Who restores aluminum trim pieces?

Bob Shafto

I have never done so, but a buddy of mine spent the winter doing the trim for his 57 chevy. It was all flea market find stuff, typical old looking and dented. He got some kind of a jewelers hammer and anvil? and went to town on the stuff. Tapped all of the dents out then polished with what I dont know. Looks all better than new.

• Like 1

Buffing wheel works best but you have to know how to use one or the pad can catch while/what  you are buffing and fling it out of your hands, or if you hold back then catches and bends what you are working on. There are different rouges to apply to the buffing wheel for different metals, some softer some with more grit. You need to wear a face mask and gloves plus other precautions. Not an " instant learn and do " without precautions.

I found this out decades ago when a friend who restored brass lamps taught me what and how to do it. Biggest thing to remember is to STOP when you start to get tired.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Almost any bumper shop should be able to buff and polish the pieces. A shop in Buffalo did my door window sills  the first time I painted my '64 Riviera. They were scratched and dull.

It is really hard work. Joe Galina used to sell Riviera parts and polished a lot of stainless. He was old and you could tell he was pushing himself after a batch. Don't underestimate the value of someone doing it. And those parts will yank right out of your hands with a vengeance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It is really hard work.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Don't underestimate the value of someone doing it. And those parts will yank right out of your hands with a vengeance.

ABSOLUTELY , and if the part doesn't yank out of your hands because you are holding back "to save the piece" you can tear open a significant chunk of your skin. this is no joke and is not being stated to scare you - it is fact.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Walt G said:

ABSOLUTELY , and if the part doesn't yank out of your hands because you are holding back "to save the piece" you can tear open a significant chunk of your skin. this is no joke and is not being stated to scare you - it is fact.

And it happens really fast too. Seen it happen. Luckily no personal injury but the part was trashed after hitting the wall. 

3 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

That trim may be anodized aluminum, much harder to work on as the finish will not polish.

More than likely anodized being a mid to late Ford product.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:44 PM, Walt G said:

A buffing wheel is the most dangerous tool in the shop. It is capable of great bodily harm and when it happens it happens sooo fast you won't know it until you see the blood............................Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the inexperienced hands a polishing machine can be dangerous

also if the trim has patches where the anodize has worn through the polishing mop will remove more material on the worn parts

so you  need to have the hard anodize removed first to enable you to polish and keep the shape of trim