1965 Corvair Convertible - $8,500

No information on condition but it looks like a good deal! (more pics in ad) 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/hildale-1965-corvair/7681933483.html#

Garage kept, 1 owner. 39,000 original miles. Beautiful car. Grandpas car. $8500 obo. Call jack at(435)313-4711 if interested.

1965 corvair 100z0z_9BAV2eYb4Ix_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_fxgBvNzDkCO_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg00i0i_icEGG61PTUv_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg00303_hfqAuHwX1Xa_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg00r0r_7oHvfQv9nzG_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg01414_5NG3eO9aq0R_0uY0ne_600x450.jpg

• Like 5

I always thought those small glass Optikleen bottles originally held a special solvent that was supposed to be mixed with water to act as antifreeze for the larger plastic washer fluid reservoir mounted under the hood. It lowered the freezing point of the washer fluid so it wouldn't freeze up over the winter months. The solvent could also be used as a windshield cleaner that was supposed to dissolve the bugs on the windshield as well. I could be wrong but I thought there was a little something more than just regular washer fluid in there when the cars were new. 

• Like 1

From the photos, this appears to be a 140 hp, 4-carburetor, engine with a 2-speed Powerglide automatic transmission-

a nice combination fir cruising and touring.

mic I didn’t already have ours, and I were closer, I could be tempted to check this out  / especially with the low mileage 

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

15 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Corvairs are neat cars. My grandfather and father always had them. I still have a 63 Spyder. They are rising in value and parts are readily available as well as active clubs and support. This looks to be a good deal. 

Did you take it with you?

17 hours ago, Fossil said:

What's in the little bottle? Never seen that before. 

As 55er pointed out, it contained "spare" windshield washer fluid AKA "OptiKleen" (or earlier "KleerView") in GM parlance. Worked great long as the owner remembered to replenish the bottle.

OptiKleen is blue like modern methanol based washer fluids. KleerView was green. Not 100% sure of its formula but I think it was discontinued due to owners thinking it was just green ethylene glycol antifreeze and refilling the bottle with that. Undiluted EG can damage paint as well as make a nice smeary mess on a windshield.

OptiKleen bottle with label and mounting bracket:

stock-photo-scottsdale-arizona-bottle-of-optikleen-windshield-washer-solvent-made-by-gm-2115159416.jpg

KleerView bottle for Buick:

images.jpeg-6.jpg

Sometimes the label was generic, other times it was personalized for the GM Divisions.

The triangular glass bottles were made by Adell Chemical Corporation, who were probably the original manufacturer of the washer solvent. By 80s OptiKleen came in a triangular plastic bottle that, with some "persuasion", would fit in an original bracket. It's still available in either quart or gallon plastic bottles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:24 PM, JACK M said:

Did you take it with you?

Yes I still have the Spyder and the skyliner. 👍 There is someone from the Corvair Club that is supposed to get the Corvair running for me when he has time. I’ve met a few mechanics down here. 

Hope you are doing well and good to hear from you! 

• Like 1