Another - 1960 Edsel 2 Door $17,500 Missouri

Marketplace - 1960 Ford Edsel | Facebook

Lots of photos of this car on the link. 

1960 Edsel Ranger. Powered by a 223 Cubic Inch 6-Cylinder Econ-O-Six Engine. Automatic Transmission. Restored in Bronze Rose Paint with Tan Vinyl Bench Seat Interior. Very Original throughout. Maintaining a Factory appearance Inside and Out.

Paint and Body are very nice. Interior is excellent, Seats perfect, Dash intact, Gauges clear and functional, Door Panels, Carpet and Headliner nice. Trunk finished in Factory appearance. Very sound Mechanically and can be driven without issue.

Owned by current owner for the last 5 years and has been meticulously maintained during that span. All receipts for routine and scheduled maintenance have been logged and kept with the car. Two binders full of receipts.

image.png.29c0013cbf1ba4a5ab1da582c186981e.png

image.png.c7ea31139851d2a3c679d170fdac9da2.png

image.png.bb269ba876761cab49e0518d57a2ab8e.png

Not as rare as the last 2 door Edsel I posted but wow, the photos are eye candy.  Not sure I care it's a 6 cylinder.  And the interior is stunning.  5 weeks on facebook marketplace might mean it's a bit over-priced, but not sure how you can say it is.  I would go eBay or an auction setting.  

I always thought the Edsel "crowd" and some other groups were tight knit and knew about the special ones and jumped on them when they came up for sale.  But even these groups - Studebaker, Edsel, Lincoln, and so on - are aging out.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 8

• B Jake Moran changed the title to Another - 1960 Edsel 2 Door $17,500 Missouri

I like it!  It's not going to beat many other cars off the line, but for a simple cruiser that would fit the bill.  I don't the seller will get to close to his asking price the Edsel brand is too tarnished!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

On 12/15/2023 at 9:25 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Marketplace - 1960 Ford Edsel | Facebook

Lots of photos of this car on the link. 

1960 Edsel Ranger. Powered by a 223 Cubic Inch 6-Cylinder Econ-O-Six Engine. Automatic Transmission. Restored in Bronze Rose Paint with Tan Vinyl Bench Seat Interior. Very Original throughout. Maintaining a Factory appearance Inside and Out.

Paint and Body are very nice. Interior is excellent, Seats perfect, Dash intact, Gauges clear and functional, Door Panels, Carpet and Headliner nice. Trunk finished in Factory appearance. Very sound Mechanically and can be driven without issue.

Owned by current owner for the last 5 years and has been meticulously maintained during that span. All receipts for routine and scheduled maintenance have been logged and kept with the car. Two binders full of receipts.

image.png.29c0013cbf1ba4a5ab1da582c186981e.png

image.png.c7ea31139851d2a3c679d170fdac9da2.png

image.png.bb269ba876761cab49e0518d57a2ab8e.png

Not as rare as the last 2 door Edsel I posted but wow, the photos are eye candy.  Not sure I care it's a 6 cylinder.  And the interior is stunning.  5 weeks on facebook marketplace might mean it's a bit over-priced, but not sure how you can say it is.  I would go eBay or an auction setting.  

I always thought the Edsel "crowd" and some other groups were tight knit and knew about the special ones and jumped on them when they came up for sale.  But even these groups - Studebaker, Edsel, Lincoln, and so on - are aging out.  

I'd love a 60 bubble roof, but this is in such good shape!  Probably the best one left on the planet. Yes these groups are aging out, me included at 68 yrs. 

Also add the AMC crowd to that list. As a former Studebaker owner and fan, Canadian Pontiac and Meteor, Rambler and a few other oddballs, I see a major shift in the last 4-5 yrs away from orphan brands. My reasons are lack of parts, storage, rust, and laziness. Not in that order. Driving in the hot summer without A/C is also really starting to matter to me. Wimping out has been mentioned to me too!

On 12/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, Ed Luddy said:

I'd love a 60 bubble roof, but this is in such good shape!  Probably the best one left on the planet. Yes these groups are aging out, me included at 68 yrs. 

Also add the AMC crowd to that list. As a former Studebaker owner and fan, Canadian Pontiac and Meteor, Rambler and a few other oddballs, I see a major shift in the last 4-5 yrs away from orphan brands. My reasons are lack of parts, storage, rust, and laziness. Not in that order. Driving in the hot summer without A/C is also really starting to matter to me. Wimping out has been mentioned to me too!

Meteor, Marlin, Matador coupe, Stude, Corvair... I too have oddball orphans including a '60 Edsel (far from this one in condition).
But..... when I got an old pickup, went with a '72 GMC. Sure is nice to be able to get anything desired for it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Has to be the best thing that Edsel ever brought to the Market

Edsel didn’t “bring it to market” the 1960 model. It was a contractual obligation. 

Edsel dealers were signed up with a guarantee that there would be 3 model years of production. (1958+)

Internal memos show that Ford had actually decided to drop the Edsel before it was introduced in the fall of 1957.  Of course it did collapse during the 58 model year, with many dealers resigning. During the 1959 model year Ford representatives were crisscrossing the country begging dealers to quit. Huge buyouts for their inventory, signs, building improvements etc.  “Please just quit already!”  

But there were a few dealers that were actually profitable and wanted to stay in business.  
With Ford begging, pleading, threats etc. but they couldn’t get the dealers gone before they had to introduce a 1960 model.  So they cobbled one together.  

Eventually by the fall of 1959 there were no more Edsel dealers and on November 19th production stopped and the announcement was made. 

If Ford could have gotten away with not having 1959 models they would have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that history.  I’ll have to review the one book I have on Edsels.  

Ford was NOT better managed by Henry Ford 2. In my opinion.  He deferred too much.  Ford was a company with too much critical mass.  I never saw it as a company that would go bankrupt and be sold off.  

But Henry II green lighted the Mark II Continental, then killed it.  He greenlighted the Edsel.  Then killed it.  He could not manage Iacocca, fired him.  

But because Henry I and Edsel managed Ford for years, it was - in the modern vernacular - too big too fail.  

I would own a 58 Citation or s 60 Edsel like this one.  But for its historical cool factor as much or more than style.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Thanks for that history.  I’ll have to review the one book I have on Edsels

Don’t bother it’s not in the books.  The details and documentation was rooted out at the Ford Archives by my friend Phil Skinner, one of (or the) top Edsel historians in the country. 

57 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

But Henry II green lighted the Mark II Continental, then killed it

Nobody “killed” the second Continental. The 2 door only high end luxury car was doomed in a market segment where buyers preferred 4 doors.  444 cars produced for its second year.  You can’t justify that minuscule production.  
So Ford wisely decided to apply the name to their new unibody car.  Compared to the previous 2 door version it sold very well.  Today collectors may prefer the earlier version, the company MUST make a profit, and the 56-7 didn’t.  

A company must follow the buyers not expect the buyers to take what is offered. That’s what killed the independents.  

Another example is replacing the slow selling 2 passenger Tbird with the 4 seat 58.  Another smart profitable decision 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fossil said:

this car is stunning without the usual Edsel quirkiness. 

I agree. Both the '60 Edsel and the '64 Imperial had attractive and somewhat similar front ends. I wonder if Elwood Engel had anything to do with the '60 Edsel when he was at FoMoCo in the early '60's? M-mman, do you know if that's the case or not? I appreciate your knowledge on this stuff.

images.jpg

1960Edsel1jg.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a car without inspecting it once. It turned out to be just as the seller described. But I'm still gunshy about long distance transactions. Mailing or wiring thousands of dollars to a stranger just makes me cringe. If the Edsel was a few hours away so I could inspect it and meet the seller face to face, I would consider it.  The photos sure look nice.