New Member Looking for help Iding wheels

K13

Hi all. I am a new member here who recently picked up a 1963 Riviera. I am looking to put a set of rally wheels on it ,currently has stock wheels with wire hubcaps. I have been through numerous threads on the site about the rally wheel identifications but still have questions about a set of wheels for sale near me. I unfortunately don't have a lot of information other than the seller claims they have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and are Buick. He also has a couple of not great pictures that leave me wondering what they actually are.

The wheels are 3 hours away so not something I can easily go by to take a quick look at so was hoping someone here could at least give me an idea of what they are. My hesitation is they look really shallow  from the front compared to other rally wheels I have seen and don't seem to have the inner register ring on the back. Maybe they are a late model wheel and he has the bolt pattern wrong of maybe just the pictures are deceiving but I would really appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks!

1ddcfbdf-3ba8-4d90-ab37-95d01cef7c6d.jpg

8497e8e4-6f31-4554-8d21-81ebb8975c4e.webp

As you’ve probably figured out, there are three styles of the 15” 5 on 5 rally wheels.  The code 895 wheels are the ones that came out in 1971.  They have a deeper back spacing than the 65 - 70 styles(2) and don’t fit in the wheel well as aesthetically as the 65 - 70 styles.  The differences in the two earlier styles are most evident by looking at the back.  The earlier ones, code 802, have a gentle slope from the rim to the bolt face.  The middle ones, code 853, are stepped in the back to make room for the disk brake caliper.  

The one you pictured are too dirty/rusty to get a good look at.  To me they look like 895 wheels, but ……
You can easily tell the later 895 wheels.  If you lay a straight edge across the face of the wheel, the straight edge will lie on the center before it touches the rim.  The opposite for the 853 wheels, the straight edge will touch the rim and the center of the wheel will be below that line.

Where are you located and how much is the seller asking for the wheels? 

There appears to be a lot of rust in the bead. If so, the rust is in pits and won’t buff out.  Rechroming wheels is expensive.  Don’t buy the first ones you find just because they’re there.  There are lots of these wheels around.

Make sure that all four are the same style! 

The seller should be able to confirm that and take a picture of a straight edge lying across the face.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both very much for the replies and the added information! I live in Western Canada and Buick rally wheels don't seem to be very common up here.  I have been looking for about 6 months and this was the first set that have really come up with a 5x5 bolt pattern.  I am sure they are much more prevalent in the US but exchange and shipping costs are a killer as well so have to factor that into the overall equation . I am not in a rush so I will continue to look and see what I can find. Thanks again!

13 minutes ago, K13 said:

Thank you both very much for the replies and the added information! I live in Western Canada and Buick rally wheels don't seem to be very common up here.

Good day.

Sorry, I can't help you with the wheels, I have a '64 and I love my aluminium turbines, but yes, a lot of things you may need aren't very common in these parts of Canada. But welcome to the group, and good to see some more Riviera locals. Other members near by besides myself include one other '63 in Edmonton, and one in Sherwood Park. If you join the ROA (highly recommended) the four of us could almost start our own local chapter...😅

Anyway, good luck in your wheels, and rest assured, these guys that responded ^^ know their stuff...

Later,

Because of the deeper back spacing, to get an 895 wheel to fit over the finned aluminum drums, you may need to use a spacer. Which in turn may cause a need for longer studs.  

Have you considered putting the cast aluminum turbine style wheel covers on your Riv? They were original in 1963 and are very striking.IMG_1669.jpeg.8d55d143b0f6bbbad4d7a4d4b8b49ed4.jpeg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, K13 said:

Thank you both very much for the replies and the added information! I live in Western Canada and Buick rally wheels don't seem to be very common up here.  I have been looking for about 6 months and this was the first set that have really come up with a 5x5 bolt pattern.  I am sure they are much more prevalent in the US but exchange and shipping costs are a killer as well so have to factor that into the overall equation . I am not in a rush so I will continue to look and see what I can find. Thanks again!

Shipping costs may be a killer but probably peanuts to getting some rechromed.  Join the ROA. Attend the next meet. Let a vendor know what you’re looking for, then put them in your car for your trip home. 

15 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Because of the deeper back spacing, to get an 895 wheel to fit over the finned aluminum drums, you may need to use a spacer. Which in turn may cause a need for longer studs.

Yes, you'll likely need at least a 1/4-inch spacer.  My '67 came with 895 wheels on it that used 1/4" spacers to alleviate interference with the fins (esp. front).  Even so, the rim just 'kissed' the tip of the aluminum fins.  I didn't like the loss of thread engagement on the standard length studs, so I replaced the 895 wheels with a set of correct 802s from another '67.

I have 802’s, 853, 895, re-chrome, or in very nice shape as is. Also, I have newly chrome two bar spinners with new emblems. You are right chrome plating is expensive. The webs can be left alone or powder coated any color you want.

The turbines are reworked to shine anf free of cracks, etc. All bosses are functional should be. I can ship UPS to Western Canada by UPS FOR 50 % of UPS retail. All my equipment is OEM. You can buy Buick Roadwheels reproductions for reasonable prices.

( the gloss black on the Road Wheel in the picture is by customer request)

Get what you want where you want. Id recommend the cast aluminum turbines for your 63 because that is what I like. The Buick Road wheel was not an option on the 63 Riviera. But, please put anything on your car you like.

IMG_2081.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

You can buy Buick Roadwheels reproductions for reasonable prices.

Yes, BUT the only reproduction Buick Road wheels are the ones for the intermediate sized bodies - Skylark, Regal, etc. They may be 15” wheels BUT they are two piece wheels AND they have the 4-3/4” bolt circle.  They don’t look correct and they do not fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Yes, BUT the only reproduction Buick Road wheels are the ones for the intermediate sized bodies - Skylark, Regal, etc. They may be 15” wheels BUT they are two piece wheels AND they have the 4-3/4” bolt circle.  They don’t look correct and they do not fit.

Ed’s correct, there is no repro 5x5 road wheels for the full size cars. Only the A body, skylark/GS 4 3/4 Buick rally’s. 

In cases you are trying to fit a non stock item on a vintage car you could be in for some lessons on what will fit and wont fit. Just because a wheel specification is different from original spec doesn't mean it will not fit.For instance a 5x120mm bolt pattern and 4.75 “ are close enough to fit.

One writer contends the 5” on 4.75” will fit on 5 on 5. Certainly not on spec.,but doesnt mean it wont fit. For the most part we are a preservation Buick Riviera group. Preservation means putting parts together that fit. It is my belief it is each persons interpretation of fit and function. Remember its your car and your money so make sure it fits the way want it to fit. 
When you want to change fitment specs it is wise to counsel with those that have done what you want to do.

What people write and what they actually do can be two different things. Caveat Emptor.

IMG_0597.jpeg

DSC_0317.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

4.75" and 5.00" bolt circles are not interchangeable based on my experience.  I suppose it's possible to get a wheel adapter to go from 5.00" to 4.75", however.  That would allow use of aftermarket A-Body (aka: 'GS') wheels which are available in many different diameters (not just 15").

• Like 1

I like the wire wheel covers I got for my '64 Riviera in 1980.

An interesting fact I discovered while considering Buick rally wheels is that the word ubiquitous originally described the universal presence of God.

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

4.75" and 5.00" bolt circles are not interchangeable based on my experience. 

EmTee, my first thoughts as well. I truly have not experienced a 5” on 5” on 5” on 4.75”. Now Ive put 5 “on 5” my 64 Chevy Impala SS that is 5” on 120mm. Im happy to double check as I have help today in the carriage house.

If it doesnt fit Im happy to wrong.

Turbinator

Just yesterday a friend of mine brought over four like new, but very old, 215/75R15 tires and wheels that he had on a 72 Oldsmobile convertible.  We figured they would be good for moving the car around while it’s being worked on. The wheels went on the studs very easily but I had forgotten about the diameter of the 1964 hubs.  The Oldsmobile wheels have the same sized center hole as the 1965 and later Buick wheels.  So fair warning, not all 5 on 5 wheels will bolt on a 64 and earlier brake drum.  

@K13 If you do find a nice set of the 802 or 853 Buick Rally wheels you will have to remove the register ring that is welded on the inside of the wheel. It is there so the wheel is “ hub centric” on the brake drum/hub assembly.

Here’s a picture of the back of a 853 wheel with the register ring in place.

IMG_1670.jpeg.e3c6c5bfe62d65486e46c91320d5a67b.jpeg

As long as we’re discussing Buick rally wheels, here’s a picture of the back an 802 wheel.  The above 853 wheel is stepped for disk brake caliper clearance, this 802 has a smooth back. It clears the finned drums but not a disk brake caliper.

IMG_1671.jpeg.05dfe9cf3ed529eda41435560b3fa801.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

I suppose it's possible to get a wheel adapter to go from 5.00" to 4.75", however.  That would allow use of aftermarket A-Body (aka: 'GS') wheels which are available in many different diameters (not just 15").

EmTee,

I grabbed an 802 Buick Roadwheel and bolted the 802 on my stock 1964 Chevy Impala SS. The fit tight and spun with no noise. So, the 5 on 5 fit the 5” x 120mm hub.

The fit was not as designed. The studs were not centered in the holes as they should. The lug nuts tightened up nicely and appeared to help the fit.

The person who wants to mix and match parts might want test fit for themselves.

123_1.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Wow thanks so much for everyone's input. I have read a lot of threads on wheels on the site before asking and there is a lot of good info but all the additional and revisited information is very much appreciated.

I have to sheepishly admit I am not a preservationist or restorer so may not fully fit in here. I am an early custom car guy so this car will be a mild '60's style custom. I built and have a  late 40's Westergard style 1937 Chevy truck and I am working on a basket case 1950 Mercury that will be done as an early '50's style custom one day so my interests lie in fairly period correct custom cars. In that vein I am not really looking for anything wheel wise that would have been available on the car from the dealership but something that would have been available shortly after or resemble something that was available at the time.  The rally wheels seem to fit fit that bill for a '63 and would work kind of like a factory custom type modification. Plus they are great looking wheels.

There is a set of uni lug standard offset Truspokes for sale in the area as well (wires would fit the time period I am after) but from my research on here I am not sure if they would fit either and or what kind of additional modifications would need to be done (spacers, lugs etc).

The rally wheels I posted were fairly inexpensive as I probably could have had the set of 4 for $200 Canadian but I as mentioned I am not in so much of a hurry that I can't wait for something that will work better. And yes chrome is expensive, if required, but so is the almost 30% exchange rate and outrageous shipping and brokerage fees we have to pay to get anything in US dollars these days. The beautiful pair of newly chromed wheels Turbinator has for sale would be over $2000 Cdn by the time I got them here so one has to factor it all in when deciding on costs.

19 hours ago, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Sorry, I can't help you with the wheels, I have a '64 and I love my aluminium turbines, but yes, a lot of things you may need aren't very common in these parts of Canada. But welcome to the group, and good to see some more Riviera locals. Other members near by besides myself include one other '63 in Edmonton, and one in Sherwood Park. If you join the ROA (highly recommended) the four of us could almost start our own local chapter...😅

Anyway, good luck in your wheels, and rest assured, these guys that responded ^^ know their stuff...

Later,

Always nice to see some other locals. I did see a couple of '63's at the Rock N August show in St Albert last year and maybe a '64. Don't remember the year but there is a maroon Riv there every year that parks by the pedestrian bridge.

Edited by K13 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@K13 You might do a search and see if you can find pictures of a car that has the rally wheels AND 3 nch beauty rings.  The rinds are great for hiding the bead rust that is so common to these wheels. 

Paint the webs what ever color and use the fluted cone center caps.

40 minutes ago, K13 said:

Wow thanks so much for everyone's input. I have read a lot of threads on wheels on the site before asking and there is a lot of good info but all the additional and revisited information is very much appreciated.

I have to sheepishly admit I am not a preservationist or restorer so may not fully fit in here. I am an early custom car guy so this car will be a mild '60's style custom. I built and have a  late 40's Westergard style 1937 Chevy truck and I am working on a basket case 1950 Mercury that will be done as an early '50's style custom one day so my interests lie in fairly period correct custom cars. In that vein I am not really looking for anything wheel wise that would have been available on the car from the dealership but something that would have been available shortly after or resemble something that was available at the time.  The rally wheels seem to fit fit that bill for a '63 and would work kind of like a factory custom type modification. Plus they are great looking wheels.

There is a set of uni lug standard offset Truspokes for sale in the area as well (wires would fit the time period I am after) but from my research on here I am not sure if they would fit either and or what kind of additional modifications would need to be done (spacers, lugs etc).

The rally wheels I posted were fairly inexpensive as I probably could have had the set of 4 for $200 Canadian but I as mentioned I am not in so much of a hurry that I can't wait for something that will work better. And yes chrome is expensive, if required, but so is the almost 30% exchange rate and outrageous shipping and brokerage fees we have to pay to get anything in US dollars these days. The beautiful pair of newly chromed wheels Turbinator has for sale would be over $2000 Cdn by the time I got them here so one has to factor it all in when deciding on costs.

Always nice to see some other locals. I did see a couple of '63's at the Rock N August show in St Albert last year and maybe a '64. Don't remember the year but there is a maroon Riv there every year that parks by the pedestrian bridge.

I think the Tru Spoke Unilugs will fit....and look good.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, K13 said:

I have to sheepishly admit I am not a preservationist or restorer so may not fully fit in here. I am an early custom car guy...[clipped]

Good day.

Not to worry, there's a pretty eclectic mix of Riviera owners on this forum, and some that don't even own their Riv's anymore. You never know what one may learn from the wealth of knowledge regardless of the reasons that some still own the car they bought in 1980 as a twenty-something with more money than brains (mmtb) and never did sell it like so many of their other friends that owned cool cars at the time and now although mechanically sound through hired help (again recently mmtb), it's a relatively decent twenty-footer but now awaiting the can-o-worms body and interior, that may have to wait for the grandson that just turned one to get excited about... There's at least one of those guys on this forum...😅

And yes, I've shot the '63 Maroon Riv there a few years (photo circa 2018) but never did meet the owner. My '64 original paint an interior... and turbines...!!

And for what it's worth, we don't always buy in to Grouchos...

I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.” - Groucho Marx

Later,

63-Riv Maroon - 1.jpeg

64-Riv RAM - 1.jpeg

• Like 1

If you're open to aftermarket wheels I'd keep an eye open for a set of Torq Thrusts.  I can't think of a car that they don't look good on...  ;)

image.png.e8377e32e8be25edbbcea69800ce9a0f.png

Here’s a picture f the car to which I referred.  3 inch stainless trim rings and the 66 - 70 center caps.  These wheels are painted the 65 color. 

This could be done with the 895 wheels you found and some 1/4” spacers.

IMG_1673.jpeg.0919c96695df3ee98f2a09eb42551b60.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, K13 said:

I am an early custom car guy so this car will be a mild '60's style custom

Welcome and I’m completely on board with that. 😎 they might be difficult to source in Canada, but to me the quintessential  wheel for a mid 60’s mild custom are Skylarks I’ve found 2 sets on marketplace. So keep your eyes open.  
I love the road wheels and turbines too. Good luck with your search and post some pics of your car. Join the ROA too. Lots of help here. 

Brian

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 1/3/2024 at 2:14 PM, OldGerman said:

Here is the rim matrix.

F4BF7DF2-9AD9-4DE4-828B-491E8061FD9D.png

Mr Old German, I thought the market would demand such a product as car bolt pattern adapters. Thank you as this info can help solve problems. The wheel chart for the road wheels will also come in handy. 
Thank you

Turbinator

FYI 5 on 5" bolt circle is 127 mm.  Look at any wheel manufacturer's website and you'll see how they sell wheels. The 4-3/4" bolt circle is 120.7"  It's so easy to research this stuff before putting it in ink.  

The Buick Roadmaster and Chevy Caprice/SS were 5 on 5 bolt patterns in the mid 90s.  I was running a set of 895 Buick Rally wheels on my 1994 Roadmaster wagon.

COMMON REFERENCE MILLIMETERS CONVERTS TO INCHES
Five on One Hundred 5×100 CONVERTS TO 5×3.94
Five on Four 5×101.6 CONVERTS TO 5×4
Five on One “O” Eight
— or —
Five on Four and a Quarter
5×108 CONVERTS TO 5×4.25 or 5×4 1/4
Five on One Ten 5×110 CONVERTS TO 5×4.33
Five on One Twelve 5×112 CONVERTS TO 5×4.41
Five on One Fourteen Point Three
— or —
Five on Four and a Half
5×114.3 CONVERTS TO 5×4.5 or 5×4 1/2
Five on One Fifteen 5×115 CONVERTS TO 5×4.52
Five on One Twenty 5×120 CONVERTS TO 5×4.72
Five on Four and Three Quarter 5×120.7 CONVERTS TO 5×4.75 or 5×4 3/4
Five on Five
— or —
Five on One Twenty Seven
5×127 CONVERTS TO 5×5
Five on One Thirty 5×130 CONVERTS TO 5×5.12
Five on One Thirty Five 5×135 CONVERTS TO 5×5.3
Five on Five and a Half
— or —
Five on One Thirty Nine
5×139.7 CONVERTS TO 5×5.5 or 5×5 1/2
Five on One Fifty 5×150 CONVERTS TO 5×5.9

Here's a link to other vehicle that have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.  Some may be 4 wheel drive, some may be front wheel drive.  You also have to consider backspacing when thinking about a swap.  The 895 Buick Rally wheel will not fit over the finned aluminum brake drum equipped cars.  Too deep of a back spacing.  

https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x5/

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 8:23 PM, 71GS said:

Welcome and I’m completely on board with that. 😎 they might be difficult to source in Canada, but to me the quintessential  wheel for a mid 60’s mild custom are Skylarks I’ve found 2 sets on marketplace. So keep your eyes open.  
I love the road wheels and turbines too. Good luck with your search and post some pics of your car. Join the ROA too. Lots of help here. 

Brian

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

Your car looks great! I would love a set of Skylarks but I am pretty attached to all of my organs so probably won't happen.🤑

I contacted the guy about the Tru spokes. They are 6.5" and 7" with standard offset. He had them on his '69 Riv and offered to try them on his '65 for me and said he is pretty sure they would work with a 1/4" to 1/2" spacers. Not usre if anyone here has any further knowledge given the dimensions. The seem to be a pretty good deal at $1000 Cdn and within driving distance to pick up.

• Like 1

K13

thank you. I never thought I’d have a set either but they popped up and were priced very fair so ya never know. 
Definitely check out the true spokes. Hope they work out. 
🏻

17 hours ago, K13 said:

...and within driving distance to pick up.

That's a big plus and probably reason enough to go and look at them in person.  I'll bet you can wrangle a deal if you show up with cash in-hand.  ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

...I would opt for wheel spacers like these...

These are basically the same design as used on many of the bolt circle adapters.

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

These are basically the same design as used on many of the bolt circle adapters.

When I was looking for pictures of these, I had to refer to them as spacers. When I searched for adapters, I only found ones that adapted one size bolt circle to another or 5 on 5 to 5 on 6 or vice versa. I know it’s a matter of semantics but it might help someone down the road when they start searching.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:57 PM, RivNut said:

Here’s a picture f the car to which I referred.  3 inch stainless trim rings and the 66 - 70 center caps.  These wheels are painted the 65 color. 

This could be done with the 895 wheels you found and some 1/4” spacers.

IMG_1673.jpeg.0919c96695df3ee98f2a09eb42551b60.jpeg

You would need to widen the wheel by 1” to get that deep look. A shalllower ring will fit without widening but will not look as deep.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:58 PM, K13 said:

The seem to be a pretty good deal at $1000 Cdn and within driving distance to pick up.

Buy a train car load at that price….assuming the value in the wheel is there. Check if the wire spokes and lugs are stainless. An added value if so. My TruSpokes had a variety of bolt patterns that would fit the way the many holes were drilled. Once you get the wheels your challenge might be center cap assembly to suit your taste. Finding a flat center cap cover to fit mine took some searching. The building your assembly is where the fun begins.

Best of luck

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

Until I sold it, I had 3” trim rings on the Buick Rally wheels that I had on my 94 Roadmaster Estate wagon. (Sold the car, kept the rings - to be used again!)

Not saying you cant get a 3” ring on the wheels. You wont have that same deep look that the additional 1” widening gives as illustrated in the pic of the black rivi. If you could find the original post to the black gs you will see that the owner of the car stated that he had the wheels widened by 1” .