TOLLS and a dual axle trailer ,I am traveling from NY to Charlotte and Then to West coast of Florida , What do I need for a toll pass

So I am traveling from NY down to Charlotte with a dual axle open car trailer . I have EZ pass and Sun pass . With all of these un manned toll plazas What do I need to do for the trailer . Do I need a special toll pass . 

IMG_5680.jpg

I would suggest that you either take out the sun pass or the EZ pass when in Fla.  You do not want to be charged twice.  Which one is easier to remove and put in foil.  Just my thought.  My experience is when towing the trailer the toll station will detect the trailer and the number of axles when driving through.  

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 10:24 PM, CarNucopia said:

I have an Ipass, which is the same as an EZ pass. I’ve driven from Charlotte to Hershey with it and not had any problems. 

That is the same as I have, an I-Pass.  No annual fee and have driven it from Chicago to Maine, to NC and no issues.

23 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

That is the same as I have, an I-Pass.  No annual fee and have driven it from Chicago to Maine, to NC and no issues.

@Larry Schramm

I've had my Maryland EZ Pass, and it costs me $1.50/month if not used in Maryland. At $18/year it is not taking me to the poor house (yet), but what is I-Pass, and where do I get it?

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

@Larry Schramm

I've had my Maryland EZ Pass, and it costs me $1.50/month if not used in Maryland. At $18/year it is not taking me to the poor house (yet), but what is I-Pass, and where do I get it?

It's the Illinois Tollway version of the EZpass. https://getipass.com/

You can pick one up an an Oasis on the tollway if you're in Illinois. I'm not sure if they care you are out of state.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Marty,

Friends of mine that live in Maryland used to have the Maryland EZ Pass. When I told them what the annual fee was for my Pennsylvania EZ Pass they returned their MD EZ Pass and got a Pennsylvania one.  

It appears that the current annual fee for a PA EZ Pass is $3.00. That is what I paid last year for mine. There also appears to be a $10 deposit for the transponder.

https://www.ezpass.csc.paturnpike.com/ezpass/

Charlie

I have a NY EZ-Pass even though I'm now in TN.  As I recall I  paid something for the two units I have but the only cost is having to have up to $25 in my account for tolls.  When ever the account drops below $10 they charge my credit card to bring it back up to $25.  I can make any changes to what the plate numbers are that can use it online.  Doesn't get used very often anymore since most of the places in the South that I drive has no tolls. 

On 3/27/2024 at 7:34 PM, Jim Bollman said:

I have a NY EZ-Pass even though I'm now in TN.  As I recall I  paid something for the two units I have but the only cost is having to have up to $25 in my account for tolls.  When ever the account drops below $10 they charge my credit card to bring it back up to $25.  I can make any changes to what the plate numbers are that can use it online.

Now, as long as you link your EZ Pass account to a credit/debit card there's no monthly fee and you don't have to maintain the $25 account balance.  I have mine linked to my checking account and there's no activity until I drive through a toll plaza.  The toll charge usually posts to my checking account in 1 ~ 2 days.  It seems to work well and keeps me from paying the ridiculous 'Toll by Mail' charges.

Larry, I would recommend heading over to Scranton, PA and pick up I-81 and follow it to I-77 south of Ronoke, VA to Charlotte, then I-85 north to the Speedway.  No tolls on this part of the route.  An alternate route would be in Ronoke take US 220 to Greensboro, NC and then I-85 south to the speedway.  US 220 is about 15 minutes longer, but a very nice divided 4 lane US highway with a 55 mph speed limit..  I-77 in the last 40 miles to Charlotte is usually very heavy traffic, and easy to get stuck for hours if there is an accident.

• Like 1

To answer your question the toll facilities have axle counters. No need for anything special. As much as my thought being once your on I 81 in VA you will be on there forever I would most likely take that route as well. Its more of a direct route to Charlotte. 95 is full of tolls and MD will eat you alive with a 2 axle trailer! Once you get to VA I think the tolls subside though unless you're in hov lanes? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 10:14 PM, 61polara said:

Larry, I would recommend heading over to Scranton, PA and pick up I-81 and follow it to I-77 south of Ronoke, VA to Charlotte, then I-85 north to the Speedway.  No tolls on this part of the route.  An alternate route would be in Ronoke take US 220 to Greensboro, NC and then I-85 south to the speedway.  US 220 is about 15 minutes longer, but a very nice divided 4 lane US highway with a 55 mph speed limit..  I-77 in the last 40 miles to Charlotte is usually very heavy traffic, and easy to get stuck for hours if there is an accident.

Dave I forgot to say thank you , this was the route we took and it was perfect , 

• Like 1

So to help out others what I did find out is that NC offers a toll pass for non commercial use that you just purchase a tag for how many axles you have. In my case it would of been 4 axles and its accepted on all the east coast toll systems