Unrestored '51--to paint or not?

I have entered my '51 Special with 48,000 miles in the Archival Class at this year's BCA national meet in Ohio--hope to drive it all the way from Texas. It's never been restored except for a partial repaint of the roof, trunk lid, and the right rear quarter panel. Unfortunately, the repaint years ago has poor adhesion and is flaking off in several places and is quite unsightly. After taking the first photo (below) tonight, I realize how different the color shade is from the original paint.

Question to the group: Should I have the repainted portion stripped and redone, and try to get better adhesion and a better color match? Or just leave as-is? I really don't want to repaint the whole car. This thing is a gem--runs and drives like a brand new '51 Buick. One-family owned until 2019 and always garage-kept. I'm not one of those people who HAS to win a trophy, but I do like to support the meet and my favorite class--the unrestored, Archival class.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

The fact that you're asking the question tells me that you're hot happy with the car the way it is. Besides, it's only going to get worse. Do the partial repaint.

• Like 3

The meet that you want to take to,  gives you the incentive to go  get i t done,

and it will look  100%  better than before,  and when you return  from the meet

you will always be happy that you had it done,---with a trophy or with out a trophy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Should I have the repainted portion stripped and redone, and try to get better adhesion and a better color match?

10 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I really don't want to repaint the whole car.

I call that a 'sympathetic restoration' and think it's a good idea.  Hard to tell from the pictures, but condition of the rest of the paint seems too good to justify a complete repaint.  The ability to match the original color would probably drive my decision as to whether a complete repaint is warranted.

• Like 1

Pete,

You're going to get docked for the repaint anyway. May as well put some good paint on the bad spots. After all those spots are not original anyway. Good luck with the trip, see you at the meet.

Jim

• Like 2

Check with the larger used car dealers in your area and see if they have somebody that comes around to do cosmetic touch-ups with an air brush on their cars.  To touch-up areas like you have on the car, on their cars.  Getting the paint mixed exactly right and to get the metallic to lay down correctly would be the trick.  An exact color match can be influenced by how the metallic lays out, especially in bright sunlight.  That would help the overall look without a full repaint.  Just be careful with washing it to keep the rest of the paint intact.

The other alternative would be to scuff-sand the affected area and then color coat it with new paint.  That would uncover any other areas which are about to flake and then put new color (matched well) onto the car.  But the new metallic will tell on you, too.

The default mode would be to put some slick wax on it and drive it as is.  Enjoying the good "bones" of the car for what they are.  Then let "a future owner" worry about any repaint getting done.  As the only way to make the car look its best is with a full repaint.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467