1928 Willys knight 56, not mine.

Posted (edited)

It has been a little while since I have seen a car with one of those "Owl Lite" spot lights. If I recall correctly, they were manufactured in Oakland California, and were quite popular to put on midsize to large cars in the Western states. We used to see dozens of them for sale at swap meets, most of them incomplete after being removed from cars that were being junked. One of my best friends forty years ago had  1927 Buick Master sedan with one. I knew several people including Jack Passey had a few mid to late 1920s Lincolns with Owl Lites. I probably saw nearly a couple dozen different cars with them, a long time ago.

That silly thing itself makes me wish I had the money to spare, and could seriously consider this car.

Although, after looking at the rest of the photos, I would have to say "no thank you".

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

The 66 was an impressive car. I cannot help but wonder what damage may have been done "getting the engine to fire and run" Especially with a sleeve valve. I always picture at least one can of starter fluid which is fine for diesels but should be nowhere near any non-diesel. I also picture a quick check of the dipstick (if lucky) with no thought to all the decades of gunk and crap in the pan, oil pump and galleries. I would much prefer simply knowing it can be gently turned by hand and take my chances. Especially with all those wonderful rods bearings for the sleeves.

There was a really nice 66A on HCCA a few years ago that was around this price point if I recall correctly. Comparatively this one seems rather pricey.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s got a cool look to it, looks like a armored car. What it needs is a set of brand new shiny wide white walls.😂 could not help myself, I know someone on here just loves white walls on these cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

What is that small lamp at the front, driver side? Interesting to see the same shape as the head lamp, with unusual glass lens. Is this original equipment or accessory?

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JRA said:

What is that small lamp at the front, driver side?

I'd like to know that also. Thought it was the most interesting part of the car. 

Looking at the manifolds and exhaust pipes that are in that nice of condition I can't help but wonder if this is a low mileage car?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Added interior photos for the record.  This will be a challenging, expensive restoration.

Clearly, the interior has to be done. I think you have to hope the rest of the car cleans up and it runs without major mechanical work. Full restoration is out of the question.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Clearly, the interior has to be done. I think you have to hope the rest of the car cleans up and it runs without major mechanical work. Full restoration is out of the question.

A.J.:

I think that is the best we can hope for, some degree of preservation, an interior restoration to make it livable.  Were this an open body style, someone might take on a full restoration. 

How I knew this wasn't a Model 56 was one of those was handled by a local auction house a few years ago, oddly enough at the same time I had seen a Whippet Model 93A.  It was clear W-O was mixing and matching chassis and engines to broaden their model selection.

Steve

• Like 1

We see so many beat up, molested, high production, pieces of crap on here all the time. I love this because it has an unmolested feel to it, it is incredibly rare, it is cool, and it is cheap.

I can’t decide if I like this better, or the Elcar that was for sale

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, alsancle said:

We see so many beat up, molested, high production, pieces of crap on here all the time. I love this because it has an unmolested feel to it, it is incredibly rare, it is cool, and it is cheap.

I can’t decide if I like this better, or the Elcar that was for sale

Same here! I am usually not a fan of sedans but this one is really neat - just different enough. I would however pass the Owl light onto someone else. Might be a neat accessory but hate the look.  Totally agree on the big Elcar. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 5:14 PM, JRA said:

What is that small lamp at the front, driver side? Interesting to see the same shape as the head lamp, with unusual glass lens. Is this original equipment or accessory?

I'd also like to know...looks like it could be original....

• Like 2

So maybe there should be two and they performed the same function as cowl lights? Someone went to a lot of trouble to make the lens and reflector that odd shape. It would make more sense on a car who's name started with "C". 

Posted (edited)

Not so sure about two...   more pics online with one than two...   can't find a write-up about them...  the pic here has a complete clear lens vs. the black-out design.  I'm pretty sure the black design simply serves to shape (lessen and focus) the light (and is not any kind of 'brand' symbol).   

WKLightCapture4.JPG

Edited by classiclines
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have seen those lamps on a few WK automobiles, and in quite a few photos of cars. In most cases, there was only one of them on the car, so I suspect that was the usual treatment.  But I don't know their function or reason. Never bothered to ask any of the WK owners I have known. If anybody knows the story behind them, I sure would like to read about it.

• Like 1

Anyway, despite of its operational objective, it has caught our attention. Maybe it was part of an effective marketing strategy for product differentiation!

12 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have seen those lamps on a few WK automobiles, and in quite a few photos of cars. In most cases, there was only one of them on the car, so I suspect that was the usual treatment.  But I don't know their function or reason. Never bothered to ask any of the WK owners I have known. If anybody knows the story behind them, I sure would like to read about it.

Finally found the right brochure...    Describing the "Ditch Light" as a feature (or Advantage)...

WKLightCapture9.JPG

WKLightCapture8.JPG

WKLightCapture7.JPG

• Thanks 3

THANK YOU Classiclines for that! 

Only so many hours in a day, and with so many other things (fun or not?) I just do not have the time to search out things like this. I am always trying to learn more, and really appreciate this forum for the opportunity for all of us to share what we know or learn.

Again, thank you.

Great information and brochure!

• Like 1

Thank you! Based on the brochure explanation, certainly an invention from the Sales&Marketing Department!!