Express a little gratitude

Walt G

With the excitement growing ( just look at the comments on the topic of the Eastern Nation Fall meet - HERSHEY) I hope some of you can take the brief moment and a short breath once there to "SAY THANK YOU" to all the volunteers who are working the event/show/flea market . This includes the people selling the programs, helping see the vendors find their spaces, people directing traffic , the crew from AACA HQ who answer questions, listen to complaints, put up with some insolence(?) all the time trying to be helpful. Sure some of them are being paid , it is their job BUT it doesn't take a lot to be polite , thankful and say two words " thank you ". They all are going well beyond their "job" to be cordial, and just plain nice to give you a memory of a grand event and time. Those few words can go a long way and mean a lot at the end of the day.

Walt

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Walt G said:

With the excitement growing ( just look at the comments on the topic of the Eastern Nation Fall meet - HERSHEY) I hope some of you can take the brief moment and a short breath once there to "SAY THANK YOU" to all the volunteers who are working the event/show/flea market . This includes the people selling the programs, helping see the vendors find their spaces, people directing traffic , the crew from AACA HQ who answer questions, listen to complaints, put up with some insolence(?) all the time trying to be helpful. Sure some of them are being paid , it is their job BUT it doesn't take a lot to be polite , thankful and say two words " thank you ". They all are going well beyond their "job" to be cordial, and just plain nice to give you a memory of a grand event and time. Those few words can go a long way and mean a lot at the end of the day.

Walt

Yes, this is something that I absolutely do not take for granted.  It is an amazing effort put on by several hundred people, who literally plan year-round to make Fall Hershey the absolute best classic vehicle event on the planet.   And that goes from Steve at the very top to the volunteers who pleasantly make the sacrifices to ensure our enjoyment.

I make a particular point to thank the judging team once they have completed their observations on my car on the show field, as I know it can be and usually is a tremendous, demanding effort to evaluate so many vehicles, especially the closer they are to flawless.   The proverbial magnifying glasses must be brought out to find any deductions that distinguish the overall appearance and presentation between such magnificent vehicles.

So, a salute and a raise or the glass to those who spend their entire day looking over our prides and joys…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for starting this thread as a reminder to remember the hard work that goes into putting on a show like Hershey! THANK YOU to EVERYONE involved on putting in the greatest antique automobile show and swap meet on earth!! I hope to see see many of you there!

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I am so appreciative of these comments.  Human nature, especially in this turbulent world, seems to have pushed good manners to the way side.  I can tell you that our staff, the region and all volunteers REALLY do appreciate when someone takes the time to say thank you.  Normally, people are quick to complain and constructive criticism is needed but those who in some cases have spent an entire year devoting energy to this event do like knowing that their efforts are truly appreciated.  We also thank YOU for attending and making this such a great event.  Vendors, car owners, shoppers, etc. all are needed and could go elsewhere but they keep coming back and it is you folks who in the end make Hershey special.

Walt, as always your are very kind to think of others.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Walt, as always your are very kind to think of others.

I have always tried to treat others the way I would like to be treated. Life is a two way street - what goes around comes around - HOPEFULLY.

As you state good manners get pushed to the wayside. That just isn't right, and is VERY SAD  . Since I got into the hobby so many years ago  ( yes I am old) I have found a lot of people who were just so nice and kind, I try to emulate them, can't thank many of them in person as they are now gone.  SO I am playing forward what they showed me.

I think that decades ago people were more appreciative - the modern push button world has changed things so people expect more instantly, they are not used to the VOLUNTEERS who give so freely of their time and effort to make all of us feel great.

I have experienced being a club member, officer, board member, Editor, tour organizer and chairman etc. on both local an national levels. Old car experiences are one thing that tie us all together and most give us pleasant memories to think about when times or health are not so great . This has happened to me for many years - from walking down an isle at Hershey to look at all the used car parts! to a ride in the front seat of a Stevens Duryea in western Wales along a narrow road looking off to view the Irish sea.

Express to people how grateful; you are for what they do for you and do it often; always nice to "make someones day" as they may do for you...................

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...