My new (to me) 1965 Riviera Gran Sport

cjp69

I purchased it two weeks ago from a gentleman in Evansville IN and it arrived Saturday.  Shout out to Cristina at Uberhaul transport for getting it picked up and delivered to me so quickly! 

Purchased from the 3rd owner, he owned it since 1990 and finished restoring it around 2000.  He has only driven it a couple of thousand miles since then.  He knew the 2nd owner, who purchased it in 71, and I have paperwork going back to the 70's.  It has been in the Evansville area its entire life (until now).  Needs a fair amount of deferred maintenance, heavy duty detailing and tlc from spending so much time sitting around.  But that is the fun part, right?  I am also thinking maybe some red line tires as well (even though they weren't available until 66, but I think they look great on black cars).

Super loaded with nearly all options, including power vent windows, cruise, rear seat arm rest, etc.   Factory triple black, numbers matching engine and carbs, haven't had a chance to check the distributor or transmission.  Needs a full tune up badly, hasn't been done since the engine was rebuilt during the restoration. 

Haven't had a chance to drive it any further than from the delivery truck to the storage building due to weather. 

More pics as I continue my clean up. 

IMG_9518b.jpg

IMG_9517a.jpg

IMG_9516a.jpg

IMG_9525a.jpg

IMG_9520a.jpg

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Very very nice! Congrats!

Ditto. You scored the "Holy Grail"!

Two 1st Gen Rivieras with vinyl tops. What's the chance of that?

And yes, detailing is the fun part.

• Like 2

Here’s a tire option for the 1965 Riviera.  This picture is of Gord Wolfgang’s 1965 triple black 1965.

IMG_1808.jpeg.cc1283faa1edd381d4ff07b92dcc54f7.jpeg

The following quote comes from Tom Mooney in an old post here on this forum.

Blackwall tires were standard equipment. Optional and correct whitewall tires for the `65 were/are 8:45 X 15 triple stripe white walls.”

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Here’s a tire option for the 1965 Riviera.  This picture is of Gord Wolfgang’s 1965 triple black 1965.

IMG_1808.jpeg.cc1283faa1edd381d4ff07b92dcc54f7.jpeg

The following quote comes from Tom Mooney in an old post here on this forum.

Blackwall tires were standard equipment. Optional and correct whitewall tires for the `65 were/are 8:45 X 15 triple stripe white walls.”

I know those are the correct tires, and I will probably buy them for my red Riv when the time comes for new ones. Do you have a picture of the entire car?  I would like to see how they look on a black car.  I have seen the one stripe white walls and the red lines on dark cars, and I really like the red lines. 

ajesh Riv.jpg

alex Riv.jpg

Smalley Riv.jpg

You say it needs detailed, but that car looks pretty awesome to me like it sits! I agree about the redlines; I think they would look sharp. Thinking about doing the same on my white 65 when the time comes, but not sure

how they would look on a white car with a black vinyl top.

• Like 1

You asked if I have a picture of the entire car. The answer is “sorry, no,”. Since I took the picture of the tire for a reference for my own ‘65 (since sold) Gord has sold this car and moved to Florida.  It was used on the T-shirt for one of the ROA meets however.  I do no know if Gord ever did a write up on it for the Riview.  Perhaps if you search this forum, you can find other pictures. I know that the brochures for the 1965 Riviera feature cars with these 3 ring whitewalls.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Another thing that is outstanding about Gord’s car is that it has the standard interior but with all the other bells and whistles. 

So, able to source a complete interior from Clarks Corvair then😉

I know Gord sold it. Any idea where or who owns it today?

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

So, able to source a complete interior from Clarks Corvair then😉

I know Gord sold it. Any idea where or who owns it today?

I don’t know about the interior, could have been original.

I know nothing about the sale of the car either.  Sorry.

7 hours ago, jframe said:

You say it needs detailed, but that car looks pretty awesome to me like it sits! I agree about the redlines; I think they would look sharp. Thinking about doing the same on my white 65 when the time comes, but not sure

how they would look on a white car with a black vinyl top.

Well, those pics are after the first weekend of cleaning, not before.  Here is an example of a before and after, that pretty much applies to all of the interior.  You can't see the large pile of 0000 steel wool in the picture.  :>)

And also an engine picture. 

IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

8 hours ago, Craig Balzer said:

Don't remember where I found this photo (not a Gran Sport but WTH), but provides a bit closer look at the tires

image.jpeg.5c8205a5e0a39d6bfaf67f9d5e4a73b6.jpeg

I think that is Gord’s car.  You can see the door panel and the seat pattern which identifies it as a standard interior and what appears to be Gord’s compass mounted on the mirror with a suction cup. ??? As well as the BCA sticker in the right rear 1/4 window.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Install an open breather on the driver's side valve cover. The PCV cannot ventilate the crankcase without a source of fresh air.

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom.  Do you happen to have one I can buy?

Thanks, Chris