Rear Floor Section -What is it off?

Could be anything. Also, I am guessing from your handle that you are in Australia? We had local body builders doing all sorts of cars and each with their own take on it. That being the case perhaps the global audience will fail to pin it down as it is purely an antipodean construct.

Steve

• Like 2

Not sure the size but it looks like the pan that goes under the back seat on wood framed bodied cars. I think I see nail holes in the edge.  No clue what car tho.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fordy said:

Could be anything. Also, I am guessing from your handle that you are in Australia? We had local body builders doing all sorts of cars and each with their own take on it. That being the case perhaps the global audience will fail to pin it down as it is purely an antipodean construct.

Steve

Thanks for adding a word to my vocabulary, 'antipodean'.

• Like 1

And it made me look up the etymology of the word. Even if I more or less know what a word means, I get curious about its history and origins. In this case "pod" from ancient Greek meaning "foot" (think "pedestrian" as a person that travels by foot although that history is a bit different). "Anti-" meaning "against" so "antipodean" literally meant foot against foot. Over the centuries it came to mean feet on opposite sides of the world, or something from the other side of the world.

There are so many interesting stories in history and all that goes along with it.

Sorry for the drift.

• Like 3

The Brits call us down near the south pole antipodean since a line from the UK straight thru the earth's core emerges again in the vicinity of Australia and New Zealand.

Now here is another for you - a pal calls my Hupps "antediluvian" basically saying they predate the biblical flood of Noah!

Are we perhaps better versed in the English language as we don't actually speak "American" although Hollywood dominates our screens and Coke satisfies our thirst?

(And our beers are way better than any watery substance that passes for it in the US)

Steve

I have no doubt that you and your countrymen speak better English than most of my countrymen. I think they stopped teaching actual English in this country about forty to fifty years ago. I think half the people under the age of forty in this country can barely put together a coherent sentence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have no doubt that you and your countrymen speak better English than most of my countrymen. I think they stopped teaching actual English in this country about forty to fifty years ago. I think half the people under the age of forty in this country can barely put together a coherent sentence.

Try visiting some of the small towns in out of the way places in Ireland - I was told they WERE speaking English but it was totally incoherent!

Steve

3 hours ago, Fordy said:

Try visiting some of the small towns in out of the way places in Ireland - I was told they WERE speaking English but it was totally incoherent!

Steve

Have you been to Scotland?

I worked in California 25 years ago and they could not put a sentence together when speaking. "You don't want no fingers"  or do you?

The floor pan looks to be from a well made car maybe from a 2 door sedan.

And in the States the one you often hear is 'antebellum', or 'before the war' (Civil War, 1860s), usually applied to the South, e.g., the 'antebellum South'.  When I was in high school they wanted us to learn Latin, a 'dead' language, but it shows up in much of our current vocabulary, often giving a clue as to the meaning of the word.

• Like 1

Vocabulary and dialect lesson has drifted away from the original question as to what this steel floor panel fits.....................

Perhaps it would be easier to determine the size of the car it may fit if we had a measurement on how wide it was. Maybe that would eliminate some narrower cars?

On 6/17/2024 at 2:44 AM, mercman from oz said:

Can anyone tell me what this rear floor sections is off?

It has to be the past that sits under the rear seat, as there is no tunnel for the tail shaft.

I believe that it is early Thirties? Can anyone help identify it?

_DSC0601.JPG

Assuming it's even from a car, I have no clue which one.  I'd guess both rear and front floor pans of many cars, early-30s and before, do not have driveshaft tunnels.  So this could be a front or rear pan.  It also could be the floor for a coupe or roadster trunk or rumble seat.  (And in a nod to this thread's linguistic discussion, the latter is a "dickie seat" in Oz-speak.)