1930 Pontiac Roadster?

Timchek

Looking for help positively identifying the make and model of this roadster.  Said to have been built from from a 1930 Pontiac? 
When I’ve researched online doesn’t appear to match many of the photos out there.

It’s possible that the grill was not born with the body, same for chassis.
Currently has a Chevy stovebolt six installed along with matching three speed w/overdrive.

Thanks!

IMG_7048.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7038.jpeg

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Body looks to be a 1930 Pontiac....same lines. Radiator shell is definitely earlier as stated.

1930 Pontiac.jpg

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

TROG car?

So yes, the fellow I acquired the car from built it for TROG event.  Elected to move on as he said they’ve cancelled the last several years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Looks like a fun project that probably runs down the road.....

What flavor of "Stovebolt" are we seeing? They are great engines!

I was told it came out of a 52 pickup, be interested to know if it’s a Babbitt engine or pressure oiling, not sure if that can be determined externally?

And yes it does run down the road, needs full electrical system and lighting installed.

3 hours ago, sagefinds said:

The radiator shell is 26-28 Pontiac. The pattern on the top of the cowl appears to match the top of the shell. The lines on the body don't match any Pontiacs in pictures of them in my books. I may have a hood for one of these if anyone needs one.

I might be interested in the hood, would need some measurements to determine if it could be made to work

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Body looks to be a 1930 Pontiac....same lines. Radiator shell is definitely earlier as stated.

1930 Pontiac.jpg

Thanks Keiser31, that’s what I was puzzled by as I researched online, that the rad shell didn’t match any of the images.

Appreciate the feedback!

1 hour ago, Timchek said:

I was told it came out of a 52 pickup, be interested to know if it’s a Babbitt engine or pressure oiling, not sure if that can be determined externally?

Look for a little triangular cover plate on the block, along the pan rail, about halfway back. If it has the plate, it's low pressure oiling. If it does not, it is full pressure oiling.

Displacement can be trickier. The 1952 pickup should have had a 216 when built, and all of those are low pressure oiling.

I'd like to hear more about the overdrive.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Look for a little triangular cover plate on the block, along the pan rail, about halfway back. If it has the plate, it's low pressure oiling. If it does not, it is full pressure oiling.

Displacement can be trickier. The 1952 pickup should have had a 216 when built, and all of those are low pressure oiling.

I'd like to hear more about the overdrive.

IMG_7044.jpeg.c99dd2a5d23337d253ed6a12a8f83a7f.jpeg

Bloo, it was explained to me when I purchased the car that the lever on the left rear of the trans case engaged the overdrive, supposedly it would have been hooked to some type of actuating device, I’m assuming manually activated in some form.  I’ve only had the opportunity to drive the car about 1/4 mile as it’s not titled nor registered yet.  When you look at the trans in the image you can see what appears to be a second unit attached to the rear of the trans into which that forward facing lever on the left is attached.  I don’t have any additional hardware for the overdrive and I’ve not even had the car up on stands yet! 🙄

I’ll gladly report back when I learn more.

if anyone out there is familiar with this overdrive unit would be interested to hear!

• Like 1

I am wondering if it might be freewheeling instead of overdrive. GM really seemed to be avoiding overdrive in those days. The transmission at last a first glance looks like early-mid 30s Chevrolet, but I don't recall the freewheel looking quite like that. If it is an aftermarket overdrive that fits an early Chevrolet transmission it would indeed be very interesting to know about. Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timchek said:

And yes it does run down the road, needs full electrical system and lighting installed.

If it is a Splasher there is a small cover plate behind the exhaust pipes on the left side of the engine. This cover will be held on by 2 stove-bolts - originally.  If not there it's a pressure engine. 

• Like 1

It must be free wheeling. It looks like it all grew together, and there is a Chevrolet emblem, and Chevrolet never had overdrive in the prewar era.

From a brino post on the VCCA forums:

<snip>The 590532 and 590715 are the same casting except the 590532 is machined to mate with a free wheeling unit. Both of these casting numbers have lugs cast on the sides with 3/8" - 16 tpi threads to support the MC/pedals and the e-brake. These will work in both cars and pickups. In cars the threaded lugs on the sides of the case are simply not used.<snip>

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/253482/1934-master-transmission-casting-number.html

On 11/14/2023 at 1:34 PM, Timchek said:

I might be interested in the hood, would need some measurements to determine if it could be made to work

I'm sure this hood is of the 26-28 era Pontiac,whether they all took the same is unknown. It has the ridge down the center,about 6" wide in back,4 1/2" wide in front. The top panels are 34" front to back on top,35" at the side hinge,side panels 34 1/2" at the bottom,about 20 1/4" tall in front,20 3/4" in back. Does not have the handles or latches,not sure if it ever had them. Louvers are almost perfectly straight,a couple may need minor tweaking. Spots of surface rust but no heavy rust issues. If this hood was ever used,it wasn't for long. Like to get $325 plus shipping. Holler if interested.

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

12 hours ago, sagefinds said:

I'm sure this hood is of the 26-28 era Pontiac,whether they all took the same is unknown. It has the ridge down the center,about 6" wide in back,4 1/2" wide in front. The top panels are 34" front to back on top,35" at the side hinge,side panels 34 1/2" at the bottom,about 20 1/4" tall in front,20 3/4" in back. Does not have the handles or latches,not sure if it ever had them. Louvers are almost perfectly straight,a couple may need minor tweaking. Spots of surface rust but no heavy rust issues. If this hood was ever used,it wasn't for long. Like to get $325 plus shipping. Holler if interested.

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

That looks very promising!  Traveling this weekend, I’ll put a tape measure to the car to validate and reply back early next week.

thanks!