For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 4/13, 3/18, 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced: Now $8,995 - 4/20/24 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1948 Oldsmobile 2-door Fastback Coupe in Ballston Spa, NY  -  $13,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 11/21, Seller reduced price to $12,950

On 12/11/23, Seller reduced price to $11,995

On 2/12/24, Seller reduced price to $9,750

On 2/21/24, Seller reduced price to $9,650

On 3/1/24, Seller reduced price to $9,500

On 3/18/24, Seller reduced price to $9,350

On 4/13/24, Seller reduced price to $8,995

Link to 2/12 relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/842158277592756/-1948-Olds-Fastback-Coupe-Reduced

Seller's Description:

1948 Oldsmobile 2-door Fastback Coupe

• Driven 48,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Tan

Very well preserved classic car! 6 cyl automatic. Runs and rides great. Possible trades for muscle car.

See video of engine running.

It is the first "photo" in the Facebook ad.

image.png.5e9e40aa1777da4bd6e8e6deeef75f23.png

image.png.6e1cb65eac67c6d93ad6690dd4a0355f.png

image.png.8377b85bdcb5c989e21e4e459c1783b4.png

image.png.827592a5d2c3204f22614de2faaa9e5e.png

image.png.ca862b14f99dde158db65e6030c1fcb8.png

image.png.ab43b3649809a13ff4f6d2d91ab1f825.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and rides great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 2/12/24 Reduced

On 2/12/24,

Seller reduced price to $9,750 and relisted on Facebook: 1948 Oldsmobile 2-door Fastback Coupe in Broadalbin, NY  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 2/12/24, Seller reduced price to $9,650

Link to relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/842158277592756/-1948-Olds-Fastback-Coupe-Reduced

Seller's Description:

1948 Oldsmobile 2-door Fastback Coupe

• Driven 42,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Tan

Runs and drives great very original car!  Need the room in garage.  Possible muscle car trades.

See video of engine running.

It is the first "photo" in the Facebook ad.

image.png.c127c549e2953d0e43feab07372d9137.png

image.png.7fc627fb67448e0b14e7a1cf35efe92d.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 2/12/24 Reduced

WOW!  What a buy...The seller is practically giving this car away. The two things I would think are holding it back is it's six cylinder and an Oldsmobile. If it were a Pontiac, Buick or a Cadillac it would be sold already.  Some easy projects could make her into very nice car and I would love to do them but it's on the wrong coast for me plus I don't have the room!

• Like 3

Man, if I could swing the purchase of this beauty, it would be in my driveway in no time flat. It's 2 1/2 hours away. I'm really surprised it hasn't sold. Why would being an Oldsmobile hold it back? 

15 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

Man, if I could swing the purchase of this beauty, it would be in my driveway in no time flat. It's 2 1/2 hours away. I'm really surprised it hasn't sold. Why would being an Oldsmobile hold it back? 

To me it just seems to me at least that Oldsmobile is just not as popular or collectible as the other GM brands.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deac said:

To me it just seems to me at least that Oldsmobile is just not as popular or collectible as the other GM brands.

Really? I'm surprised, given the high dollars people ask for the later Rocket 88 models and so forth. I'm obviously a big fan of them, and this one has such a classic vibe to it. 

Where I live Oldsmobiles sit a lot longer than all the other GM brands, even the flashy mid fifties models. 

What I don't like on this one is the dash. Condition is excellent,  but it doesn't speak to me. 

The side view of the car is really nice. Black is a great color for the fastbacks. But I agree, if this would be a Pontiac or Buick it would be gone already. 

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced

Was there no "Park" position in the automatic transmission?

I know Chryslers had no Park, even in my '61 Imperial, and that

the driver merely put the transmission in Neutral and applied the

parking brake.  Is that the case with this Oldsmobile Hydramatic?

Didn't Buick's early Dynaflows have a Park position, though?

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Was there no "Park" position in the automatic transmission?

I know Chryslers had no Park, even in my '61 Imperial, and that

the driver merely put the transmission in Neutral and applied the

parking brake.  Is that the case with this Oldsmobile Hydramatic?

Didn't Buick's early Dynaflows have a Park position, though?

On Hydramatics you would put the gear shift lever in the reverse (R) position for "PARK" - with the engine off

I think (not 100% sure) there was a "pawl" activated while in reverse position, engine off, locking the transmission output shaft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced: Now $9,500

Park position didn't appear on HydraMatics until 1956. 1940-55 and some 1956 operated as Joe describes.

I'm not well-versed on 1940s Oldsmobile (or other cars☺️) prices but with the price drop this looks like a lot of car for the money to me. 

Appears to be a Series 76 which was the middle priced Olds for 1948. The 100 horsepower six is undoubtedly holding back its sale. No powerhouse even back then but a dead reliable engine, if uninspiring. An "ooze-down-the-street" engine, which suits this fastback Oldsmobile.

In addition to HydraMatic it has heater/defroster and heavy-duty aircleaner and oil filter, as well as the backup lamp and I'm gonna guess Deluxe trim. I'd have to see the data plate to be sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 3/18, 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced: Now $9,350

I would like to think there's a breaking point where a buyer decides the car is just to cheap that I can't pass it up.  I think if this car were on the west coast I might have reached that point. But I am not close enough to inspect it and the shipping costs kill it for me!

• Like 1

EmTee:

Yes this one has me twitching but only for nostalgia sake. If my father was still alive I would have gone for one like this. He had a Black 1948 Olds fastback as a work car in the late 1950s. Our good car was a 1959 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. As a 5 year old I remember riding in the 48 on that front seat and looking at that dash. I just do not remember if it was a 6 or 8 cylinder. My dad named the car "LUCY". Knowing my father it would have been an 8. At the same time my grandfather was still driving the light blue 1948 8 cylinder Olds fastback my father bought new and had bought from my dad when he bought his 1950 Olds. My fathers first car was a 1946 Pontiac Torpedo 8. That was the last standard shift car he ever owned. Oh.. thats right there was the 1953 Chrysler with fluid drive before the 1959 Olds. My mother and he embraced the Hydra Matic technology.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 4/13, 3/18, 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced: Now $8,995

That's pretty darn cheap when crusty ones go for almost as much.  It's neat but alot of neat cars out there.  Good thing it doesn't really speak to me as it's only 30-40 minutes from me.   Figures.  Everything that does speak to me seems to be states or another coast away.

• Like 2

WOW, maybe someone should take $8,000 and show the seller the cash and buy it.  I don't think you'd be overpaying for it.  

• Like 3

EmTee

Still twitch about many cars but reality always stops the twitching. I only have a 2 car garage housing 2 cars and I am still renting a space several blocks away for the other 1925 Buick. Also the 1925 Master seems to have potentially a very expensive belly ache, which to cure would be the newly listed price of the 1948 Oldsmobile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, dibarlaw said:

Also the 1925 Master seems to have potentially a very expensive belly ache, which to cure would be the newly listed price of the 1948 Oldsmobile.

Sorry to hear that.  (You know I was just kidding you based on your earlier post.)  I'm in the same boat as you (no more room at the inn) - but it's still fun to look!  ;)

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1948 Oldsmobile Fastback Coupe - "Very well preserved, Runs and drives great" - Ballston Spa, NY - Not Mine - 4/13, 3/18, 3/1 & 2/12/24 Reduced: Now $8,995 - 4/20/24 SOLD!