48 Packard Convertible Project

59 minutes ago, Den41Buick said:

Looks like a lot of money for 4 brand new tires!

Not just four tires! Also included are "(4) beautiful Cloisonné Center Hubcaps with perfect centers with no chips, Beautiful rust free front fenders and hood with NICE used Cormorant Hood ornament"! 

Just repair or replace everything else and you'll have a beautiful car! 

For the record, since the original poster didn't bother to include any information:

1948 Packard Custom 8 Convertible

condition: fair
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 1
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: missing
transmission: manual
type: convertible

REDUCED TO $6000!!Offered is my 1948 Packard CUSTOM EIGHT CONVERTIBLE, This is Packard's Top of the line convertible and is a VERY RARE and extremely hard to find model!. This car is in need of a restoration but Included are Thousands of dollars in New parts to start you out!! Will need floor pans and rocker panel repair but has a solid frame. This car is almost 100% complete except for a few missing exterior trim pieces. This would make a great car to restore just because of it's rarity and value, but could also be used for the very hard to find CUSTOM 8 CONVERTIBLE PARTS. Included are a set of 4 NEW COKER CLASSIC H78-15 Wide Whitewall tires, (1) Brand new set of rocker panels, (4) beautiful Cloisonne Center Hubcaps with perfect centers with no chips, Beautiful rust free front fenders and hood with NICE used Cormorant Hood ornament, Many extra parts and hardware is all Included in deal!! I have recently retired and have sold 4 of my 5 Packards and This is the last one to go!! I am currently downsizing to a smaller house so stop by and take a look!! Call Nick at 315-682-3871 for

1948 Packard Custom 8 Convertible

condition: fair
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 1
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: missing
transmission: manual
type: convertible

appointment to view, Make offer

Another refugee from the Abelove auctions, it's as equivalent to the pre-war Super Eight 160 as one can get, even runs the same powertrain. 

According to the authoritative book by Robert J. Neal Packard 1948-1950, production for the 22nd Series Custom Eight convertible victoria was for model year 1948: 1,105; for 1949: 212, total 1,317.  

After the minor restyle for the 1949 23rd Series, only 60 were produced, finally another 85 for the 1950 model: total 145.  

To clear up the confusion the full 22nd Series production for 1948 model year started September 1947 through November 1, 1948, when the 1949 22nd Series began, running until May 31, 1949.  On June 1, 1949, production began of the 1949 23rd Series, which ran until October 1, 1949, when the 1950 23rd Series began.  It finished July 31, 1950.  

Are we all clear on this madness?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidinCA said:

It’s definitely a project, but if you were going to restore a post war Packard, this would be in the top 2 or three I’d think.   It would be an amazing car when finished.  I don’t think $6k is a crazy asking price.  

Definitely not top 2 post war,   all 4 year Caribbeans top it, then the custom eights, but probably right after those.

Most of the projects that get posted here should probably get parted out or crushed,  but I think this would be worthy of someone's efforts.

And the styling as grown on me over the years.  It is indicative of the period.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

And the styling as grown on me over the years.  It is indicative of the period.

Thank You. The 22nd and 23rd series Packards are a “love it or hate it car” that I happen to love. Having done a cosmetic restoration of one and driven it substantial miles I base my feelings on real world use.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DavidinCA said:

I’m with you on the Caribbeans, but isn’t this a Custom 8 convertible?  I’d have thought it ranks over a sedan.

Yes, this is a 22nd Series Custom 8 convertible.  The telltale is the longer front clip since the cowl-to-front-acle length is seven inches longer than the 22nd Series Eight/Deluxe Eight/Super Eight 120" wheelbase.  The dual lower body trim strips were also a 22nd Series Custom 8 only feature.   If one is going to make the substantial commitment to restore a 22nd Series Packard, the convertible victoria should be their first choice. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@B Jake Moran you were the guy on my mind when I posted this and half expected you might be inclined to reach out to seller.

AJ & Trucker yeah yeah.  I will accept my C- for effort...

Thanks Steve - I probably won't get involved with long distance purchases.  I believe this car was in New York.  I am almost always a day late on these buys, and most folks nowadays don't want to hold cars for transport.  I can't tell you how many deposits I have lost or even full payments on cars I could not get transported.  Maybe $50,000.  So I am not willing to take that risk. 

I am in central Iowa and generally look no more than 500 miles out and more like 250 miles max.  At 250 miles, I can get a friend who has a truck and trailer to go get it, paying him and we go, pick up the car, get lunch and come home.  

• Like 1