1932 Model clarification

Rick George

The lower tag Buick Motor Co is your identifier. It is a 1932 Model 57S. The Fisher Body tag contains their internal job #, body style #, trim and paint codes.

My apologies, I totally missed that the lower tags were from your friend’s car.

Edited by 31Buick96S (see edit history)

Hi Rick,

Glad to see you got your car running again for the wedding and summer fun, hope all is well.

Interestingly enough, 57 and 67 Fisher bodies were the same, with the exception of the firewall (indent for 50 series with shorter WB).

The early 32s appear to have only one tag for the Fisher specs, and the later 32s appear to have two tags, one for the Fisher specs and one for the Buick specs, and apparently some of the Buick dealers stamped the Buick tags with the month/day/year of receipt date and/or sale date.

You have something interesting with body# 694, I need to dig a little deeper into my archives to find out more about your specs to see if anything turns up to help...

Can you please post pics of the front shock absorbers and the rear bumper?

Edited by 32buick67 (see edit history)

In 1932 both the 56 and 57 models were the base models.  56S and 57S were the deluxe models.  the base models had only one tail light assembly on the left rear.  The horn trumpets were black and the headlight stanchions were black.  The deluxe models had both rear tail lights and chrome horns and headlight stanchions.

One word of caution on this, many restorers added these features to the base models.

Bob Engle

On 9/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, 32buick67 said:

Hi Rick,

Glad to see you got your car running again for the wedding and summer fun, hope all is well.

Interestingly enough, 57 and 67 Fisher bodies were the same, with the exception of the firewall (indent for 60 series with longer engine block).

The early 32s appear to have only one tag for the Fisher specs, and the later 32s appear to have two tags, one for the Fisher specs and one for the Buick specs, and apparently some of the Buick dealers stamped the Buick tags with the month/day/year of receipt date and/or sale date.

You have something interesting with body# 694, I need to dig a little deeper into my archives to find out more about your specs to see if anything turns up to help...

I will provide pics when I get home again.  Here's a pic of my firewall.20221003_201117.jpg.01f011ad2401e5d05e93f6a4622f2966.jpg

On 9/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, 32buick67 said:

Hi Rick,

Interestingly enough, 57 and 67 Fisher bodies were the same, with the exception of the firewall (indent for 60 series with longer engine block).

Per your request.

20230908_143303.jpg

20230908_143340.jpg

Thanks Rick

I have to admit I am a bit stumped to get more details about your cars history, this is kind of getting interesting for history folks...

Details about your Body No. 694 remain elusive, and the low position of the firewall tag is even more interesting based on your peers.

Most 32 Buicks had two tags as mentioned, and they were positioned higher on the firewall toward the top of the cowl.

What are the colors?  Blue-tan?  Repaint?

Maybe another 32 owner with only one firewall tag can post some pics.

Do you have any indication your car was built late 1931?

My hunch is yes, maybe very early in the production run, or maybe even early enough to be a promotional show car???

The 32 Buick was launched mid-Nov 1931, and many of the 32 parts were already stocked in Sept-Oct 1931 such as KH wheels, etc.

Does your engine have a bronze wizard valve or a diecast valve?

image.png.a6fe88ae74dd700d7a10f19a5cd85e86.png

History and provenance aside, how is it running?

Does it drive and stop well?

Having fun like the rest of us Buick purveyors?

On 9/7/2023 at 9:15 AM, Robert Engle said:

In 1932 both the 56 and 57 models were the base models.  56S and 57S were the deluxe models.  the base models had only one tail light assembly on the left rear.  The horn trumpets were black and the headlight stanchions were black.  The deluxe models had both rear tail lights and chrome horns and headlight stanchions.

One word of caution on this, many restorers added these features to the base models.

Bob Engle

I have 2 tail lights and chrome headlight stanchions.  But my horn trumpets are black.

Screenshot_20230909_104038_Photos.jpg

The subject car is definitely missing the model number tag and since it used to reside right where that accessory heater tube now passes thru the firewall it was probably removed.  What happened to it after that is anyone's guess.  Whoever installed the heater should have moved the tag or at least kept it with the car and it's owner.

What is kind of interesting with Rick's 57S Fisher tag is that it only has two rows of data vs other 32s with four rows (missing TRIM, PAINT).

Also, the position is interesting - the 60-80-90 series have the unpainted small Buick tag horizontally close to a rivet, and the painted large Fisher tag above the Buick tag.

But on Rick's 57S, the Fisher tag is well below the rivet.

Could it have been moved?  But who/why would anyone waste the effort?

And there doesn't appear to be original Fisher tag rivet holes above.

I think @dibarlaw is on to something with what seems to be a left rivet hole, and right hole concealed by heater hose bulkhead?

@Robert Engle do you have a pic of your 50 series data plates, are they at higher elevations like the 60-80-90 series or lower, similar to Rick's?

Maybe folks with 1931s can post data plate pics to help determine if Rick's firewall is an early 32, which maybe had 1931 production procedures regarding Fisher and Buick plate locations?

Did 1931 and prior Fisher data plates have two rows of data or four?

Anyone have any specs or details for Fisher Body No. 694?

I have body tag codes and other trim info, but I cannot find 694.

image.png.97ff3ebb9a2caf60f778727d61929ea0.png

On 9/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, 32buick67 said:

Thanks Rick

I have to admit I am a bit stumped to get more details about your cars history, this is kind of getting interesting for history folks...

Details about your Body No. 694 remain elusive, and the low position of the firewall tag is even more interesting based on your peers.

Most 32 Buicks had two tags as mentioned, and they were positioned higher on the firewall toward the top of the cowl.

What are the colors?  Blue-tan?  Repaint?

Maybe another 32 owner with only one firewall tag can post some pics.

Do you have any indication your car was built late 1931?

My hunch is yes, maybe very early in the production run, or maybe even early enough to be a promotional show car???

The 32 Buick was launched mid-Nov 1931, and many of the 32 parts were already stocked in Sept-Oct 1931 such as KH wheels, etc.

Does your engine have a bronze wizard valve or a diecast valve?

image.png.a6fe88ae74dd700d7a10f19a5cd85e86.png

History and provenance aside, how is it running?

Does it drive and stop well?

Having fun like the rest of us Buick purveyors?

My cowl has an indent which I believe confirms it is a 57.  Yes?

I agree the 2nd tag might have been removed for the heater installation.  There's definitely a rivet hole visible.

I'm not sure I've seen the wizard valve during my rebuild.  Where would I find it?

Colors are brown and tan.  Likely a repaint.

I paid a repair shop to work on the clutch plate.  They got it drivable.  It was misbehaving when warm, lots of sluggishness and backfiring.  A friend recommended a new coil.  That seemed to do the trick.  It starts, runs and stops well now.

It had an electric fuel pump that I plan to replace because it is so loud.  I'm looking for recommendations if you have any.  I'm considering an Airtex e8011.

My last concern at this time is that it's consuming water.  It was down about 1/2 gallon after 40 miles.  My oil is clean so it's not getting into the oil.  No puddles or drips at the radiator.  I see a little green water under the water pump.  Do you know anybody who rebuilds these?

Thanks to everyone for their input.  This is fun and I love the car.

Edited by Rick George
Clarification (see edit history)

On 9/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, Robert Engle said:

Interesting combination!  Replacement horn trumpets??  or earlier owner liked the black look?

Bob Engle

One of the black trumpets was broken into two pieces and jb welded back together. I would love to find chrome trumpets for this car.

On the water pump, They are fairly easy to rebuild. Impellors and packing is available from Bob's Automobilia.  Usually the leakage problem just needs packing.  Follow the instructions in the 1932 Buick manual. 

The honey comb radiators have a tendency to lose flow as the openings for the water to flow top to bottom trap sediment due to the small passageways.  I remove the radiators and turn them upside down and let water flow from the bottom  to the top.  The radiator should drain in 2 to 4 seconds.  When the engine is hot, use an infrared thermometer to scan the radiator for hot or cold spots.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

wizzard control photos.  There were two different valve systems, one has brass cast parts.  More cars had the diecast parts.  

Bob Engle

20200206_135139.jpg

20200206_135203 (1).jpg

I believe my wizard is die-cast.  I also believe it is missing components.  Here's the best pic I could find.    

20221001_181421.jpg

• Like 1

The wizzard valve on the transmission appears bronze on the top.  you will need to clean the gunk covering the valve body to make sure.  Be prepared for a major learning experience if you plan to make the Wizzard control operational.  I've never attempted it, but I just put the parts on to look correct.

Bob's Automobilia has the pedal pads.  There are probably other sources as well.

Bob Engle

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

The wizzard valve on the transmission appears bronze on the top.  you will need to clean the gunk covering the valve body to make sure.  Be prepared for a major learning experience if you plan to make the Wizzard control operational.  I've never attempted it, but I just put the parts on to look correct.

Bob's Automobilia has the pedal pads.  There are probably other sources as well.

Bob Engle

That’s why I want the wizard control to complete the look 

I have some spare parts such as the vacuum chamber and the intake manifold fitting that directs vacuum to the valve assembly under the manifolds.  Let me know what you are missing and I will search my part bins and send photos of what I have.  The factory specs and adjustments manual has good drawings of the entire assembly.

Bob Engle

On 9/14/2023 at 2:03 AM, demco32 said:

is anybody know who can make a fisher body tag?

The one on my car is missing.

Thanks.

I’ve been looking someone for years to make a replacement one for my 38.. No

one wants to , closest thing I found was a hot

rod fabricator who made a fishertag but it was laser etched . Let me see if I can find it , in my tool box didn’t like it so I put it there . 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 3:33 PM, demco32 said:

is anybody know who can make a fisher body tag?

Try looking for a Photo engraver. I had similar tags made by a company who did work for the funeral industry. Very similar process to making printed circuit boards, acid resistant coating and unexposed areas get washed away then dunk in acid until the bare portion is eaten away. Hobby electronics shops normally carry the gear to do this so perhaps have a try?

Steve

• Like 1

I’m a little late to the party here but I noticed a few things, my data plate for my 32 96s is 32108 yours is 31108, so I’ll bet its a 31. As for the Wizard, mine works .. sort of .. it was hanging up between 1st and 2 nd gear leaving the car stuck in first. But it does work.  Easy fix just remove the link on top of the trans and you disable the Wizard. I also capped the  vacuum line to the diaphragm to ensure I had no vac leaks.. it pulls about 19 inches. In the photo you’ll see also the wiper line is disconnected, disregard that. I’ll look for your body number and see what I can come up with.. Cheers  Steve

E535B4D6-DCB1-46BF-9265-2EE9BA2A4208.jpeg

0F960EC6-FCDA-4EE4-8B53-616586004D4D.jpeg

07C7AB4B-29BC-49A4-9FAF-A9346602CA35.jpeg

• Like 3