1949 Roadmaster Dynaflow noise

Hans1965

Hi all,

My just finished again 49 Roadmaster Riviera gives me some headache. First starting was hard, and the carburetor was spitting and fuel starving, installed an electric fuel pump to tackle that. Today it was hardly possible to accelerate, hard starting again and then it happened,  i wanted to drive in reverse into my garage and the dynaflow made a terrible clunky noise. I had to overcome a small road bump and had to press the paddle harder than on an even surface. Engine still fine. Forward was still okay, but the noise on reverse was kind of reproducible. Very much worrying me. The battery was dead then and i just pushed the car back. I really fear there is some mechanical damage. 

Any idea what might have happened? Very frustrating.  

Thanks a lot!

Hans

😔😔😔

What engine RPM do you have it set at? If much higher than the factory recommended setting it could make a loud clunk going into reverse. 

For example, on my 56, i used to run a 700RPM while the factory setting is 550. At 700 it might clunk going into reverse but at 550 it doesn't.   

At 700 I would let my foot off the brake pedal when shifting into reverse and the clunk was reduced, but still there. At 550 it seems the clunk stopped. 

Of note is that at 550 the engine sounds like it is barely running, and in summer driving I will pop it into Neutral at traffic lights or road stoppages and raise the idle with the accelerator, but that is more to reduce heat buildup.  But you may have to have everything dialed in just right to feel confident at that slow idle speed.  

Hi John, thanks  for sharing your experience! It is similar with my 53. With the 49 i ment something different It is not noisy when changing into reverse, but when the car is at an obstacle and cannot move freely. I had a too high bump from street to sidewalk and tried to accelerate to make it over this hurdle. And then it happened.  I just tried again. When the surface is flat, it drives back without issues. Just made another testdrive. Same place, same terrible noise again.  But it looks like it is still driveable. That is a big relief. Thanks for commenting, John. You always try to help. Appreciate that. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 10:00 AM, Hans1965 said:

All mounts, engine and transmission, were changed before. You mean it was possibly not fully in reverse?

On 11/17/2023 at 10:21 AM, Fr. Buick said:

Could be.  Check your adjustments.

Anytime the engine is removed and replaced or if the transmission and motor mounts and thrust pattern changed you should readjust the shift linkage.  This is more important in the  early dynaflow that does not have detents in the transmission for the shifting.  Sometimes you have to adjust again after everything is settled.  If not adjusted correctly you get function problems or the thing will howl in protest.

• 4 weeks later...

Only see the last two replies now, sorry.

I was too busy at work the last two months to tackle this problem. The car is now in winter storage in a quite far away garage. Currently changing the exhaust front to rear on my 47 Super sedanet in my little workshop. When it's done, I will change cars again.... 

Hope you had a merry Xmas, too!! 

Happy New Year!

• 3 months later...

Still have this problem.  I checked the linkage and I flushed even the Dynaflow.

When I go into reverse in the first moment nothing happens. When I give a liitle gas it starts rumbling and shaking. So heavily tbat i need to push back into L or D. Then I drove back, arrived at my garage and the dynaflow spit some fluid out, ca. half a liter. After shutting off the engine and waiting for 5 min, the reverse was back. I drove 2 m back and forth a few times and then it lost again fluid and I had no forward or reverse gear anymore. ...

Does anyone have an idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Hans,  I know you have checked a lot of things, but when my engine is revving too high,  I will get that terrible clunk noise in my ‘50 Super when I  want to go into reverse.  So no matter what gear I am in, I go to neutral for a few seconds before I put it into reverse.  This seems to greatly eliminate the clunk noise.  You have to be careful not to do it too fast.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)