Help ID make model

johnnyrock70

6 minutes ago, TheYorkBell said:

My guess would be about a 1927 Chevrolet 

Rumble deck is too short, fenders do not show any beading and the visor over the screen is part of the roof in the original picture. I would guess at 1926-7 Series A Hupmobile. Now if the lady could kindly move away from the vehicle so I can get a better look.................

Steve

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

This 1926 Jewitt has the same wheels with the same amount of hub bolts and rim bolts. The closed car has the same visor....

1926 Jewitt.jpg

1926 Jewitt sedan.jpg

This definitely looks closer, as the hood louvers don’t run the whole way to the front of the hood like a Hupmobile or many of the others that look close. 

• Like 1

Don't think we are done yet. Note that the window door glass comes down to what appears perhaps an upper bead without a further distance to top bead such as is shown in all suggestions so far. 8 bolt hub, 5 wheel rim lugs, relatively small/short trunk lid with very modest handle, built in roof overhang, etc suggests a basic car, looked at many, no cigar.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Found this photo on internet, lists as 1927 Paige 6-45 Coupe, note door seems to match OP. The enlarged photo below of OP hub/grease cap seems to show a diamond pattern logo in center of cap, perhaps a Paige logo as shown below, they used both a white diamond with dark letters like this, and also a dark diamond with white letters. So likely as mentioned above, some circa 1926/27 model of Paige/Jewett company product. Note how belt line ends on top of rear fender like in OP. 

1927 Paige 6-45 Coupe.jpg

1920's Paige Emblem.JPG

Unknown !927 era Sport Coupe Jewett Hubcap.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was called the "New Day" model Jewett in 1926 and became the "New Day" Paige for 1927. It was also either a 6-40 or 6-45 as the 1927 Paige. I have the 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan in my garage. As Paige Detroit wound down their final year, they rebadged the New Day Jewett as the small model Paige. The crossover cars had the Paige name on the radiator, but Jewett badging on all other nameplates, engine and body. The crossovers also had an unusual hubcap with a fancy "P" more like something Peerless might have used. Years ago, there was another Paige 6-45 sedan in my family that had the earlier crossover badging and hubcaps, along with those steel disc wheels. Unfortunately, I was unable to get it when the other family member decided to sell it. It was in slightly better original condition than mine, and I would have liked to have had it.

Mine is a little later in the crossover, and has Paige engine and body badging, although the engine number plate had been changed apparently at the factory from the original Jewett one which was made of brass, to the Paige version which was made of aluminum. A piece of the brass engine plate was still attached to the engine. Mine also has the genuine Paige script "P" hubcaps. 

In the OP photo, I can tell the hubcap is not the Paige script "P" by its general size and shape. However, in the blur, I cannot tell for certain if it is the earlier Jewett script "J" or the interim fancy "P"? I almost want to say I think it is the interim "P"? But I just cannot be sure.

One detail in the OP photo that pretty much clinches Paige or Jewett is that the body (in spite of black and white photography) is clearly a three color body. Paige and Jewett were ahead of the curve on fancier colors for their cars in 1926 and 1927. Nearly all their cars those two years were three color bodies, with black upper body on enclosed styles above the upper beltline, and two contrasting colors separated by the lower beltline. They also had pinstriping in an additional color, and some bodies got another additional color around the window reveals. All cars had black fenders and side aprons.

Nice little car!

• Like 1