Diving helmet on a Model A

John E. Guitar

2 hours ago, jdome said:

She looks like she's holding on for dear life !!!!

Yea, but it doesn't look like she's worried about it. But, without a windshield, she's gonna get bugs all over them pretty teeth!!

After viewing this photo repeatedly and as a Buick guy I have to point out the beautiful 1937 convertible coupe with a boy and a girl. The girl is awfully snuggly with the boy unless she is sitting in the rumble seat. 

• Like 2

I think it's a totally staged photo. It looks like it was set up just for the photo. Look at the radiator cover/grille closely. It looks like you can see through the grille and there is no radiator behind it. And of course, they are all looking to someone off to their left and not to the camera. Also no windshield yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hook said:

I think it's a totally staged photo. It looks like it was set up just for the photo. Look at the radiator cover/grille closely. It looks like you can see through the grille and there is no radiator behind it. And of course, they are all looking to someone off to their left and not to the camera. Also no windshield yet.

It's a photo taken for Life magazine by Nina Leen. The description is "Teenage boys and girl, happily riding in "hopped-up" convertible car with exposed engine (newly built car from Ford Model A and T parts) along palm tree-lined street."

https://www.life.com/arts-entertainment/photographer-spotlight-nina-leen/

A few more of her automotive photos:

Group of teenagers pushing an old car.

image.png.6f5a0f5a9d9410e5d81d295d9b0f72ee.png

Teenaged boys, who are junior members of the Molesters Club (as indicated by large "M"s sewn on the seats of their pants) leaning into the engine area of Richard Burns' 1927 Ford Model T jalopy named "Tooty".

image.png.fa8c75978ddc3ee435cd92571250b5e5.png

Teenaged boys, who are junior members of the Molesters Club (as indicated by large "M"s sewn on the seats of their pants) rather than using a jack, simply lift the car so that the one pulling on tire can change it.

image.png.9abfcce8b3e80f7260f5b8e6163c1158.png

Teenage Boys Desmoines, Iowa

image.png.7f41789fc69ecb5f29d34bfc76ff613d.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

Teenage Boys Desmoines, Iowa

"They're all growed up now!"

mechanics.jpg.ed093e859d6daf8ae0cbf0c4371135f8.jpg

Ever see a picture that you hope was staged but just get that funny feeling...

• Haha 3

On 3/2/2024 at 6:18 AM, hook said:

I don't think you can see through the grille,  it looks like the paint is chipped off the grille teeth which gives the illusion that you can see light through it.   No rods from the firewall to radiator but they may not have needed them depending on how they mounted the shell/ radiator.  Atleast early on.  Maybe they weren't to last 20 percent yet of fine tuning everything yet and adding stuff like that.   A trip around the block might not have required a windshield either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I don't think you can see through the grille,  it looks like the paint is chipped off the grille teeth which gives the illusion that you can see light through it.   No rods from the firewall to radiator but they may not have needed them depending on how they mounted the shell/ radiator.  Atleast early on.  Maybe they weren't to last 20 percent yet of fine tuning everything yet and adding stuff like that.   A trip around the block might not have required a windshield either.

That's an interesting theory and if true why would the light or white color be showing on the spaces and not the grille bars. Granted the white might be on the radiator behind it but it would not be a model A or B radiator. Then there's gasoline. Notice the fuel line height is at a level of the top 3 gallons of gas if their using the 28/29 gas tank and expecting the gravity feed to handle it. Of course, they could have an electric fuel pump but, seeing these hot rods were usually done on a shoestring and parts available, I doubt it. Also, if the chokes were open, you would see the butterfly plates and you don't.

Dual drown drafts they would need a fuel pump.  Being it's got an Overhead conversion, dual carbs and a unique distributor set up and it looks like it is together enough to run.   Notice the resistance wire on the firewall,  fuel lines hooked up and looks like linkage might be as well as other wiring above the steering box,  I think you are not giving the kids enough credit.  Remember kids like this turned out to be the engineers that designed the cars as well as the ones that went on to work at NASA.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, Pete O said:

What, two guys and one gal? 😁

You only get two girls for every boy when you're going to Surf City.  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Dual drown drafts they would need a fuel pump.  Being it's got an Overhead conversion, dual carbs and a unique distributor set up and it looks like it is together enough to run.   Notice the resistance wire on the firewall,  fuel lines hooked up and looks like linkage might be as well as other wiring above the steering box,  I think you are not giving the kids enough credit.  Remember kids like this turned out to be the engineers that designed the cars as well as the ones that went on to work at NASA.

I'm not saying they won't get it there, I'm saying it's not there yet. By the way I'm an old fart that did work on the space program.

3 hours ago, hook said:

I'm not saying they won't get it there, I'm saying it's not there yet. By the way I'm an old fart that did work on the space program.

That statement may be deeper than it appears. I am an old fart that had to help get NASA's stuff out of the ocean.

My antenna sprouting ship in the background. That's Apollo 8.

270004753_10222935523230690_5454373262181568765_n.jpg.2a0b401e476503c2ed0ec8e5667fe429.jpg

• Like 1