Sign of the times

6 hours ago, zepher said:

Manual transmissions are a modern anti-theft device.

I think there is a bit of misconception with the idea that younger people cannot drive stick. My son is 30 and has a 6 speed and cant stand driving an automatic. We go to a cars n coffee and there are quite a bit of fellows in the 30 and under range. They are all driving manuals and mostly Japanese branded cars. Thats what younger people are into these days. Now, Maybe the 35-50 may be different. 

Posted (edited)

Yesterday in my neighborhood, a father was teaching his son how to drive a manual transmission….in a Porsche!  Must be nice 😊 

I briefly thought about letting him try in one of my pre-war cars. Then I came to my senses and thought..nah, let him grind the gears on that expensive modern Euro sports car 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I think there is a bit of misconception with the idea that younger people cannot drive stick. My son is 30 and has a 6 speed and cant stand driving an automatic. We go to a cars n coffee and there are quite a bit of fellows in the 30 and under range. They are all driving manuals and mostly Japanese branded cars. Thats what younger people are into these days. Now, Maybe the 35-50 may be different. 

Difference is your boy and his friends are car people. Yer average valet parking driver isn't.

IDK. I consider myself car people but put me in a new vehicle with a fingerprint reader start button or a rotary knob shifter and it's doubtful I'd ever get out of the parking lot!

Electronically controlled household appliances are no better. I want the oven and the washing machine to work simply, not have to program nuclear codes into it to cook dinner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with @rocketraider, the people that have tuner cars are a tiny sliver of the younger population.

On top of that, most manufacturers do not offer manual transmissions in quite a few of their offerings.

The ones that do almost never have a manual trans on their lot to test drive.  A friend of mine wanted a manual trans Subaru, he had to order it and waited 6 months for it to be delivered to the dealer.

And, I really agree with not liking that every modern appliance has to be connected to the internet and have an insanely complicated interface.

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Difference is your boy and his friends are car people. Yer average valet parking driver isn't.

IDK. I consider myself car people but put me in a new vehicle with a fingerprint reader start button or a rotary knob shifter and it's doubtful I'd ever get out of the parking lot!

Electronically controlled household appliances are no better. I want the oven and the washing machine to work simply, not have to program nuclear codes into it to cook dinner.

I rent cars often.  This past week it took a minute to realize that the start button was in fact a “twist knob” facing up on the console.  Change for the sake of change and being different.  Although perhaps the carjacker will have the same problem…

Posted (edited)

My biggest gripe is that almost all the new cars have interactive cruise control that automatically slows down when you come up behind other traffic moving slower.  Changing to an open lane allows car to speed up to the set speed.  If you aren’t paying attention you finally recognize that you are drifting along at 6 or 7 miles per hour below your set point 🙄

Edited by kar3516 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, zepher said:

I agree with @rocketraider, the people that have tuner cars are a tiny sliver of the younger population.

On top of that, most manufacturers do not offer manual transmissions in quite a few of their offerings.

The ones that do almost never have a manual trans on their lot to test drive.  A friend of mine wanted a manual trans Subaru, he had to order it and waited 6 months for it to be delivered to the dealer.

And, I really agree with not liking that every modern appliance has to be connected to the internet and have an insanely complicated interface.

We bought a new Subaru in 2016 and I tried to order one with manual windows and was laughed at.I taught my three year old grandson how to use the window crank in my old Buick.

• Like 1