For Sale: 1959 Pontiac Star Chief - "Excellent condition" - "Mostly original Sunset Glow paint, Beautiful original interior with Glitter Carpet" - Milford, MA - Not Mine - 7/2 Pending - 7/11 SOLD!

For sale on Craigslist: 1959 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door Sedan in Milford, MA  -  $24,500  -  Call Jeff: 508 498 57 eight nine

Link: https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/milford-1959-pontiac-star-chief-low/7761183068.html

Seller's Description:

1959 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door Sedan

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 37,050
  • paint color: custom
  • title status: clean

Gorgeous 1959 Pontiac Star Chief. 37,050 original miles. 389 with two barrel and Hydromatic. Power steering and brakes. Working am radio. Never any rust. Mostly original paint in Sunset Glow and it’s in great shape. Nice chrome and beautiful original interior. Has the glitter carpet. American Classic radial wide whites and stainless dual exhaust. Runs and drives as new. Lots of documentation. Original window sticker and bill of sale. Heads redone with hardened valve seats and motor rebuilt. Excellent original condition with a few little flaws. It’s 65 years old after all. Gets big attention! $24500.

image.png.10ca2980097c3a4463fa9e6faabc9b5b.png

image.png.f95067f754309e1f32d481e0c2021cf6.png

image.png.10604e60be175e3bd2795c027666c8ee.png

image.png.b79f2503b03612681f21b64159ff2a5a.png

image.png.f0754415ae91ded9e32346106512582b.png

image.png.e328f521685efe96acd3348668334125.png

image.png.a611bd5fb95f11d747480760f34a7416.png

image.png.66e28caf3cdd1ea4aa5496c5589f53b9.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Appears to be a very original old sedan priced rather optimistically despite it's condition. At first glance, I was overwhelmed by those fat whitewalls. All I could think of was Donald Duck:

image.jpeg.7aa4a24592cadc9cadad55fb6041afba.jpeg

1959 was too early for inch walls, but 2" white side walls would have been more appropriate:

Pontiac 1959

• Like 3

I really like this car. I like everything except the sheer length of it.  Not that it's a bad design, it just won't fit in the average garage or for that matter an average parking spot.  The color is quite unique, but it's very nice.  The originality of it makes all the more alluring to me.  The price might be high, but where are you going to find another one like it?

• Like 4

The color looks fantastic on this car, very bold IMO. I wish it was the four door hard top model with no post and the scenic back window. GLWTS

• Like 1

The "wide whites" really kill the visual proportions of this car, making it look much shorter.  The wrong size whitewalls, whether too narrow or too wide, can really handicap a car's presentation.  Too often, I see cars with an automatic $1200-$1500 add-on cost that will be required to make the car look right with the correct whitewalls.  Same for old trucks that never had whitewalls. 

That said, I do like this car. 

What type of fabric is on the seat bottoms and lower backs? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Appears to be a very original old sedan priced rather optimistically despite it's condition. At first glance, I was overwhelmed by those fat whitewalls. All I could think of was Donald Duck:

When I saw your pic of Donald, I thought you might be referring to the dealer who originally sold this car!

59Pontiac.png.ee1b48ff96d14f172a8c0d8114d72c43.png

This is a very impressive "time capsule" car, the beginning of "wide track wheels."  The price seems high, but I think you would find it difficult to find another in this condition.  I still have vivid memories of attending the GM Motorama in Boston in the fall of 1958.  The '59 models, across the board, were sensational!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This 1959 Pontiac is a very nice example but underneath the initial shock factor of the Sunset Glow paint and Lurex thread carpet (which all the premium 1958 & 1959 Pontiac models had) lies a 4-door sedan. If it were any other monotone color (say, black, white, silver, gold, green or blue) it would be just another $10K-$12K sedan and few people would be paying any attention to it. If I had $24K to spend on a collector car right now, I'd be looking at something a little sportier with two doors and fewer flaws. A few minor but noticeable ones are an incorrect outside mirror (should be the conical type the 59-62 Pontiacs used) and some small hood dents about a foot above the V crest on the front of the hood. I owned two 1959 Pontiacs in the past and something's definitely not stock about those wheels. The standard 14" wheelcovers are correct but they shouldn't extend to the very outside of the rim all the way to the whitewall rubber. I'm thinking the car might have some incorrect 15" chrome wheels with the 59 wheelcovers installed? Maybe that's what makes the wide whites more noticeable but who knows? It's a sharp looking car but I have to agree with those on this thread who have already commented that the price is optimistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

...underneath the initial shock factor of the Sunset Glow paint and Lurex thread carpet (which all the premium 1958 & 1959 Pontiac models had) lies a 4-door sedan. 

Here is a picture of a 2-door Bonneville which

I saved from the internet.  This example, in the 

Sunset Glow color, was for sale by a collector

at least 5 years ago, was in excellent restored

condition, and the asking price was $35,000.

It would be a much better buy than the current 4-door.

1959 Pontiac Bonneville coupe--sunset glow 1.JPG

1959 Pontiac Bonneville coupe--sunset glow 2.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I really like (and want) a '59 Pontiac and this one has a lot going for it, but as others point out, it's still a 4-door sedan.  The originality and color makes this one attractive.  I'd start worrying about my wallet if the listed price was $12 ~ $15K.  Our family had a light blue Catalina coupe that I remember vividly...

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Pontiac Star Chief - "Excellent condition" - "Mostly original Sunset Glow paint, Beautiful original interior with Glitter Carpet" - Milford, MA - Not Mine - 7/2 Pending - 7/11 SOLD!