1947 Dodge 3 Window Coupe $3950

Most of us like these Mopar 42-48 3 window cars because they are different.  If I had a chance to buy one, I prefer the Chrysler Windsor 6 cyl and grille, the New Yorker is the most desirable but that 8 cyl is expensive to rebuild and parts are harder to get. 

Now, this one obviously needs a seat, appears to missing door panels and carpet.  Needs pretty much a complete restoration. While all restorations are expensive and economically unfeasible, perhaps this one costs a few bucks less, given it's Dodge 6 cylinder status and failrly low chromage.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Most of us like these Mopar 42-48 3 window cars because they are different.  If I had a chance to buy one, I prefer the Chrysler Windsor 6 cyl and grille, the New Yorker is the most desirable but that 8 cyl is expensive to rebuild and parts are harder to get. 

Now, this one obviously needs a seat, appears to missing door panels and carpet.  Needs pretty much a complete restoration. While all restorations are expensive and economically unfeasible, perhaps this one costs a few bucks less, given it's Dodge 6 cylinder status and failrly low chromage.  

The eight cylinder cars are made of a unobtainium.  I have seen two of the big New Yorkers for sale in the last 20 years. They just don’t seem to exist.

• Like 1

Body might be more solid than most but this coupe has had a hard life. Still a major moneypit restoration project. Needs a complete interior and a lot of body work with all those bumps & bruises. Says cruise as is but I don't think it's safe to drive with all the broken glass. IMO it's more of a curse as is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

Body might be more solid than most but this coupe has had a hard life. Still a major moneypit restoration project. Needs a complete interior and a lot of body work with all those bumps & bruises. Says cruise as is but I don't think it's safe to drive with all the broken glass. IMO it's more of a curse as is. 

No , no cruising as is, and yes I agree that the New Yorkers are too rare, unless someone else has restored it.  I don't know, but I like the Dodge front end more than the Plymouth, a bit less than the Chrysler Windsor.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The eight cylinder cars are made of a unobtainium.  I have seen two of the big New Yorkers for sale in the last 20 years. They just don’t seem to exist.

I believe they only made 699 New Yorker business coupes from 1946-1948.  I had a friend about 40 years ago who loved them and had two of them.  They are almost a "cartoon car" with that long wheelbase, huge trunk, and single bench seat.  Certainly the ultimate 40's three window coupe, but difficult to find, as you say.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, neil morse said:

I believe they only made 699 New Yorker business coupes from 1946-1948.  I had a friend about 40 years ago who loved them and had two of them.  They are almost a "cartoon car" with that long wheelbase, huge trunk, and single bench seat.  Certainly the ultimate 40's three window coupe, but difficult to find, as you say.

The one I want is the 41.   They are better proportioned than the postwar cars.

1941ChryslerImperialBusinessCoupe.jpg

• Like 4

They made 3600 Saratoga business coupes and 3635 New Yorker business coupes in 1941. Both those models had 8 cylinder engines.

I'm surprised by those numbers.  Given that they don't exist I would have guessed in the 100s was more likely.

907CD61A-C5C2-4690-A4FA-50C7A01B47AC.jpeg.b17ab10c527361d9365692d1601f98c1.jpeg005FDB6A-FD16-44CB-98B2-D9347002DC91.jpeg.6800702e929283f53df61bee38250644.jpegHere is my 41.  AJ has seen this one.  14000 original miles super nice I am lucky to have it.  I also question those production numbers I remember looking but can’t remember exactly but more like a couple hundred is what I remember.  

• Like 8

That number may have been all body types.  

• Like 1

MY PRODUCTION NUMBERS FOR 1941 8 CYLINDER BUSINESS COUPES LISTED ABOVE ARE INCORRECT! After further review, my source shows there were a total of 771 Saratoga and New Yorker business coupes combined produced in 1941. I don't have any further breakdowns. Sorry for the wrong information. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The 55er said:

MY PRODUCTION NUMBERS FOR 1941 8 CYLINDER BUSINESS COUPES LISTED ABOVE ARE INCORRECT! After further review, my source shows there were a total of 771 Saratoga and New Yorker business coupes combined produced in 1941. I don't have any further breakdowns. Sorry for the wrong information. 

It's OK.  So, I used to have a rule of 10%.   It's non scientific, but was based on some research some of us car guys did about 30 years ago.  We figured that 25% of the cars production, whatever car, was gone in the 1st 4 years.  This being a pre war model right at the war, maybe the survival rate was higher initially. So let's say 6 years for this 1941 model, since some were bound to be traded in post WW2. 

771 x .75 = 578 cars left in 1947.   After this initial period, another 25% gone in the next 5 years, in other words, roughly 50% of the cars production gone in 10 years, more or less, with 10% per decade after that until it reaches collector status.  

That would have 386 of these left in both series at about 1951.  The 50's were the era of planned obsolescence.  I have 347 by 1960, 312 by 1970, and about 280 by 1980.  By the late 70's these would be considered collectible I would think, but remember - this includes ALL cars including those in ravines, junk yards, backyards, etc.  

We were in a statistics class, and using data from national records. Remember the old ads touting 75% of all Chevy trucks are still on the road, or similar claims.   Today it is hard to imagine that perhaps 50 of these Business Coupes exist from 1941, but I would say the number would be 50-100.  

That  makes a lot more sense. I’ll bet the split is 70/30 Saratoga to New Yorker.

42 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

It's OK.  So, I used to have a rule of 10%.   It's non scientific, but was based on some research some of us car guys did about 30 years ago.  We figured that 25% of the cars production, whatever car, was gone in the 1st 4 years.  This being a pre war model right at the war, maybe the survival rate was higher initially. So let's say 6 years for this 1941 model, since some were bound to be traded in post WW2. 

771 x .75 = 578 cars left in 1947.   After this initial period, another 25% gone in the next 5 years, in other words, roughly 50% of the cars production gone in 10 years, more or less, with 10% per decade after that until it reaches collector status.  

That would have 386 of these left in both series at about 1951.  The 50's were the era of planned obsolescence.  I have 347 by 1960, 312 by 1970, and about 280 by 1980.  By the late 70's these would be considered collectible I would think, but remember - this includes ALL cars including those in ravines, junk yards, backyards, etc.  

We were in a statistics class, and using data from national records. Remember the old ads touting 75% of all Chevy trucks are still on the road, or similar claims.   Today it is hard to imagine that perhaps 50 of these Business Coupes exist from 1941, but I would say the number would be 50-100.  

I’m willing to bet there’s only a dozen or so New Yorkers, maybe twice as many of the Saratoga. They just don’t exist.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'm surprised by those numbers.  Given that they don't exist I would have guessed in the 100s was more likely.

A.J.:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by B. R. Kimes and H. A. Clark states the combined total only for the eight-cylinder 1941 Chrysler Saratoga, New Yorker and New Yorker Highlander 3-passenger coupes as 771 built.  The 1942 Saratoga: 80; New Yorker: 158, unobtainium, indeed!   

Steve

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by B. R. Kimes and H. A. Clark states the combined total only for the eight-cylinder 1941 Chrysler Saratoga, New Yorker and New Yorker Highlander 3-passenger coupes as 771 built.  The 1942 Saratoga: 80; New Yorker: 158, unobtainium, indeed!   

Steve

That jives with what I have seen.  I keep track of both the Saratoga and the New Yorker and they just don't show up.  Ever.    You will see the occasional Royal but that is the 6 banger.

I could have bought the New Yorker I posted previously but now refuse to buy projects because I'm sober.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That jives with what I have seen.  I keep track of both the Saratoga and the New Yorker and they just don't show up.  Ever.    You will see the occasional Royal but that is the 6 banger.

I could have bought the New Yorker I posted previously but now refuse to buy projects because I'm sober.

A.J.:

As much as I hate to admit this, I have never encountered either pre-war Saratoga or New Yorker business coupes in any junkyard we tramped through years ago when pre-war cars were still common there or even at subsequent old car flea markets.  And never even a postwar example of either 8-cylinder model, but plenty of six-cylinder Mopar 3-window coupe.  There were the rough remnants of a 1941 DeSoto 3-window coupe in a junkyard in the late 1980's here in Western New York with a 1955 license plate still on it.  You can imagine what was left of it.

Steve 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.:

As much as I hate to admit this, I have never encountered either pre-war Saratoga or New Yorker business coupes in any junkyard we tramped through years ago when pre-war cars were still common there or even at subsequent old car flea markets.  And never even a postwar example of either 8-cylinder model, but plenty of six-cylinder Mopar 3-window coupe.  There were the rough remnants of a 1941 DeSoto 3-window coupe in a junkyard in the late 1980's here in Western New York with a 1955 license plate still on it.  You can imagine what was left of it.

Steve 

Steve, I like the 41 Desoto 3 window and that was what got be going on the business coupe quest.  A 42 would be the jewel but I think there may be 3 of them.  For Chrysler I prefer the 41.

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve, I like the 41 Desoto 3 window and that was what got be going on the business coupe quest.  A 42 would be the jewel but I think there may be 3 of them.  For Chrysler I prefer the 41.

A.J.: 

I can still see in my mind's eye what '41 DeSoto 3-window coupe looked like.  It was that light gray, half-covered with wild grapevines, floors gone, replaced with woodchuck holes and dirt filling the floor space, rags of interior, rust everywhere.  A few of the grille teeth missing.  Poor thing, the crusher was a mercy for it.   If ever any '41 8-cylinder pops up to me, you are the first call...keep your fingers crossed.

Steve 

8 hours ago, edk said:

14000 original miles super nice I am lucky to have it.

Wow, what a spectacular automobile!  I can't get over how nice the interior is with all of that irreplaceable dash plastic in such great shape.  I agree, you are a lucky man!

• Like 1

I couldnt get the link to open but it looks like a pretty complete solid car. Even if it needs a total motor rebuild you wouldnt have too much into it. At the local shows I go to I am seeing more of these type of cars (worn paint, cobbled interiors) with younger guys and gals. I think the appreciation for an old car is there, the desire to enjoy it now outgains the 'lets spend a lot of time and money on a restoration'. All in all it seems like a good deal for an old car.

• Like 2