Has anyone ever read Walter P. Chrysler's autobiography?

marcapra

It's called Life of an American Workman c. 1937.  Just want to know if it's worth a read.  I read Lee Iacocca's autobiography back in the early 90s, and it was a very entertaining read.  Just want a recommendation on the Chrysler autobiography.  Did Ford, Buick, GM, Olds, Dodge Bros., or other carmaker's write autobiographies?  

life of chrysler.jpg

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Alfred P. Sloan wrote two books that I'm aware of.  One is called Adventures of a Blue-Collar Man and the other is My Years at General Motors.  I have Henry Ford books from 1924 My Life and Work and 1926 Today and Tomorrow but haven't read them yet.  I hope to read the 1924 book this year.  I also recently got this book:

The Birth of Chrysler Corporation and Its Engineering Legacy: Breer, Carl, Sae Historical Committee, Yanik, Anthony J.: 9781560915249: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 1

Bob Lutz's book, Car Guys Versus Bean Counters,

isn't a full-life autobiography, but it covers in detail

his time as Vice Chairman of General Motors.

I found it very interesting:  It gives his thoughts on

why GM declined, and how he strove to bring

back good design and quality of assembly.

Later, I interviewed him for our regional AACA newsletter.

Those interested in cars, or company management,

should find it entertaining and informative.

• Like 1

I remember reading an excerpt from Chrysler's book many years ago.  He talks a lot about his childhood, and I remember him saying in those days you had to know how to fight at school.  Bullys would challenge new students on, so Chrysler had to learn how to defend himself quickly.  

If you really want to read a book about Chrysler, Read this one. Very well written, thoroughly enjoyable and complete. 666 pages, that does not include the index, etc.

image.jpeg.3bf836fe59eac02d4c44205bd8300ad9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have read Walter Chrysler’s book (several times) and found it fascinating.  I have purchased a number of copies on eBay, and always keep one or two on hand.  I have given away many to friends and fellow car guys.  I have also found quite interesting as a companion book, Carl Breer’s work, “The Birth of Chrysler Corporation and its Engineering Legacy”.  Breer was Chrysler’s chief engineer.  Some great photos in there from his personal archives.  People of a certain age (mine) often think of Chrysler as #3 of the big three, but there is a history of leadership and innovation (and risk-taking) there that is truly worth exploring.

Edited by Akstraw
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I read the Vincent Curcio book when it was first published, and it remains one my favorites. Whenever some car guy is looking for a good read, this is the one I tout.

• Like 2

I have a copy of Chrysler's bio. It's worth a read, but more as a period piece for some insight into Chrysler's character and personality. It doesn't really get specific about the cars and at least half the book focuses on Chrysler's early years as a railroad engineer before he even gets into the automobile business.