For Sale, '37 Packard 12 parts car or project, not mine

46 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Hmmm, I wonder if I could come out ahead putting that V12 into this:

001.JPG.c1823cb9fb7f795c4819c723a67c454a.JPG

I will only charge you a couple of micro brews to cut the roof off. A couple more beers and I will give it a rattle can paint job. I think you might be able to bring it in under budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

There is a dream here somewhere!

You can drive this while you build the V12?

Your right it will cost.    

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1165163154827349/

384536796_10224263972682174_3233384564486356756_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p720x720&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=vN1OE5hVMAMAb6p5fft&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfAEtCQwh6im2dQJxSC8qQlGMl4fHQ_f22xSv4-__mqJzg&oe=661D9C78

I was ready to hook the trailer to the truck, I even got past the paint trouble. Then I got to the interior shots.  A shame 

What should someone pay for this 1938 ?? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Terry Y said:

I was ready to hook the trailer to the truck, I even got past the paint trouble. Then I got to the interior shots.  A shame 

What should someone pay for this 1938 ?? 

It is the junior Packard with a 4 door convertible sedan body and an interior that makes you wonder what else has been screwed up.  The answer is not much.

6 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

So many beautiful designs. And most of the best ones come out of the 30’s.

The 1930s was the pinnacle of car design because you still had all these high end custom coachbuilders creating cool cars.   By 1940 they were all just about gone.    They were around in the teens and twenties but the designs followed function over form until about 1930.

• Like 4

My opinion. Much better to have a genuine eight cylinder convertible sedan than a similar fake twelve cylinder convertible sedan.

It is also better to have a genuine sedan than a fake roadster. 

That said, a chassis is just a chassis. Better to create something marginally impressive and fun than send the chassis off for scrap.

That said, I have been a long time fan of speedsters, I personally restored and extensively drove five model T speedsters over my years! There are great fun! Mine I made a serious effort to keep them as era correct as I could. Literally thousands of speedsters, model Ts and hundreds of other makes, were built during the speedster era. But the speedster era ended in the late 1920s. Custom roadsters of the 1930s are very different from what the speedsters in the speedster era were. And the custom roadsters of the 1930s were built in relatively small numbers.

I can very much appreciate a properly done custom roadster in the 1930s style. But building an earlier style speedster out of a later chassis never looks good.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.26b06f87eb456453399780cd3a78d86a.jpeg

Timeless beauty then and again and again now!

The Grabar example above is the 1930 Model J Duesenberg from which your 1938 Packard Geneva is said to have been derived.

The quote below is from an auction description and that Packard was reported to have sold for $1,760,000.

"This 1938 Packard, a 127-inch wheelbase “junior” Eight, is among the latter. It was bodied by Graber for the 1938 Geneva Auto Salon, and its body virtually duplicates, albeit to a smaller scale, one built for a Model J Duesenberg, number J-246. The body was ahead of its time, as the lines include sweeping French-inspired pontoon fenders with fully skirted rear wheels and a single tailfin dropping down the rear deck lid. The hood is covered in dozens of small louvers, and beautiful hints of chrome trim appear everywhere."

It's restoration was of the highest available anywhere!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Not sure we are on the original  topic any more so I would like to bring my part in this back around.

I do have an opinion on this shift in topic also. As follows.

Preservation over Restoration.

Restoration over Modification.

Modification over Destructions or Disintegration. 

A resurrection, recreation or new creation who's styling, and quality constructions was and is "the highest form of flattery".

In addition useful, maybe even a necessary contribution to the future in that it brings the opportunity for more people to appreciate the works of the original masters.

While rolling art is displayed on the Concourse show circuits, this beauty is rarely displayed at less prestigious shows or on the streets.

In 2011 I hobbled around on crutches at an overgrown swampy property to cut the thirty year growth away from and out of the very rough remains of a 1937 Packard V12 Club Sedan like this one. 

Engine, transmission, and most wood structure all gone. Likely used as a donor car for someone's open car in the distant past.

It did have a decent hood, salvageable welled front fenders etc. I had paid $700, worked long and hard, very hard to save what was left with a dream. Then not so smart sunk in.

When I posted it on Ebay it moved forward as a parts car to a very happy man that saved everything usable for his restoration.

My time and effort might have been better spent on any number of other endeavors but that one wasn't scrapped with the other cars around it.

The house, barn, and a large part of one man's car collection on the property was hauled  away in dumpsters and now a parking lot takes it's place.

There's a song here somewhere!

Still think my club sedan could have made an attractive one off Boattail recreation as would this one unless of course somebody wants to restore it...

Respectfully,

Steve 

• Like 1

yes.   We are way off topic.   I'm wondering if you have the expertise to build a decent speedster body you might have the ability to do the wood in the sedan?  The mechanics have to be done either way.  I would rather the club sedan with the double spares.  But that is just me.

If you look at the lead car you will see it is the Graber bodied Duesenberg being driven by a 90 year old guy that could probably beat most of us in a foot race.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do my best in humble facilities, on a limited budget, using mostly hand tools. 

More importantly to me I love these cars and what I do.    

Thanks for sharing the video, It's fantastic to see these automobiles cruising along at 65 on a public road.

A rare occurrence around here. 

Your amazing guy driving that Duesenberg at 90 years old WOW, is all I've got.

I feel blessed with so much less.  

Would love to see the faces of the drivers in those cars being passed on the right and passing on the left.