Restoration of Emblems

dodge28

I read articles of 2021 about Emblematic Co. I may be wrong if I get the impression there is problem with that company. I am very jittery when I read about negative opinions. I am a sceptic. I am trying to contact this company by letter but nothing is happening. I live in Thornhill, Canada and would like to get permission and guidance before sending emblem. Is there someone else who does that type of work ?

Harry.

The more colors that you have in an emblem/badge to replace the more time it takes as assorted powdered glass that is used to replace what is missing etc melt at different temperatures to fuse to the metal base. When fired in a enameling kiln ( very small compared to the larger kiln that fire pottery)

Once fired and the glass particles/power melts,  that may have to be ground smooth to even it out at the surface. then when all that is done the item can be replated to let the plating stick /adhere to the raised areas between the colors. I have done this and have had it done at a place in England decades ago. I used to teach students how to do this in art classes ( they did the glass enamel , I did the firing would not let them near a hot kiln.  I have not done this for many years ( nor do I intend to again) the most complicated piece I did had 7 different colors - was a 1920s car club membership badge for the Brooklands race track in England.

• Like 2

Unless the emblem you have is extremely rare, paying for restoration should be the last resort IMO. I've been collecting, buying and selling these for years and there are very many available on Ebay or in Automobilia auctions. You should be able to find a nice example if you shop awhile.

• Like 2

The original Emblemagic company was sold  a couple of years ago. I had some of the last work done right before the sale. The work was beautiful. I have since heard that the new business was not operating at full potential and may have closed by now. Seems the fate of most of the specialty businesses that were sold in recent years.

20231117_001957.jpg.3ee24225890b51b0a886ffc436f23392.jpgI bought a 1950 Cadillac emblem from the new owner years back.  Honestly, I wasn't happy with the result at all. Due to the fact that I was collecting a number of parts in the US before i got them shipped over to me, I missed the deadline to complain. Otherwise i would have send it back. There were a number of bigger bubbles in the plastic on the lower end of the emblem.  Very obvious. If I remember tonight, I post a picture. Then everybody can judge on his own. Just added it. Address was Grand River, Ohio.

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Having had done business with Emblemagic on several occasions over the decades, I have no recent experiences from past few years.

I know the company changed ownership a few years ago and about a year ago, I was introduced to the lady who operates it now (or did that time) and saw her display some of her work at a car show here in SoCal.
Overall quality appeared quite good, but she admitted she’s still learning and trying to improve her products.

The biggest drawback she noted being that the emblem production is secondary to her full-time job of teaching auto body & paint work or something similar at some community college or vocational school and that she was just overwhelmed with pending emblem orders

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1