Need someone to braid cloth covering on wire

I am in need of high strand, very flexible red cloth covered 14 gauge, single conductor wire - 50 to 100 feet. I've bought cloth covered wire from several sources, but none have the flexibility I'd like. The wire I like to use is shown in this Amazon link. I've reached out to several providers of vintage cloth covered wire asking if they would braid the covering on this wire for me, but none are willing to do it. Does anybody have a contact or friend with the braiding machine who would be willing to do this? Or, the outside chance of a source for this wire already covered?

Thanks - Steve

BNTECHGO 14 Gauge Silicone Wire Spool red and Black Each 40ft Flexible 14 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire - Amazon.com

Rhode Island Wiring Service    or    YnZ Yesterdays Parts.  These companies make reproduction wiring harness for old cars with cloth covered wire. If they can't do it they may be able to point you in the right direction. 

I don't know if you would want to try this or not? But it has worked very well for me for shorter lengths (up to about thirty feet). 

I didn't like the cloth covered wire I could buy. Most of it was a gauge or two too light (engineering background) for the higher current six volt systems I wanted it for. I also wanted greater flexibility than some of what was available. 

So I found plastic covered wire that met my demands (modern plastic jacketing is thinner than the old cloth covered rubber was). Then I went to the local Army/Navy store, and bought about a hundred feet of parachute line in a variety of colors. It is a silken tube with five strands of silk string inside it, and it comes in a dozen different colors. I pulled back the outer tube, tied the five strings to a fixed object, and slowly started sliding the outer covering off of the strings. I had to work it slowly, as it would bunch up as I went. It didn't take long at all, and I had a pile of silk strings and a good long silken tube.

Then came the hard part. An important point is to smooth and blunt the end of the wire (the multi strand wire ends really like to hang up inside the silken tube). A small flame, lighter or candle maybe? Make a clean cut of the end, then heat the plastic enough so that using your fingers stretch it out over the wire's ends, then burn the plastic to close it off to a taper and round the end. Then, literally foot by foot, slide the silken tube over the wire. It should be a bit loose.

I did find that for short lengths, I could manage to separate four inner strings and leave one inside to use as a pull string which made getting the silken tube pulled over the wire easier. The time or two I tried to use one of the five inner strings as a pull alongside the other four, I found they bunched up a bit and didn't help much at all. Part of the problem is that the silken tube is tight enough on the wire that attaching one of the strings to the wire is difficult without making it too large to slide through.

I did several pieces around twenty to thirty feet long, and found working the wire through inch by inch didn't really take long at all. A lot of what I did was figure the length I needed, and cut the wire and silken tube about a foot too long. Then cover and finish the wire, then fit and install, wasting about a foot (better than being an inch too short!).

After the silken tube has been stuffed with the wire. Secure one end together (I used electrical tape), and tie it to something. Then pull the silken tube snugly the full length, securing the other end. Next, to finish it off, paint the entire length with a heavy coat of shellac. If you use Amber shellac, it will darken the color of the silken tubes, which actually made them look more correct for an antique automobile.

That was how I rewired a few of my antique automobiles.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m missing something here.

I tried the Amazon.com link you posted, and sure enough, they have rolls of 14 AWG, red braided copper wire, exactly as you said you are looking for.

It is true that “the things you are looking for are usually found in the last place you look”.

This being the case, why wasn’t Amazon the last place you looked, and bought all the wire you need from them?

Jack

Very flexible wire is commonly called Test Lead wire. However, 14 AWG is rare. Usually 18 AWG neighborhood.

Of course, it does not come with a fabric cover, that is what the OP is looking for. I know Brillerman has the machines (or did) to braid modern wire. Whether they can be talked into braiding your wire is the question.

https://brillman.com/wire-harnesses/

Marine wire is tinned also. You might try looking in that direction. I have done something similar but I stripped the cloth from other vintage wire and then inched it over marine wire like Wayne mentioned above. I like using tinned wire because it doesn’t corrode as plain copper does.

Wayne Elsworth

Thanks for all the replys. The wire on the Amazon link is not cloth covered, but otherwise exactly what I need. I have reached out to 8 different vintage wire related businesses, all have declined to cover the wire - except one. I got reply last night that was positive. I'll call him today to discuss it.  

I restore 1929 - 1953 Ford 6 volt generators. On some, the red power wire goes out of the generator to the cutout. Because this is visible, it needs to be cloth covered. The wire I currently use is a bit stiff. Internally it attaches to a spring loaded brush holder. The stiffness can occaisionally cause problems with the brush spring tension. On other generators, the wires are all internal. Those I dont need cloth covered wire for. 

Sorry for being long winded, but wanted to explain my need.  Here is an example generator.

20240120_144311_copy_820x1075.jpg

• Like 4

I mentioned tinned marine wire above. I forgot to say that marine wire has greater number of copper strands which makes the wire more flexible to help overcome the vibrations of a boat. I’ll see if I can find a link to a company I used when restoring my 1956 FeadShip back in 1995. If I find it, I’ll PM it to you.

Wayne

In a quick Google search, I found many sources for marine wire which is tinned and has many more strands per gauge. I also found sources for cloth covering on Amazon. If you don’t find the color you want, you might ask Rhode Island Wiring if they would sell you just the covering. They have lots!

IMG_3913.png

• Like 1

After seeing the picture of the generator, Rhode Island Wire has exactly what you need on the shelf.  I find the wire is pretty flexible.  I buy all my wiring needs from them.  They also offer a braiding service.  I have used them for braiding after I made up the harness. Good luck   Jim

• Like 1

Generator wire, makes sense.

I was wondering why you would need 14 AWG for a points wire. Points wire needs to be flexible since something moves on vacuum advance action, that moves the wire. I use Test Lead wire for that, 16 or 17 AWG. 

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

If only short pieces are needed, say less than a couple of feet, shoe laces are the same weave and can be used. You can work it open or more closed to cover a (small) range of required diameters.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 2:02 PM, Ndnchf said:

I am in need of high strand, very flexible red cloth covered 14 gauge, single conductor wire - 50 to 100 feet. I've bought cloth covered wire from several sources, but none have the flexibility I'd like. The wire I like to use is shown in this Amazon link. I've reached out to several providers of vintage cloth covered wire asking if they would braid the covering on this wire for me, but none are willing to do it. Does anybody have a contact or friend with the braiding machine who would be willing to do this? Or, the outside chance of a source for this wire already covered?

Thanks - Steve

BNTECHGO 14 Gauge Silicone Wire Spool red and Black Each 40ft Flexible 14 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire - Amazon.com

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/

• Like 1

I restore antique lamps and deal with a few companies that might have what you are looking for. First is Sundial Wire and the next is Vintage Wire and Supply. Both have cloth covered wire in many sizes.

3 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I restore antique lamps and deal with a few companies that might have what you are looking for. First is Sundial Wire and the next is Vintage Wire and Supply. Both have cloth covered wire in many sizes.

Thanks, but I asked them both already - no joy. But Im working with one now that is promising.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:47 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I don't know if you would want to try this or not? But it has worked very well for me for shorter lengths (up to about thirty feet). 

I didn't like the cloth covered wire I could buy. Most of it was a gauge or two too light (engineering background) for the higher current six volt systems I wanted it for. I also wanted greater flexibility than some of what was available. 

So I found plastic covered wire that met my demands (modern plastic jacketing is thinner than the old cloth covered rubber was). Then I went to the local Army/Navy store, and bought about a hundred feet of parachute line in a variety of colors. It is a silken tube with five strands of silk string inside it, and it comes in a dozen different colors. I pulled back the outer tube, tied the five strings to a fixed object, and slowly started sliding the outer covering off of the strings. I had to work it slowly, as it would bunch up as I went. It didn't take long at all, and I had a pile of silk strings and a good long silken tube.

Then came the hard part. An important point is to smooth and blunt the end of the wire (the multi strand wire ends really like to hang up inside the silken tube). A small flame, lighter or candle maybe? Make a clean cut of the end, then heat the plastic enough so that using your fingers stretch it out over the wire's ends, then burn the plastic to close it off to a taper and round the end. Then, literally foot by foot, slide the silken tube over the wire. It should be a bit loose.

I did find that for short lengths, I could manage to separate four inner strings and leave one inside to use as a pull string which made getting the silken tube pulled over the wire easier. The time or two I tried to use one of the five inner strings as a pull alongside the other four, I found they bunched up a bit and didn't help much at all. Part of the problem is that the silken tube is tight enough on the wire that attaching one of the strings to the wire is difficult without making it too large to slide through.

I did several pieces around twenty to thirty feet long, and found working the wire through inch by inch didn't really take long at all. A lot of what I did was figure the length I needed, and cut the wire and silken tube about a foot too long. Then cover and finish the wire, then fit and install, wasting about a foot (better than being an inch too short!).

After the silken tube has been stuffed with the wire. Secure one end together (I used electrical tape), and tie it to something. Then pull the silken tube snugly the full length, securing the other end. Next, to finish it off, paint the entire length with a heavy coat of shellac. If you use Amber shellac, it will darken the color of the silken tubes, which actually made them look more correct for an antique automobile.

That was how I rewired a few of my antique automobiles.

That is brilliant!

• Like 1