Mohair upholstry

yachtflame

The sources for mohair and broadcloth car fabrics are becoming few and far between.

Try Classtique, they’ve expanded into wool materials. Some of their pricing is interesting.

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/hardware-yard-goods

SMS is mentioned often but seems hated, as they’ll take your money and give you promises, but sometimes years to deliver.  I’ve heard that they try to build up orders then get a run of material done to meet the orders, rather than the other way around.  This whole paragraph is hearsay.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you are really serious look up K and M fabrics in Greenville, SC. Last number I have for them is (864)-295-2550. They used to carry a fabric called Woolovet in several colors. It's a very nice mohair type material with a slightly stiffer backing. Very good quality and appearance. They are wholesalers, so it only comes in 50 yard rolls. Your car, if you do the whole interior , may take 15-20 yards, maybe a little more. Tell the salesperson what you are doing with it and ask for samples. What I did was to place an ad on the forum seeking anyone who may need some mohair fabric in the color I needed. I had a good response and sold the extra material I didn't need. The price at the time was extremely lower than all of the current parts suppliers. It took a little work but it paid off for everyone involved!  Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Wow! They really love their material!!!

Well, when you’re the only game in town, then you can control admission cost.  Does get a little expensive, as a sedan might take 15-18 yards of material.

Apparently numerous woolen mills have shut down, both in US and in Europe.

I hear there’s a person in the New England area who will custom weave material, I do not have her contact info.

Mohair is not a wool product.  Wool upholstery is called Broadcloth.  Mohair is made from the Angora goat.  I kind of doubt if real mohair is still made.  I found this which they call mohair, but it could be a synthetic textile.  Getting hair from this guy is hard!  

https://thefabricco.com/products/mohair-upholstery-fabric-8216-nevada-698-camel?variant=47919035515159

mohair.jpeg

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How long would mohair last if properly stored?
My Rickenbacker has mohair interior and I would like to purchase some and have it for later on should I need to replace the upholstery. 

3 hours ago, zepher said:

How long would mohair last if properly stored?
My Rickenbacker has mohair interior and I would like to purchase some and have it for later on should I need to replace the upholstery. 

I've seen it last 80 improperly stored, if that's any indication.

• Like 1

80 Years surviving as the seat upholstery in a car. If it can do that, it should last in proper storage until you use it. 

• Like 2

Garment size?  Sounds like suit material.

Don’t use it.  

Clothing material and furniture material and car material are three separate things.

Has to do with weave, sitting on or sliding on, UV resistance, and other factors.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)