For Sale: 1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible - "Complete with all original parts, Near perfect body and interior" - $15,500 - Spokane, WA - Not Mine - 9/19 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible in Spokane, WA  -  $15,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/196233263330660/-1958-Edsel-Pacer-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible

• Driven 90,131 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Red

Body is in near perfect condition, interior is perfect except the dash has some minor distortion and crack. Glass is perfect, top is new, mat in trunk is rottin not the metal. Moter is 361 cubic inch runs great, transmision shifts good. Seals around side windows and trunk are rottin. Top retraction needs to be worked on, has new dual power brake master, needs the new compinsater installed. Tires need to be replaced. Car is complete with all original parts.

image.png.d884bb98abe49e46324e60777e8419e0.png

image.png.bd52203f0c10243c73eeeedf74f031e2.png

image.png.903b93b0cc37096e46aa20d12156b594.png

image.png.abd46a7c2b2db12992f687bd91ea89eb.png

image.png.48526ec847cb99590cc929ca6d0fe431.png

image.png.b4fc63c2960e6b777eb5a24ebbb5492f.png

image.png.a74e9d114e519ff1934710b6a76a7819.png

image.png.ba7a859b93b0cd60e3115f8970f1a298.png

image.png.98bd07176857fcdaa6bf092b48cbe4a1.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 4

This Edsel is a time capsule of how they all were in the 1970s and 80s. 
It has all the typical Edsel problems.  

Yes, it was a Teletouch car, but yes it also has been converted to a floor shift. How much damage was done would need investigation, but typically the added shifters were cheap slipshod affairs and are reversible. If the parts were lost, they are obtainable. 

I can’t see what’s on the floor.  It should be a red floor mat (not carpet!) and cutting for the floor shift destroys the unobtainable un-reproduced part. Common for “restored” cars to have carpets. 

Original (saggy) padded dash is nice. Only in the last couple of months has a reproduction come out. Expensive (of course) delivery is slow but hopefully will get better. So even a tired original is good to see. 

Narrow whitewalls and a dirty, un-detailed, mostly original car typical of a collector car that attracts lots of interest but never much money. 

The stick holding up the trunk is another classic Edsel accessory. The (rather heavy) lid is supported by torsion bars that are held by hooks made from pot metal.  A dab of lubriplate during assembly and a few years later the sliding metal on metal snaps the hook and the owner needs to fabricate the accessory stick to keep the lid open. 

The seat was upholstered incorrectly. Very typical, the white diamond vinyl does NOT continue under the driver.  The driver sits red vinyl.  
Edsels are similar to the Pontiac “over the shoulder look” and Mopar asymmetrical patterns that look unbalanced and upholstery shops can’t resist the need to “correct” them. 

Town & Country (signal seeking) radio which used to be a hot feature but now with Bluetooth conversions all you really want is the “look” of the optional radio.  

Current owner has removed the Treadle-vac power brakes and installed the (mandatory?) dual master setup. 

So, typical Edsel with all the typical problems. Decent car, not overly priced (for a convertible) but would need a lot of repairs and sorting to bring it up to current standards but you could also just use it as is fixing just was is needed to keep it functional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Citation for me, or nothing

As someone who has been around Edsels for a long time, I suggest you follow the old advertising line "Try BEFORE you buy".

The big cars a gorgeous to look at, but hideous to drive.

And parts are way more difficult to get. Surprisingly, few things interchange between the two cars.

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

As someone who has been around Edsels for a long time, I suggest you follow the old advertising line "Try BEFORE you buy".

The big cars a gorgeous to look at, but hideous to drive.

And parts are way more difficult to get. Surprisingly, few things interchange between the two cars.

Agreed !

My understanding is, that

Despite the several "Unique" styling of Edsel,

The smaller series Ranger and Pacer were based loosely on Ford,

while the upper series Citation and Corsair were based on Mercury-

Some opine that the for Edsel models were created to fill a gap which didn't need to be filled -

but rather to have more versions to compete with the other two of the "Big Three"

The public reacted accordingly ...

along with multiple disparaging descriptions related to styling choices.

Probably the least offensive compared the 1958 Edsel to a Mercury sucking a Lemon-

others are not appropriate to note here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, m-mman said:

Yes, it was a Teletouch car, but yes it also has been converted to a floor shift. How much damage was done would need investigation, but typically the added shifters were cheap slipshod affairs and are reversible. If the parts were lost, they are obtainable.

Impressive vision!  Thanks for the clarification, I had to look hard after you mentioned it to see the floor shifter in the photo.

Robert

On 9/15/2023 at 8:16 AM, TAKerry said:

I had to go back, looked hard for a few minutes at the int. pics. I dont see a floor shifter, then again I could never find Waldo.

Sorry, I'll get my eyes checked!  I looked at the interior photo from the drivers side and thought (see circle in attached photo) that was a shift knob.  However, I enlarged it and also went to the posting and found a photo from the passenger side and I also do not see a floor shifter.  

image.png.eb75b6fc3399674dbfda48183159edc4.png

image.jpeg.c71acd53cbe3e8f1a147d15e489ef871.jpeg

Not sure why m-mman says it was converted to a floor shifter.  So, I guess I have to flop back from the flip.

Robert 

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible - "Complete with all original parts, Near perfect body and interior" - $15,500 - Spokane, WA - Not Mine - 9/19 SOLD!