An attractive affordable first Classic

A few years ago I started looking for an interesting first CCCA recognized Classic car.  I even started a thread here somewhat related to my research and thoughts for that first purchase.  The CCCA site has a car that I think would have interested me at that time.  I'm posting it here in case there is someone on the thread who wants to stick their toe in the water and buy their first (or second or third) CCCA car.... something that is a Classic and not your run of the mill "usual suspects".  The asking price is 26,000.  Not a bad price point to get into something that would be able to let the new owner enjoy some CCCA events.  I don't know the owner or the car, but thought I'd post this here.  

https://www.classiccarclub.org/vehicles/269/1933-nash-1180-advanced-8

image.png.45439f21f3a682ff9f24885bccc61237.png 

image.png.775a197c5fc5f447f5243b085f5467d0.png

image.png.25d2872d66f7164f939e21505da2d223.png

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Great car!   All you have to do is fix the wheels.

I have never driven one of these, I did read someone comparing them to some of the Auburn sedans of that era. It is a pretty handsome sedan, straight 8. Attractive dash and body lines. 

as you suggested AJ, a little less bling with the wheels and it could improve the looks…..but that could be done when time and money were available to the new owner.  Lots to love for a reasonable buy in. I think these big Nash models would draw lots of interest at a public gathering.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I dont understand.   Why care if today's car buffs call it a "classic"....?

The phrase "classic car" has long since evolved, to match where our culture is going.  True, there was a time when the phrase meant something, at least to those of us who were active in the earlier years of the  CLASSIC CAR CLUB OF AMERICA.   But that was then.

These days....EVERYTHING someone is trying to sell is "classic".  I just got back from the grocery store, where I was able to buy "classic shoelaces"....getting harder and harder to find anything someone is trying to unload, that they don't screech the word "classic" at it.

Point is...the car depicted looks like it is really a neat old car.   Performs and drives at least as well as any other well-maintained used car of that era's price range.    Will it drive as well as a properly maintained  Cadillac V-16, Packard or Pierce Twelve,  KB Lincoln, Dusie... etc?     Of course not.  But who cares?    If you like it...and it is something you can afford and know how to maintain, why not?   

And just look at where the used car hobby is headed......won't be more than a few months before my Toyota Camry will be an "antique classic"!    So forget what other people will call it - to me...looks like a really neat old car!

Edited by Packard enthus. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

John,

Thank you for sharing this car.  Over the past few years I have begun educating myself on the “classic” cars more or less as defined by the CCCA.  Threads in the AACA forum have been invaluable in every way possible.  I now have a decent understanding of what the CCCA thought defined a classic car.  I’ve made purchases I’m happy with and I’m looking forward to many years of fun enjoying those cars.   The purchase of their “first” CCCA classic is probably a story that many on this forum could share.  Regardless of whether they actually joined the CCCA…

• Like 2

This Nash 1080 is one of a group of late 1920's - early 1930's quality upper medium priced and entry-level luxury cars with 124"-131" wheelbases with six and eight cylinder engine displacements in the ~300-340 ci range that are overlooked because they aren't the mainstream popular Classics.  While generally factory bodies, the major designers were providing designs to these makers that was not only progressive but elegant.   One would do well to pursue one of these.  

• Like 5

We had a dual ignition Nash and it was fantastic to drive. Admittedly it was warmed over by Tom Lester and Dale Adams, but it was just a joy to drive. It's still local to me and the new owner says he'll never give it up he loves it so much. These are vastly under-rated and overlooked.

001.JPG.84b7f90fa66dea2ad6ce2407ada5b76d.JPG

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

We had a dual ignition Nash and it was fantastic to drive. Admittedly it was warmed over by Tom Lester and Dale Adams, but it was just a joy to drive. It's still local to me and the new owner says he'll never give it up he loves it so much. These are vastly under-rated and overlooked.

001.JPG.84b7f90fa66dea2ad6ce2407ada5b76d.JPG

I'm wishing I bought Tom Lester's Ambassador.

• Like 1

I bet some 70-75 years old's father was really happy to score those Pilot Rays around the time that car was about 35 years old.

Of course that's the way the hobby was headed at that time.

Bishop Bloom,  the above '33 Nash Advanced 8 is a terrific car; nine mains, ohv, twin-ignition.  We recall a magazine ad for such a Nash 8 when new trumpeting "to 80 miles an hour in three blocks."  That sounds ferocious, beyond even a Railton, so am probably misquoting.  But the point is, a good-looking, well engineered, well-made calash.  Ignore the above rubbish about its original price point or over the road comparisons with various more expensive, oft overrated, overhyped juggernauts by those feathering their nests and egos.   Leave the trunk in the garage, leave the Pilot Rays on for their novelty and enjoy a bargain, certainly if all the work well done.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:41 AM, John Bloom said:

... I did read someone comparing them to some of the Auburn sedans of that era. It is a pretty handsome sedan, straight 8. Attractive dash and body lines. 

That's not much of a comparison. The Nash stands up to Packards of the day.

• Like 1