For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible - Not Red or White - Museum car 2011-2023 - Oak Creek, WI - Not Mine - 7/27 Reduced

For sale on Craigslist: 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible in Oak Creek, WI  -  $23,900  -  Call Bob: 262 930 03 five seven

On 7/27, Seller reduced price to $22,900

Link: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/oak-creek-1964-oldsmobile-starfire/7766524923.html 

Seller's Description:

1964 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible

• condition: good
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 74,800
  • paint color: blue
  • title status: clean

ONE OF ONLY 2,410 PRODUCED. 74,800 MILES. STILL HAS FACTORY UNDERCOATING.

• 2011 TO 2023 WAS ON DISPLAY AT THE KEARNEY AUTO MUSEUM, NEBRASKA. PRIOR TO THAT WAS IN THE PRIVATE COLLECTION OF BERNIE TAULBORG.
  • TOP AND REAR WINDOW WERE REPLACED, FRONT SEATS REUPHOLSTERED. NEW BRAKES, MASTER CYL., FUEL PUMP, SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES.
  • MOTOR WAS REPLACED IN 1970 AT 58,934 MILES.
  • HAS A/C BUT NEEDS SERVICING.
  • HAD A REPAINT BUT WAS SOME YEARS AGO.

WILL NOT ANSWER TO "IS IT AVAILABLE"

image.png.d8d6be51091ced3872912264a35d2d16.png

image.png.e7b45b753cf0c72acd13d4125f0ea998.png

image.png.fe8d58399343bc4e85dc516fb0fc33f9.png

image.png.7fe8d51682d92657447f6839033c45cb.png

image.png.88816e6796b19a598d8bf848089376f2.png

image.png.6dedb6ef520d847e4a1cdcfc7ce8efd1.png

image.png.14bb7075bc7ae76e371e9cd57230fb96.png

image.png.aca7f29aabf11e2b07d005eb037630e7.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It looks like a nice car;  and I agree, JP,

that it's good to see a convertible that

isn't trite white or red.

Here, once again, the seller states that he

won't respond to questions whether the car

is still available.  How can that inquiry from

a potential buyer annoy a person of calm demeanor?

After an ad has been posted for months, it's natural

for a buyer to ask whether the car is still for sale!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Neat car and great color but several questions upon looking at the photos: Is that a seam in the drivers seat opening up on the bottom cushion on the right side of the reupholstered seats? Why? Why when the car was 6 years old the engine replaced?  And John's question /comment makes perfect  sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Car passes the rear bumper test but whoever painted it, as usual, got things wrong. I don't understand why people can't get the front fender vent ornaments right. They are supposed to be painted body color except for the outlines.

I'm wondering about a 60k mile engine replacement too. More specifically, was the replacement engine another Starfire engine. 

• Thanks 2

this is a cool convertible for 23 grand. For me I wouldn't be concerned with a 40 year old engine replacement or a seat that's been repaired; I would be more concerned with the back seat bottom that the the vinyl has cracked.  It's rare to have ordered a convertible with air conditioning.  Judging by the original compressor this is probably and R12 system that hasn't run in years.  So the seller says the A/C needs servicing is not necessarily correct, it needs rebuilding!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, deac said:

I would be more concerned with the back seat bottom that the the vinyl has cracked.

Oh it gets better. That cracked section is leather.

At least it's white and most leather suppliers stock it. The colors are a metallic finished leather which means ordering and dyeing a whole hide and hoping the dyer gets the color right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I am guessing that you don’t spend much time on Facebook or Craigslist. And likely you haven’t tried to sell something on there lately. 

When you list something on Facebook marketplace the ad creates an easy reply window that can be used to contact the seller.  The default text in the reply window is “Is this still available?”   One click (you are already logged on) and a message with that exact text is sent to you.  

When you have an advertisement up you will typically receive 2-10 “Is this still available?” Every day! You respond saying that it is and that you are ready to discuss it more and do you have any questions and you will get no further contact from the supposedly interested party.  

Very aggravating!!!

It seems people just like clicking on the automatic reply button with no intention of making actual contact with you.  😡

A real waste of your time.  

Craigslist also has a reply feature but it takes a couple of clicks.  

Sometimes the “buyer’s” first contact is “I will give you $xxx”.  A number that is 1/4 or less of your asking price.  

The seller in this case is telling people that he is never going to waste even a moment with one of the automatic replies.  

When you REALLY want to connect with the seller you reply with a personalized message (that is obviously not AI) asking serious questions and asking about arranging a in person meeting. 
Then the seller will respond knowing that you are a real person who is actually interested.  

The seller is not being rude to a serious buyer, rather he is filtering out the major flakes. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, m-mman said:

I am guessing that you don’t spend much time on Facebook or Craigslist. And likely you haven’t tried to sell something on there lately. 

When you list something on Facebook marketplace the ad creates an easy reply window that can be used to contact the seller.  The default text in the reply window is “Is this still available?”   One click (you are already logged on) and a message with that exact text is sent to you.  

When you have an advertisement up you will typically receive 2-10 “Is this still available?” Every day! You respond saying that it is and that you are ready to discuss it more and do you have any questions and you will get no further contact from the supposedly interested party.  

Very aggravating!!!

It seems people just like clicking on the automatic reply button with no intention of making actual contact with you.  😡

A real waste of your time.  

Craigslist also has a reply feature but it takes a couple of clicks.  

Sometimes the “buyer’s” first contact is “I will give you $xxx”.  A number that is 1/4 or less of your asking price.  

The seller in this case is telling people that he is never going to waste even a moment with one of the automatic replies.  

When you REALLY want to connect with the seller you reply with a personalized message (that is obviously not AI) asking serious questions and asking about arranging a in person meeting. 
Then the seller will respond knowing that you are a real person who is actually interested.  

The seller is not being rude to a serious buyer, rather he is filtering out the major flakes. 

Bingo! Even when you place that in your ad the FB Marketplace trolls STILL send the canned AI message. 

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

After an ad has been posted for months, it's natural

for a buyer to ask whether the car is still for sale!

Because that response is commonly used by scammers to initiate contact. The seller will assume you are a bot, scammer, or not serious. I can't help it, that's how it is. Open up with something else, like try to arrange a meeting to look at it and possibly buy it. Also include real contact info. Typically you need to include your name and a real phone number in the first contact. Anything less than this will get you ignored. If your area code is far away, that's not good, but it might help to mention where you are. The above applies to Craigslist. I don't use Facebook, so can't say for sure what goes on over there. Since all the automotive activity that used to be on Craigslist migrated to Facebook, It's probably true there too.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Oh it gets better. That cracked section is leather.

OK - I was going to ask whether leather was an option for these.  I'm thinking that also explains the 'bunching' of material at the upper end of the side trim on the backrest (see below).

image.png.2f84291537c6777c95d4a84efd3822

In 64 the seat side panels and pleated inserts are vinyl or as Oldsmobile called it "Morocceen". The bolster panels on the cushions and backrests are leather.

As Jim says, 61-65 Starfire interiors were combinations of vinyl and leather. Olds had a habit of flipping which seat parts were what almost yearly.

• Thanks 1

OTOH there are lots of pics, including top up and top down, ( but windows up and down should also be included,) but OTOH descriptive text, while good to include provenance, is still lacking how it runs and drives. The ads are free. Anyhow, it's a good looking car in a good color combo. Price seems reasonable. Looks like a good find! 

• Like 1

I did some research on this one, since it looks pretty good in the pics and it's close to me.  It was a much more appropriate price when the seller (I assume) bought it last year and lots more true condition pictures are includedin the auction listing.  I'm sure he's done some work, but it needed a ton!

https://steffesgroup.com/lots/76bb6ab3-3c1b-4ad5-918d-fd6185a4dc2e

Screenshot_20240721_182915_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire Convertible - Not Red or White - Museum car 2011-2023 - Oak Creek, WI - Not Mine - 7/27 Reduced