Best Paint removal method?

I need to strip this dash, which has many layers of old paint. It's so curvy that I don't think dry scraping will work well.

What is the best method or product? It is steel....

Dash.jpg

Posted (edited)

What do you mean by dry scraping?

I'm sure some will say media or other blasting but stripper still works just as good as it always has. Just make sure you use it liberally and let it do it's job cooking.

Then ole fashioned elbow grease gets in all the valleys and in my opinion, you get used to seeing where the problem areas are that may need attention once its cleaned for hammer and dolly or primer. Obviously make sure you pull any hardware or cable knobs first. 

This was only about two hours worth of effort.

image.jpeg.4f75652d2e72cd245cb88df4b8928b34.jpeg

image.jpeg.27c5bbe297448731e875de601a7cc4ee.jpeg

image.png.7ab991604bbb822d84abc7bdbb7a5d4a.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are, or used to be, redi strip shops that were perfect for a job like that. If you are stuck in calif my guess is those shops were forced to close long ago. Good paint stripper likewise has been verboten and kaput for some time now.

twer it me i,d just sand blast. No fear of warpage ....bob

I think media blasting should be fine. If you dont have the settup finding a guy should be pretty easy, even a powder coat shop could strip it for you. If you want to save $$ and DIY, a combination of sandpaper and strippers. IF I had do that I would just get out my trusty electric ryobi random orbit sander. Get what I could with that. Then move on to my Milwaukee battery right angle die grinder with a variety of rolocs and go to town. I bet I could have that to bare metal in 2 hours or less. I have tried aircraft stripper and the such from HD but its just too messy. I have found that I can clean most stuff with the afforementioned power tools.

• Thanks 1

To me, the downside of using a stripper is that I have to be very careful to ensure that all the residual paint remover is removed. Otherwise, when I paint, I end up with a mess. I'd be interested to learn how those of you who use paint strippers guarantee a good surface for painting. 

Thanks.

pmh :

I'd be interested to learn how those of you who use paint strippers guarantee a good surface for painting. 

I blast it off with a high pressure water blaster while its still wet, never had a problem

With that dash out of the car, I'd start with chemical stripper AFTER removing the remaining knobs, bezels and miscellaneous hardware. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on what to use to clean off the strippers. Let it sit for a while after priming--maybe out in the sun--to see if there any "issues".

If you have a good, experienced sandblaster in your area, I'd go with that. I had almost every part on my car blasted with no issues, super clean and a good "tooth' for paint. 

• Like 1