1949 Ford Woody - $14,500

This is just the kind of ad that's caused a lot of trouble for me over the years! 

"Looks easy, how hard can wood be?" he said to himself...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/hayward-1949-ford-woody/7780382640.html

1949 Ford Woody, been in storage since 1966, the original flat head engine and 3speed manual transmission are removed but they can go with the car if you want them, the wood is decent except for the drivers door. All original interior. Text only: nine two five 518-0552

1949 Ford Woody 100m0m_9SbHh2HUrWU_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00c0c_bZ7B4vTlEkC_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00L0L_7zOU9NhL7pW_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00606_boce6JBtRUC_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00K0K_k36nmsocOLm_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

woodwork by a qualified professional the costs add up fast.  If I was to consider a woodie I would look for one that doesn't need woodwork!

Standard Catalog 1946-1975 indicates 31,412 1949 wood-bodied Ford wagons produced, so they weren't exactly rare, but certainly not common 75 years later. Probably worth a stab for someone with the resources to do the car.

Is the wood on these structural, or just covering a metal substructure? Looks like there's wood missing on the tailgate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Is the wood on these structural, or just covering a metal substructure? Looks like there's wood missing on the tailgate?

Maybe you can get an idea of the steel structure under the wood from these pictures.

1949-51-body-assembly-600.jpg?resize=584%2C390&ssl=1

1949/50 Ford Woody Wagon - Image 1

1949 Ford Woody Wagon for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-666569

Product photo of 1949 Ford woody wagon · Wood

Might take more of a forensic architect than a carpenter to restore, though.

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The OP car looks like it sat next to a lawn sprinkler while sitting outside for a few too many years. I dislike admitting to it? But my dad did that to a 1964 Cadillac a few decades back. Made me sick seeing it. Yes he was a true hoarder. He was going to restore it some day. I tried to talk him out of it. But after twenty years next to a lawn sprinkler that nearly like new '64 Caddy that really only needed a transmission rebuild had rusted to beyond restoration.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

The person who made the wood for my 1948 Packard Station Sedan does make a complete wood kit for the “shoebox” 1949-51 Fords. He is located in Osceola Wisconsin. He does fantastic work. 

There used to be a place near Long Beach CA that also did this, I don't know if they are still around. I visited there  some years ago...it was an interesting operation! 

1 hour ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

The person who made the wood for my 1948 Packard Station Sedan does make a complete wood kit for the “shoebox” 1949-51 Fords. He is located in Osceola Wisconsin. He does fantastic work. 

If the Ford kit is done to same level as your Packard, fantastic is an understatement. 

This Ford would be a simple enough mechanical restoration and the body metal looks in good condition. With a proper wood kit, maybe it could wow people again same as it did in 1949. But that's way out of my skillset!☺️

The 49 was the car that dragged Ford kicking and screaming into modern automotive design. It made every other 1949 car, even the slab-sided Kaiser-Frazer products, look ten years old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:10 AM, Leif in Calif said:

the wood is decent except for the drivers door.

Whoever wrote the ad hasn't looked at the tailgate in a long time. Maybe missing wood doesn't count? 

• Haha 1