1933 Lincoln KA Phaeton Project

The tires on the Lincoln were from the late 60's.........and a close look at details show the new owner purchased a $62,000 scratch ticket. Do you feel lucky? Personally I don't gamble with numbers like that. It could be two or three years before you drive it if the engine is bad. From the looks of things, it's unlikely it had a Pebble Beach quality rebuild 50 years ago. I have been lucky many times buying non running cars. Eventually your lucks runs out. Best wishes for the new owner. Hope he drives it.

• Like 4

WOW 62,000 docket's spent on a wing and prayer.  I guess the assumption(?) is the buyer didn't go and inspect it.  I at least hope the buyer knows these cars.

I sold a car on BAT and the high bidder never paid for the car.  I eventually had to take the 2nd highest bidders price.  BAT does not make any guarantees about the seller actually getting paid once bidding concludes    That car I sold on BAT wasn't even a third of the price of this Lincoln.

Edited by deac (see edit history)

On 9/9/2023 at 4:25 PM, edinmass said:

The value of the car could be increased greatly by throwing away the trip lights, the chrome side mount covers, paint the orange wheels the fender color, go to Blackwalls, and install a new darker top.

Come on Ed. By just changing the tires powder coating the wheels, Throwing the pilot rays in the trashcan along with that stupid second windshield you’ve got a fantastic piece of garage art. And then it is possible that he gets lucky.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Come on Ed. By just changing the tires powder coating the wheels, Throwing the pilot rays in the trashcan along with that stupid second windshield you’ve got a fantastic piece of garage art. And then it is possible that he gets lucky.

And after all that……it’s a KA, not a KB…………why roll the dice on a KA?

• Like 3

On 9/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I hope the seller gets all the money in the world for it. I hope the new owner doesn't have an engine rebuild in his future. I hope the new owner loves the color combination. I hope it gets driven until the tires are bald.

The nice thing about BaT and cars like this is that they peanut gallery typically knows nothing about them. There's nobody to nit-pick it like they do with Corvettes and BMWs. They just think it's beautiful and [mostly] have no idea what it's really worth or what's involved with recommissioning it. I guarantee the high bidder(s) believe it's just a tank of gas, some fresh fluids, and a battery away from being ready to run again. I don't know if we'll ever find out how it turns out, but the reality will probably be eye-opening for someone.

As I said, if someone wants this car right and even if everything is a go internally, there's still $10,000-15,000 minimum to be spent before they try to turn the key. I'm not sure it's fair to mention that in the auction (I hesitate to skunk it for the seller) but it'll need a complete fuel system and a complete cooling system at the very least. My radiator was $2500 and I think that was cheap. Water pump was $1000 and I'm going to have to do it twice. Carburetor rebuild was $1200. Gas tank was $800. Fuel pump was $700. Dual Optima batteries were $900. Tires will be $500 each x 6 + tubes + flaps + mounting. Gas tank restoration was $800. Hell, just fresh oil and coolant will be more than $200. Add in the fact that I did all the assembly and tuning myself and that stuff is probably 100 hours of labor, so if you're paying a shop that's a quick $20,000+ bill right there. The seller keeps acting like the car hasn't been sitting for very long since he parked it in the '90s, but that was 30 YEARS AGO.

I personally think it would be foolhardy to try to start that engine without removing the heads, dropping the pan, and looking at the valves. A gasket set is $1200 and head gaskets alone are $500.

Of course the way things go, this car will get a battery and gas at the hands of a hack mechanic and will run perfectly. Everybody gets lucky except me, it seems.

900$ for 2 optima batteries ?? I just bought one 6 volt battery for 180 Euro = 195 $ .Was on my doorstep the next day .700$ for fuel pump ..down here you can buy sheets and cut them to size and put them in the pump .Those sheets cost 10-15 a piece .I am happy it does not cost so much down here in Belgium .I just finished the brake system overhaul on my 40 Buick phaeton for 50Euro .New rubbers in the pumps after good cleaning out and inspecting the insides .Everything was new 30years ago .

On 9/15/2023 at 1:22 PM, deac said:

WOW 62,000 docket's spent on a wing and prayer.  I guess the assumption(?) is the buyer didn't go and inspect it.  I at least hope the buyer knows these cars.

Looks like the buyer has bought 51 cars on BAT in the last 3 years, mostly Corvettes but a few CCCA cars that are older restorations.  So whoever he/she/it is, they probably have the resources to figure it out or at least aren't going to be too personally invested in it.   https://bringatrailer.com/member/ddseoe/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, classiclines said:

Congratulations !!!   Well-bought!   Hope you enjoy it immensely !

I'm not the current owner, but I do work at the Shop that got it running and cleaned up. Super nice ride. I'm sure it will be out and about next summer. 

1 hour ago, Jbalz97 said:

I'm not the current owner, but I do work at the Shop that got it running and cleaned up. Super nice ride. I'm sure it will be out and about next summer. 

Sending the car to a shop to get running……is much different than getting it sorted. Hell, tires today are 500 each with tubes,shipping, and labor. How about a brief what was done? Quick and dirty or completely gone through? Hopefully the gamble paid off. Nothing better than a happy new owner.

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

Sending the car to a shop to get running……is much different than getting it sorted. Hell, tires today are 500 each with tubes,shipping, and labor. How about a brief what was done? Quick and dirty or completely gone through? Hopefully the gamble paid off. Nothing better than a happy new owner.

We are a Classic Car Garage that mostly works on stuff from the 20s-30's on up with the exception of a few late models. The lincoln is up and running, but is still being gone through. We'll aware of the prices of tires these days, it's pretty crazy. The Lincoln, while not perfect, is still in extremely decent shape all around. 

• Like 6

Glad it's in good experienced hands. Often time you get lucky..........sometimes you don't. Our little Buick we figured 50 hours to have it running down the road, we ended up with about 200 hours. Mostly labor......parts and tires were more money than we expected.......isn't that always the case?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Glad it's in good experienced hands. Often time you get lucky..........sometimes you don't. Our little Buick we figured 50 hours to have it running down the road, we ended up with about 200 hours. Mostly labor......parts and tires were more money than we expected.......isn't that always the case?  

That's always the way. They are definitely a labor of love. 

• Like 1