Please help identify this car

Ugly Rumor

I know it is a 1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe.  Can this description be narrowed further?  I’ve been told that the two tail lights, spare tire, and rumble seat is a rare combination.  I am trying to ascertain a value, as the car is in an estate.  I’m not asking for an opinion of value, though you are free to give one.  Primarily I need to know as precisely as possible what it is.  Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.IMG_1902.jpeg.1ab3027affd859ec96e03ce29cab75b7.jpegIMG_1924.jpeg.627aec781fa9ef01616bb2d01556c906.jpegIMG_1901.jpeg.1469cce65736a17aca436210b22e1df4.jpeg

You might also post on the VCCA forums at  https://vccachat.org/ . Those guys know so many little details it will really surprise you.

The style, trim, and paint lines on the lower tag you pictured will tell you what it is and what paint color and which upholstery it had originally. The body number is just a serial number for the body (not the car) and is not useful. I doubt 2 tail lights were unusual by 1938, but the guys on the VCCA forum will know. I can't even guess about the spare tire.

It should have a serial number on the frame and a different one on the engine. I am surprised to see the upper tag with a "car number". Maybe that's the frame number. That's how Chevrolet did it later on (50s) with a tag in the door jamb. It's a nice looking car. Good luck.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Ugly Rumor said:

I know it is a 1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe.  Can this description be narrowed further?  I’ve been told that the two tail lights, spare tire, and rumble seat is a rare combination.  I am trying to ascertain a value, as the car is in an estate.  I’m not asking for an opinion of value, though you are free to give one.  Primarily I need to know as precisely as possible what it is.  Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Sport Coupe.  Rumble and two tail lights standard on that model, as is outside spare (because no trunk to put it in).  Rumbles were pretty much gone by WW2 so yes, it's rare.  No clue on value but there are several published guides that may help.  Here ya go:

image.jpeg.a638f90de475d9fe0b6e6d72b48ae9c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.d09c1997928e2ce9a9952428ca2968c7.jpeg

• Like 2

Interesting no doubt rare car, I didn't realize Chev carried rumble seats into 1938. As for value, needs at least 2 determined buyers to get a good feel for top price. While it looks very nice, mechanicals and undercarriage will need to be closely examined. dust suggests it has been sitting for a while, never good for tires, belts, some other stuff, and hopefully free of mice.

22 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Interesting no doubt rare car, I didn't realize Chev carried rumble seats into 1938. As for value, needs at least 2 determined buyers to get a good feel for top price. While it looks very nice, mechanicals and undercarriage will need to be closely examined. dust suggests it has been sitting for a while, never good for tires, belts, some other stuff, and hopefully free of mice.

I believe 38 was the last year for Chev rumble seats.  IIRC, Plymouth carried into 39 as did Ford for convertibles, but 36 was the last year for Ford coupes.

21 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

1938 Chevrolet total model year production 470,766. 

Of that number 2,790 were Master Deluxe Sport Coupes.

So 0.6% of total - that's pretty rare.  Any stats on Business (non-rumble-seat) Coupes?  Be interesting to see percentages of both coupes relative to each other and to total.

5 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

So 0.6% of total - that's pretty rare.  Any stats on Business (non-rumble-seat) Coupes?  Be interesting to see percentages of both coupes relative to each other and to total.

Master Deluxe HA coupe - 36,106.

Master HB coupe - 39,793.

It would appear that the rarest versions were the, presumably flatback, four door sedans, HB 522, HA 236. 

I can only quote what is in The Standard Catalog.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Master Deluxe HA coupe - 36,106.

Master HB coupe - 39,793.

It would appear that the rarest versions were the, presumably flatback, four door sedans, HB 522, HA 236. 

I can only quote what is in The Standard Catalog.

Thanks.  So the 2,790 Sport Coupes are 3.7% of 75,899 total coupes  or 7.7% of 36,106 HA coupes, still pretty rare.

The brochure shows four door and two door flat-backs, apparently available in both Master and Master De Luxe trims.  It calls the 4-door "Sedan" and the 2-door "Coach" and both have external spare - again because no trunk to put it in.  The trunk models are "Sport Sedan" (4-door) and "Town Sedan" (2-door).

1 hour ago, Tom Boehm said:

In this case, does rarity result in increased value over other 1938 Chevrolet coupes? Good discussion question.

In this case I would suggest rarity does not equate to value. Body style and condition are your primary value drivers.

Convertibles demand a higher price. Four Door Sedans are priced the lowest with the Coupes slightly higher than the 4 Doors and probably the Rumble Seat Coupe a bit more than the standard Coupe. I would suggest an extremely nice original or really well restored sedan in perfect running condition would fetch $20-$25K. A Convertible in that same condition would be in the $35-$40K range. I would add maybe $5-$7K over the sedan for a Rumble Seat Coupe. That is just based on what I see being sold the last year or so.

Scott

• Like 1

Business coupes are popular.  I would say on par with convertible sedans depending on the chassis.

The rumble seat cuts both ways.  Cool option but it eliminates trunk space for cars used to tour.

Much more important to the value of this particular car is the mechanical condition.  If it doesn't run you won't get that much for it.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, alsancle said:

Business coupes are popular.  I would say on par with convertible sedans depending on the chassis.

The rumble seat cuts both ways.  Cool option but it eliminates trunk space for cars used to tour.

Much more important to the value of this particular car is the mechanical condition.  If it doesn't run you won't get that much for it.

^This^  Rumble seats are cool (although dubious safety) for hauling around kids/grandkids and they love it.  Not so much for adults, especially senior ones - hard to climb in and out of,  pretty cramped and better hope it's nice weather.  I had a rumble seat car for decades and can count on one hand the number of times anybody rode back there.

• Like 1