.51bf47674d6ff1908ad5b5584f861aab.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Can you not just stop payment on the check????

I believe once funds are drawn against a"cashed" check, as the poster said, there's no way to stop the transaction.

As far as I know, PayPal is one of the safest ways to buy from strangers.

• Like 1

I hope that you get your money back, and that this criminal is jailed. 

Here is a tactic that has been tried on me for everyone to beware of. I don't remember the real names but here is the method: 

They will have multiple fake identities on message boards like this or in facebook groups. One of them may be a legitimate sounding business name like " Wanks Antique Auto" or anything like that. When a topic comes up seeking a source, or even just discussing a rare item, the scammer thru one of his fake identities will say: "Wanks Auto has one of them. They are good people to deal with" Then a link.  The mark thinks they have been referred to a legit business who has a rare part at a good price and then you know what happens...

Beware!

• Like 2